Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
finally had some time today to get my baseboards ready! ... the final result is a 4.2m long x 0.6m wide board for my 3 level n gauge german winter scene layout!.

the last board to be cut and braced, it'll be painted white tonight!.

the last board to complete the baseboards! :-

the underside of it! :-

the baseboard run looks like this! :-

from the other end:-

the underside of the middle boards (remember they are not very big boards - so not a lot of woodwork under them.

a new way of keeping the boards together - adjustable for heat/humidity and easily released - maybe a little unusual - but seems to work!

and the track plan for the 1st (ground) level! ... im planning th 2nd level tracks this week!. (thx munichdave for recommending the very easy to use AnyRail software for computer dummies like me!)
the red tracks are the hidden inclines to the next level where the mainline thru station is going to be!

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi db,

Good to see you have the board ready to lay track
which make of track have you chosen ? look forward to seeing it take shape keep the pictures coming

·
Registered
407 Posts
hi upnick, yes im pleased too now that the boards are ready, im going with fleischmann track for the points and crossings, (their electro-frog points have the frog switching all built in - no extra switches or wiring required!) and ill be using peco flexi - track on the noch ballasted underlay to give the shape/contour of ballast (altho it will all be white/snow covered) so it hopefully will all blend in!

hopefully the pics are the right size now 800x600 to keep within the forum guidelines - i dont know how to check this, maybe someone can advise? then ill be comfortable to post more pics. :)

·
Administrator
9,890 Posts
QUOTE hopefully the pics are the right size now 800x600 to keep within the forum guidelines - i dont know how to check this, maybe someone can advise?

I've downsized my display settings to 1024 x 768. The pix are almost up against the right hand side but they are not causing any overflow problems. I don't know what the size actually is, but whatever you did to get this size, I'd keep doing it.

David

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Hiya,

That picture size is anout what i post at - If you drop it to about 450 pix across the base that should take it below 100 and create a fast loading picture..... If you host on photobucket it will squash it even more......

Well done on your layout boards look nice and substancial.......

regards

Nikki

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (db ice 3 @ 15 Mar 2009, 10:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi upnick, yes im pleased too now that the boards are ready, im going with fleischmann track for the points and crossings, (their electro-frog points have the frog switching all built in - no extra switches or wiring required!) and ill be using peco flexi - track on the noch ballasted underlay to give the shape/contour of ballast (altho it will all be white/snow covered) so it hopefully will all blend in!

hopefully the pics are the right size now 800x600 to keep within the forum guidelines - i dont know how to check this, maybe someone can advise? then ill be comfortable to post more pics. :)
I was just about to say what Doug said.

Yes Dennis was doing a layout like this with a turntable in it however we haven't had an update for some time. Wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like now if you're out there Dennis.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE (61215 billy carver @ 16 Mar 2009, 15:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi , looking good start im interested in the board joiners what they called and where from ?? cheers

They look like sash window fasteners to me

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Those baseboards look good to me. A good length for 'n' gauge, Is there a station going on the scenic side? I like the idea of one side for viewing only it's a bit like sitting by the trackside watching the trains go by, Excellent.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (61215 billy carver @ 16 Mar 2009, 15:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi , looking good start im interested in the board joiners what they called and where from ?? cheers

QUOTE (madon37s @ 17 Mar 2009, 07:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Those baseboards look good to me. A good length for 'n' gauge, Is there a station going on the scenic side? I like the idea of one side for viewing only it's a bit like sitting by the trackside watching the trains go by, Excellent.

Kind regards

Paul

billy, - yes thet are sash window fasteners ... they allow for adjustment for temp changes/humidity/ageing etc and i can easily lock and unlock the boards.

madon37s - yes there is a station going on the scenic side - it'll be on the 2nd level a mainline thru station - 6 tracks, 2 thru tracks and 4 platform tracks. this week im off, so going to get some work done on the layout as well. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMG - progress is painfully slow on this track laying business!!! ...

iv made a start on the 1st level tracks. using peco flexi track for the long straights and fleischmann electro-frog points and fleischmann 3 way points to simplify wiring and also number of points used.

im 2/3 done on the 1st level but its taken about 12 hours of work and looks like iv achieved very little!. im using noch ballasted underlay on the visible flexi-track which will get painted white eventually and snow covered.

iv been testing the track joins as i go along with fleischmann double decker coachs - these have a long overhang and seem to be sensitive to any irregularities!. if anythings going to de-rail these will!. and had a few probs so far, and its the problem solving which takes time. but im getting there. once the 1st circuit of track is complete, ill post up some pics!.

trying to finish the 1st level tonight! wish me luck lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.