Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Well, I had my first experience of MSL / Fedex today, and must say I'm pleasantly surprised.
After hearing of Babs experiences, I wasn't expecting much, but order was placed with MSL on the night of the 7th December. After their confirmation of shipping a few days later, I got several emails and texts from Fedex saying the shipment was en route and an ETA. Last night about 6pm, I got a message from them saying that VAT needed to be paid, followed the link provided and paid the VAT and £12 something handling charge (similar to Parcelforce), and the shipment arrived today at about 2.30pm. I think everything went quickly and smoothly. With DHL / Parcelforce, I've had to wait for a letter from Parcelforce requesting the VAT, go to their website to pay it, and then wait a few more days for delivery. So my initial experience has been a positive one. Lets hope its not a one off.
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Alan I think you got Lucky You only have to read the reviews online I would like to add is the Parcelforce office is only 5 minutes from where I live. Also I follow the tracking to when it gets to the local office. I then go to the office pay the Vat and the fee. I usualy get the letter long after I have paid and collected at the same time It suits me as I do not have too wait around all day for a delivery. And the staff have known me for many years.Babs

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
That's a plus point Babs , we used to have a local one in Romford several years ago, but now my nearest one is miles away at Canning Town just off the very busy A13 road heading into London so I avoid that at all cost. Lets hope I can stay lucky with Fedex
Regards
Alan

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was due to have another delivery by FedEx yesterday, there are roadworks and a partial road closures on my road but you can still get access, the pavement is not closed. I received a tracking update to say that they had not delivered due to local circumstances, delivery not attempted. Funny thing was, ten minutes later, the Amazon courier arrived and delivered two parcels! Seems the FedEx guy just saw the road closed sign and turned around. Is now due again today so will see what happens. I have told them the road is open again after 3.30

Their updates and communication system seems a shambles.

·
Administrator
9,995 Posts
Their updates and communication system seems a shambles.
That is my impression as well. The 'delivery day' quoted in the first email you get seems to be 'burned in'. My last delivery came a day earlier than the original quote, not that I'm complaining but the email announcing the 'delivery today' still had the following day as the 'headline'.
For me it highlights a lack of attention to detail.

David

Reactions: Babz

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've experienced the MSL with FedEx delivery process four times now and apart from one occasion when they claimed they couldn't deliver due to roadworks when the Amazon guy turned up ten minutes later, they have all gone fairly smoothly. The last one actually arrived a day earlier than the estimate. The main issue seems to be the tracking system. A friend of mine has been less fortunate though, he had one parcel sit in the Dartford office for several days before they then sent it back to Germany for no apparent reason

·
C55
2,602 Posts
I've experienced the MSL with FedEx delivery process four times now and apart from one occasion when they claimed they couldn't deliver due to roadworks when the Amazon guy turned up ten minutes later, they have all gone fairly smoothly. The last one actually arrived a day earlier than the estimate. The main issue seems to be the tracking system. A friend of mine has been less fortunate though, he had one parcel sit in the Dartford office for several days before they then sent it back to Germany for no apparent reason
Umm, how very encouraging... [not you, of course] but the attitude displayed by Fedex. Compared to the efforts of the Royal Mail system and other good carriers, they don't register on the scale.

Others leave notes through the letter box, detailing their action should they be unable to get someone at the door, or including a picture of where they may have left an item.

I know where I prefer not to send any of my valued items through.

Julian

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Well, seems I got lucky again, Placed an order with Train Safe for a couple of long Vision Tubes on the 20th (had to pay 130 euros shipping as one of them was over 180cm 😕, but that's another story)
Package was handed to FedEx on 22nd, I got several update messages from them regarding tracking etc. This morning at about 7.30 I got a message from FedEx saying that VAT had to be paid,
followed the link and payed at about 8.00 am, package delivered by FedEx at about 10.30 am
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Alan That's Great you did get lucky. The bad news the Customs arrangements are changing on the 1st of January I have been reading up but it makes no sense at the moment. Merry Christmas to you and Have a Better New Year. Babs

·
Registered
261 Posts
I’m curious about what affect the change on 1st of January might make too. From what I read, it seemed to suggest there will be no exceptions anymore and more checks but no changes as such to the current arrangements with the retailer being responsible for charging the VAT on goods worth less than £135

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Hi Simon I think the changes are along the lines of where they are made ie China so we have to proof of origin that say Marklin/ Trix are made in Gernany otherwise they assume they were made outside the EU and for the purpose of UKPLC money grabbing Duty. Bad News all round. I have an order coming from MSL on the 5th of January. Watch this space. Happy New year. Babs
Ps Where I get pissed off is HMRC are so inaccurate in there calculations and they do not follow there own rules which makes life difficult. I have no problem paying Duty & Vat if it the commodity code says so otherwise I get pd off.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Simon I cannot get definitive answer on this if you bring them in personal ( By plane) you have an allowance of £390.00 per person so I understand, but your partner cannot share on their allowances. Who dreams up this crap. Babs

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology
Simon that is correct if you look up the codes the correct code is in the pic I have attached and if you go into ( Simply Duty) website it will work it out for you There is no Duty on Model Electric trains or scale Models commodity code= 9503003000. Babs

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Yes, crap indeed. It is astounding that there is a return to such unnecessary complexity.

Like why on earth should dolls be taxed differently, based on being human or not? Seriously, what IS the justification for this? Someone, somewhere, in a policy setting said something like: "but human-like dolls should be taxed differently because (insert totally ridiculous reason here)" - AND - the rest of the team agreed; and somone else higher up approved it.

Why are dolls carriages taxed as a ride-on device; and not as a doll accessory?o_O

Next thing you know, UK will see trading with Australia as cost-effective, despite the expense of dealing with a country on the other side of the world, about as far away as you can ship something. Oh wait...

Reactions: Julian2011
41 - 60 of 79 Posts