Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Its not DCC but i thought you guys would like ths one.

I was doing some electronics work last night and was using my oscilloscope. just out of curiosity i turned on my layout and took a reading. I WAS STUNNED!!!!!

This is not a PWM controller. its a panel mounted controller from a well known brand. it is 10 volts peak-peak which i was quite happy with but that is supposed to be DC!! it looks like there is no smoothing at all.

Peter

P.S. sorry about the poor pic. its suprisingly difficult to take a pic of an osciloscope trace.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello there

Its actually a half wave rectification. the smoothing at the bottom is actually 0 volts. it looks smooth because it takes a certain voltage to run the rectifier diodes so between -0.4 and +0.4 volts on the input to the rectifier you will get 0 out. (i am asuming that is the explination)

What is slightly curious is why either +9 or -9 volts has been clipped but not the other has run to the full 10 volts.

How much is an oscilloscope? how much do you want to spend. there are some very swanky digital flat screen ones for about 5 grand! mine is quite a nice 2 channel analouge. nothing too complicated but good quality. it cost me about £200.

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts