9,897 Posts
I found this page which I think relates to FedEx customs clearance charges
Import Clearance (Ancillary Fees)

Select United Kingdom as the country/territory

Then scroll down to :
Pre-Payment (Direct Payment Processing)
or
Disbursement Fee
I think we get charged under one of those two headings but the charging structure is the same for both.
There are three tiers, set by the amount of Duty / VAT.
The first two tiers have a flat fee.
On tier 1 30% of 42.50 is 12.50 which happens to be the flat rate fee for tier 2.
VAT of 42.50 implies goods costing £212.50.
The upper limit of tier 2 is £510 so the % charge at the top end is 2.5% which is the rate applying above that ...
VAT of 510 implies goods costing £2,550 which is heading for Fulgarex territory.

So if the goods are given the correct customs code for Toy Trains as Babz listed above, they come in as duty free, so we just pay the VAT on the sterling equivalent of the total invoice which includes carriage charges.

So the lowest handling rate you can get from Fed Ex is 2.5% of VAT which kicks on goods valued at £2,550. I suspect most of us will not reach that level so we're probably looking at £12.50 for most shipments.

David

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi David Thank you for your comprehensive response Thank you.
When I have received orders from MSL via DHL/ PARCELFORCE I have always had a copy of CN23 Customs Declaration with all the commodity codes on it so I can check everything is okay.
I think FedEx have removed them so now we have no way of Checking at the moment.
I have asked the MD of MSL for a copy but as of yet he has not come back to me with a copy. I am not letting this go with the past record of Fed Ex.
I will keep everyone posted.
Babz

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hi Everyone Just to give you an update. I have had some success with The Md of MSL.
If I order from MSL again the staff have been told that my Deliveries will be done through DHL/ Parcelforce which I am comfortable with because they give a detailed Customs label detailing what you have been charged for.
Now if there was Duty on there I then take it up with HMRC with the appropriate Cn23 and the invoices from MSL and of course the very simple form to reclaim the Duty.
No big deal. As I had a business sometime ago before the single market I used to import every week and nothing has materially changed from that time.
When I have resolved the next part I will keep you informed. Babs

·
Administrator
9,897 Posts
I am looking forward to hearing if Fed Ex fulfil their obligation to supply an invoice detailing the VAT and other charges. I can imagine HMRC would be less than impressed if there's a company out there claiming money on their behalf without providing the details.

David

Reactions: Julian2011 and Babz

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh dear.
It's FedEx for everyone apparently. Its the only drop down option that I have as well.

Freight cost (lowish) from MSL used to be the reason for buying from them. Not anymore.
Good thing that I dont have any money to spend.

Reactions: Babz

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good Afternoon Everyone A bit of Bad News and Good, Through my own investigation and asking MSL some pertinent Questions I have got to the bottom of this.
MSL did not provide commodity Code to FedEx
Fed Ex Could not work out which country the Parcel was coming From ( DE ) = Germany ( Prats )
Fed Ex Used the Wrong Commodity Code
Fed Ex have provided me a Detailed Invoice and Fed Ex transport Documents after much pressure given by me.
Have now filled in the reclaim of Duty Form Which is (C285CDS v 4.0 )
Just sent this & relevant Docs to HMRC.
Fed Ex must be the most useless courier in the world judging by what loads of people say about them incompetence of the highest order.
Hope this helps someone now or in the future.
Babs

·
Administrator
9,897 Posts
Thanks for posting those details Babz
I would press 'like' on the post but that seems wrong somehow for such a mess...

David

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
David Thank you I totaly agree. They do not deserve to be in business. I do know you appreciate what I have put up. Thank you.
Have a Great weekend.
Babs
Ps David if you hold down the like button there are other emjoi's if that is the correct term. B

21 - 31 of 31 Posts