Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Multiple Point Control

Can some one tell me is there a way to link pionts with DCC so that groups of points can be operated at the same time ie: one set of cables that are linked to moe than one point?

Pete

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Which controller are you using?

What accessory decoder are you using?

I was advised NOT to connect more than one point up at a time, if you do want to do this it's advised to use a CDU type point decoder which should have the power to switch both points.

Ian

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok guys I'm still in the design stage I plan on buying a dymais pro and I just want to find out what I can and can not do at the moment.

Pete

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

If you want to throw a lot of points with one switch you might take a look at Masterswitch from Bromsgrove Models. This has all the necessary components in an easy to assemble kit.

Like Peter, I am still in the design stage, so I have no actual experience of using Masterswitch, but this looks like a nice way to avoid some of the problems of wiring up multiple points, which can have a very heavy power consumption, amongst other issues. For more details see the Masterswitch FAQ

By the way, there is another thread on almost the same topic, see Point Control Thread

My name may seem familiar, but I have no actual connection to Bromsgrove Model, other than our names.

Regards
John Russell
Vienna, Austria

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
I use the NCE Powercab pro which will allow me to set routes, with sending just 1 address.

So the need to connect multiple points together is not required.

If your controller can't set routes then you can use the SMD82 8 way point decoder.
If your controller can program CV's then you can configure this decoder to set a route.
This is quite easy, when you've read the instructions a few times!!
It does work very well, it has an onboard CDU, the only thing is, it takes about 1 sec to fire each point as it's waiting for the CDU to 'recharge'

Manual here:-

http://www.teamdigital1.com/smd82_decoder.html

Ian

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm using Prodigy Advance. This allows more than one point to be grouped together so theat they all switch with one command. I understand this facility is available with most major DCC systems.

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 11 Feb 2007, 22:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use the NCE Powercab pro which will allow me to set routes, with sending just 1 address.

So the need to connect multiple points together is not required.

If your controller can't set routes then you can use the SMD82 8 way point decoder.
If your controller can program CV's then you can configure this decoder to set a route.
This is quite easy, when you've read the instructions a few times!!
It does work very well, it has an onboard CDU, the only thing is, it takes about 1 sec to fire each point as it's waiting for the CDU to 'recharge'

Manual here:-

http://www.teamdigital1.com/smd82_decoder.html

Ian

Hi,

I am another convert to the SMD82, with the CDU onboard it even allows pairs of points to be switched at the same time, from one output
. I have just bought it, so I am learning. I am moving points off Lenz 150 accessory decoders to this unit. It takes power from my main bus, out of a ZTC 550 booster, and control is from a ZTC 511. No more PSU for decoders, great!
The basics didn't didn't take long to learn. So far it seems to beat allcomers!

Regards,

Hugh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts