Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my little car that takes me to all the model shops,(thats the only thing its got in common with trains so I dont know if I should have posted it)

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I used to have one of those (a maroon 1500) many years ago (before that I had a MkI Lotus Cortina & wished I still had it).

Your one looks a very nice (possibly original) one too.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its pretty much as it was when new apart from a new paint job and a minidisc player, makes a lot of people smile! Last time I looked mk1 lotus cortinas were fetching prices in the region of ten thousand for a good one. I paid £200 for mine, insurance valued it at just under £2,000. Its great fun being a rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
We never had a Cortina when we lived in Scotland. A Vauxhall Victor, then a Morris Oxford and lucky last a Peugeot 204.
My last car was this
a 5.7L V8 SS.

And now I havegone the other way and bought a diesel.

I needed something larger and as my trip to to the hobby shop is around 400klm this is perfect. And it's good for knocking roos out of the way!.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

·
Administrator
9,854 Posts
QUOTE you,ve got grass on your lawn mate.

You've been looking at too many detailed scenery photos Neil, or the Melbourne heat is affecting you. There's a great big red motor vehicle in the centre of the shot and you see the grass ?
Mind you the grass could be that Noch static stuff.

David

PS Could you send us a little bit your heat please?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 31 Jan 2009, 22:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We never had a Cortina when we lived in Scotland. A Vauxhall Victor, then a Morris Oxford and lucky last a Peugeot 204.
My last car was this, a 5.7L V8 SS.

And now I havegone the other way and bought a diesel.

I needed something larger and as my trip to to the hobby shop is around 400klm this is perfect. And it's good for knocking roos out of the way!.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia
"V8" nicest sounding engine ever! Especially with a set of open pipes

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
My last two before I had to sell both to buy the van

And this is one Id like to own!

Steve

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RS Turbo,very quick little car that one ,quite scary in their day and very collectable now. As for the last one we can but dream.
Old friend of mine imported a Lotus Carlton a few years back and is now in the process of restoring it. Its on the web somewhere

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
having been brought-up in a motoring age when rear wheel drive was considered 'normal'..[and was so right up until the demise of Ford's Sierra?], I cannot comprehend the excitement generated amongst newer drivers over rear wheel drive.

Front wheel drive only exists now because its cheaper to produce.

In fact, at one time, SAAB, total fwd exponents,were considered very 'left field'.

I currently run, amongst other things, a very RWD Volvo 740 estate.....of some 22 years vintage..ie, its volvo 19 year guarentee ran out some 3 years ago or so...and I have proved that the myth generated by all the other makers, that one day after the 19th year, the car would dissolve into the ground, as total hogwash.

it benefits from a huge amount of space...and not just between the driver's ears.

In fact, there is a possibility of creating a layout within the load area of the volvo....not quite enough room for gauge 1, but it has possibilities for those more microscopic gauges below 10mm scale.

I'm not suggesting everyone rushes out to buy a [ab]used 740 volvo estate..although it WOULD be cheaper than a garden shed......but the thought of a layout design within the confines of the car does suggest the theme for a new layout design/build competition??

[I tried that idea with a Renault 4 I once owned, and railroaded with.....struggled with HO curves on that idea, but a shelf layout would have worked....]

·
Administrator
9,854 Posts
QUOTE 740 volvo estate..although it WOULD be cheaper than a garden shed

The carpets would have to go. The fluff would play havoc with the motors and wheel bearings

As for motoring and railways, this is the only way to travel Swiss valleys and passes in search of narrow gauge railways; our last view of the snow capped mountains of Meringen / Hassliberg on September 1st 2006.

David

·
Administrator
9,854 Posts
QUOTE you still have CARPETS in your car?
Now you mention it, it's the car-pets that are source of a lot of fluff, hair and other bearing destroying stuff like that. I've never known a breed like CKC or KC spaniels for moulting or maybe it's just because they're white.

David

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 1 Feb 2009, 13:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now you mention it, it's the car-pets that are source of a lot of fluff, hair and other bearing destroying stuff like that. I've never known a breed like CKC or KC spaniels for moulting or maybe it's just because they're white.

David
Try a black lab/great dane x, Hes always moulting!
The culprit!

Steve

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Now that is one nice looking dog.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 2 Feb 2009, 00:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try a black lab/great dane x, Hes always moulting!
The culprit!

Steve

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
David, you should move 32degrees c all year round where I am. Melbourne, where Neil is, only gets hot one or two days a year,it rains the rest of the time

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (dwb @ 1 Feb 2009, 20:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You've been looking at too many detailed scenery photos Neil, or the Melbourne heat is affecting you. There's a great big red motor vehicle in the centre of the shot and you see the grass ? B) Mind you the grass could be that Noch static stuff.

David

PS Could you send us a little bit your heat please?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 2 Feb 2009, 07:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>David, you should move 32degrees c all year round where I am. Melbourne, where Neil is, only gets hot one or two days a year,it rains the rest of the time

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia
It used to Charles, it hasn't rained for some time and the dams are all pretty empty. They are going to build a desalination plant because of the water shortage.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
QUOTE (frame69 @ 1 Feb 2009, 12:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>RS Turbo,very quick little car that one ,quite scary in their day and very collectable now. As for the last one we can but dream.

Yes it could be handfull especailly in the wet, As for collectable, well it wasnt 100% original, 2.1l ZVH (thats a ford mondeo 2 litre zetec engine bored and lined to 2.1 married to cvh head.) garratt t4 turbo with 360 bearing. uprated fuel pump. superchip, uprated intercooler, water injection etc etc. Had it rolling roaded and was pushing 250bhp on minimum boost! Torque steered like a mule!

To be honest it was liability (points on liscence prove that) and very ralely left the garage unless it was a hot sunny day.
The old tin worm was beginning to show its self and living right by the coast wasnt helping.

Now the Pajero was a LOT of fun off road!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts