Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've been a member of the forums for a while, so thought it was about time to post our model railway.

Muchchangingcentral

I would post some pictures, but I am not allowed to post dynamic pictures in the post

The layout is a fairly standard oval design with station at the front and storage/fiddleyard at the rear

Rectangle Line Parallel Font Diagram

This trackplan is slightly out of date, but gives a good idea of the size and complexity of things. We are currently installing the MERG cbus system for point and signal control and train detection. The motive power side of the layout is controlled via a home made DCC system using a variety of decoders (mostly TCS).

The whole layout is computer controlled with custom written software. The current version consists of two applications (one for points and signals, one for locomotives) written in Borland c++. I am working on a replacement application written in c# which combines the two. We are working towards full computer automation, which will be incorporated in the control software

I hope you enjoy looking at the site, any and all feedback is welcome

and finally, a quick hello to Waghorn who I met today
proof that life really is full of coincidences

Attachments

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
An interesting looking layout, lots of operational potential

Please post more pics here so we can keep up with your progress

Brian
CME Milldale

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I like the use of multi levels and the use of storage sidings rather than fiddle yard.
Lateral thinking (or should it be vertical
) allows much more economical use of space for storage, which is important if you don't want to remove/handle you finely detailed loco's all the time.
Looks very interesting, will be watching progess with interest.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was initially budget based, but there was also an aspect of seeing how hard it was to do

We have discussed moving over to a bought system, but we are holding off until this one packs up or doesn't offer the features we want

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought it was time I updated the thread, I'll try and get some pictures posted from the site over the next few days for people to look at (see my sig for site, it's a bit flakey atm though, needs some TLC).

Big news for the railway, as we are now moving out of the roof and into a custom "railway" shed. Should have the new shed built around the end of June, then we will need to get all the internals sorted (insulation, burglar alarm etc) and we can get the railway moved in
We will be changing the track plan at the same time to take advantage of the extra space and lack of roof trusses. the fiddle yard will be moving underneath the main station with ramps for access at eaither end and the storage sidings will be moving to underneath the current location of the fiddle yard. The space freed up will be used for a nice scenic section allowing us to have the trains running "through the countryside". It's going to be a lot of work but well worth it

With regard to the control system, we have modified our DCC setup to use the CBUS DCC command station from MERG, which is now connected to our home written software for controlling the railway. the big downside of moving the layout is we had just finished wiring up all the points, sensors and lights for to the CBUS system, giving us realtime computer control of the layout. ho hum

As I said, will try and get some pics added tonight.

Tim

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just added some images of the new trackplan. Still a few tweaks to do (especially with the inclines for the fiddleyard), but you get the idea

Layer 1 - Branchline

Layer 2 - Mainlines

Layer 3 - fiddleyard

Layer 4 - storage sidings

The idea behind the storage sidings and fiddleyard is to allow us to have multiple "eras" ready to run on the layout, so if we are in a steam mood, we load up the fiddleyard with steam era locos and rolling stock and put the rest in the storage sidings out of the way. This means that (in theory) we don't have to keep taking stock off the railway to change what we are running.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This layout is definately living up to it's name! Due to various factors (not least of which were the problems with the loft temperature, even though it was insulated), the decision was taken to move the layout out of the roof and into a purpose built shed. This has the added benefit of making the layout more accessable for those family weekends (stops swmbo from getting too annoyed when we disappear into the shed

Anyway, the shed was put up in May of last year, with work progressing to insulate it and get power in etc. Track laying has now begun and we are moving along at pace to hopefully have a full circuit working by the end of the year. the new track plan is a U shape to avoid a lift out section across the doorway, as part of the reason for moving to the shed was to get rid of access restrictions (like loft ladders). With this in mind, we have opted to try out the use of helix to facilitate level changing between main running lines and fiddle/storage yards.

Right hand side showing the supports for the upper level

Tire Wood Flooring Floor House

The first helix going in (again on the right hand side). The fiddle yards are the same ones from the roof, re-used for convenience here

Naval architecture Wood Engineering Composite material Automotive exterior

Initial tests on the Helix show that we should be able to run 6 coach trains on the layout without too much trouble, although some older locos will have to be either retired to the display case or weighted to augment traction.

Attachments

·
Ex-member
1,051 Posts
Phew! A long time bwteen drinks, as they say - but good to see your progress. All looks very neat and tidy - congrats.
Keep up the updates please!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Traingeekboy, unfortunately that station is no more as a result of the move into the shed. The new station will be on the corner to give us more space on the straights for scenic elements etc. Although we are looking to include some nice curves in the new station as well

current plans are for 4 through lines and 2 terminating bays, but that may change as we get the boards in and check space etc.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
QUOTE (kanonfodda @ 4 May 2011, 20:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just added some images of the new trackplan. Still a few tweaks to do (especially with the inclines for the fiddleyard), but you get the idea

Layer 1 - Branchline

Layer 2 - Mainlines

Layer 3 - fiddleyard

Layer 4 - storage sidings

The idea behind the storage sidings and fiddleyard is to allow us to have multiple "eras" ready to run on the layout, so if we are in a steam mood, we load up the fiddleyard with steam era locos and rolling stock and put the rest in the storage sidings out of the way. This means that (in theory) we don't have to keep taking stock off the railway to change what we are running.

Hi

Could you please post your plans in the Track Plans section (within Tracks, Layouts and Scenery forum) that way many more people can get ideas for their own layouts and all plans are in one convenient place.

Great layout BTW.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I've added the original track plans to the track plans forum (didn't even realise that was there!
) I'll add the new track plans later on when I have access to them

edit:

New track plans for the shed:

Upper (scenic area)

lower (storage area)

The two areas are joined by a Helix at each end to take the trains to the upper/lower levels

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bah, can't edit my post so I'll have to add a new one. Image links went to thumbnails not the full size images.

New track plans for the shed:

Upper (scenic area)

lower (storage area)

The two areas are joined by a Helix at each end to take the trains to the upper/lower levels

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I posted this in the trackplan thread by mistake, so copied here for people to see

QUOTE Thought it was about time I posted some updates!

so, here are a couple of pics and my first ever youtube videos!

First pic is of the completed helix on the station side of the layout. This will allow access from the station into the fiddleyard underneath

Wood Floor Building Automotive exterior Stairs

second pic is of the storage sidings on the opposite side of the layout

Window Wood Tool Flooring Line

This first video is of my new Railroad Evening Star (bought for me by SWMBO), this is the loco drive version of the Hornby 9f and has no problem at all pulling 6 coaches up our Helix:

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/OHYufSSCM4Y?rel=0

The second video was just because I could
this is another one of my own locos - a sound equipped class 20 from Bachmann
No suprise to anyone I'm sure, but this solid lump had absolutely no issue with the incline!

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/5-mFPw5NvhE?rel=0

Hope you enjoy the videos
feedback is always welcome

Attachments

·
Why is&#39;nt it easy &#33;&#33;
2,155 Posts
wow very very nice helix.....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts