Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
8,102 Posts
QUOTE (SRman @ 20 Jul 2008, 17:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, I've finally got it wrong with a decoder installation. I've smoked a brand new TCS M1 decoder!


It was my own fault too. I decided to install a decoder in my 3R "Tadpole" unit (BR class 206) which meant doing a hard-wired job. The unit has a Black Beetle motor bogie which needs the motor feed wires desoldered from the pick up tags. Stupid
me solders new wires to the motor brush wires using black and red wires to match the Black Beetle originals, then blithly goes on to solder grey and orange wires to the pick ups. Of course, no prizes here, you can guess the rest. I connected the motor drive to the track pick up wires of the decoder and the track pick ups to the motor wires of the decoder. Yup! It went up in a puff of smoke - quite convincing coming out of the exhaust port on the roof of the motor coach but unfortunately no movement to go with it.

Aren't I lucky TCS has that "Goof Proof" warranty!


Still, it is the first time I've blown up a decoder, all others I've lost having been failures in service (mostly Digitrax ones I'm afraid).
I managed to fry one of these too Jeff. Difference was that it was a plug in job. These decoders seem more succeptible than most.
 
1 - 1 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top