Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

This will be a rambling zig zag affair as what is on my workbench changes often. But...

Currently I am in the process of building some signals. I am basing them on the type and style found at the locations I am modelling [with some allowance for full size and scale accuracy]

Brass construction

Primed, ready to paint

2 others in place on the layout [but painting not finished or wired in.. just for effect!

I have lots more to do and although the regular post signals don't take long the gantry took hours!!

Cheers
Michael

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
They look really good.

Thanks for posting them.

David

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Very interesting, although all the similar gantries I've seen have the flat surface on top so that the signal technician doesn't have a slope to walk on while servicing the signal.

Were you aware that under the 'Track, Layouts and Scenery' section of the forum we have a sub-forum devoted to all 'aspects'
of signalling including prototypes, siting of signals and their construction? You might find it of interest as you are obviously keen on getting signals on your layout.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 7 Dec 2008, 13:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very interesting, although all the similar gantries I've seen have the flat surface on top so that the signal technician doesn't have a slope to walk on while servicing the signal.

Were you aware that under the 'Track, Layouts and Scenery' section of the forum we have a sub-forum devoted to all 'aspects'
of signalling including prototypes, siting of signals and their construction? You might find it of interest as you are obviously keen on getting signals on your layout.

Regards,
John Webb
Hi
Thanks, I hadn't got round to seeing that section yet, but now you've drawn my attention to it I will have a dig around.

In terms of the gantry, I see what you mean.

Here are a couple of the pictures of the gantry I was working from though:

http://www.mumbles274.co.uk/ramsgatewebsize/signals/s1.JPG
http://www.mumbles274.co.uk/ramsgatewebsize/signals/s16.JPG
[linked as they are larger than 800pix wide]

What you said though made me think, about how I modelled this and back to my days at art college.. "draw what you see, not what you know". I just modelled what I saw and I think that is what I am enjoying about building this layout, those quirks that may not make sense or follow rules or regs but result in a finished item that draws the eye into looking at it.

Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Thanks for the pictures - judging by the hand-rails the walkway between the pair of girders is almost certainly flat rather than being on top of the girders.

If you want to see more pictures of signals, try www.signalbox.org and go to the links page for a number of sites of signal and signalbox pictures.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
You may well be right, the thing I noticed was that on the view from the side with the ladder, the ladder goes right up to the height of the higher end of the sloping part, leading me to think either:
there is a slope
or
there is raised plate to step over at the ladder end

guess we'll never know [unless one of us goes there and climbs up to have a look!]

Cheers
Michael

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Excellent work, I have seen those signals in your photos many times but have never actually looked at them (if you know what I mean!).

Nice to see another East Kent Modeller on the forum.

Regards

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers Everyone

As I was going through my photobucket account for layout pics, I thought I would throw in a couple of other things that are on my workbench at the moment. As I said I tend to work on a few things at once.

Scratch built Bridge, based on actual bridge just along line from Folkestone West [needs finishing]

House [needs finishing]

The bridge and house above

DCKits 4CEP [needs finishing]

Cheers
Michael

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Excellent - I really like the house and the 4CEP (sorry they were one of my favourites!)

I look forward to seeing more.

Regards

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mumbles does it every time, never gives me the credit for the 4CEP lights, I was stopped from building a gantry to do his 4CEP, I feel used

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (m.levin @ 9 Dec 2008, 13:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mumbles does it every time, never gives me the credit for the 4CEP lights, I was stopped from building a gantry to do his 4CEP, I feel used

Oh and I rather liked the 4CEP's lighting - I believe you had help with it.....

Regards

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Great work there Mumbles

Looking fowward to the finished bridge and house.

Andii

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hi Michael,that lighting looks great,mine are lit but not with that sort of detail,you've shamed me into further detailing my own lights

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Nice model!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts