Model Railway Forum banner
181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Hi Alan .Yes but if you've got expensive stock it is worth protecting and a very good way to display them. I am modelling GWR so most of my stock will be housed on the layout. However I have a few other loco's mostly Duchess class which will eventually have raikes of coaches . Would be nice to have a few on display in the house occasionally being brought out to run on an anything goes day. By the way a Castle class and 8 x 60ft coaches works out about 24cm whats the longest Vision Tube ? Many of your coach types look long are they 70ft I am not familiar with Continental stock? Jim

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Hi Alan .Yes but if you've got expensive stock it is worth protecting and a very good way to display them. I am modelling GWR so most of my stock will be housed on the layout. However I have a few other loco's mostly Duchess class which will eventually have raikes of coaches . Would be nice to have a few on display in the house occasionally being brought out to run on an anything goes day. By the way a Castle class and 8 x 60ft coaches works out about 24cm whats the longest Vision Tube ? Many of your coach types look long are they 70ft I am not familiar with Continental stock? Jim
Hi Jim,
I totally agree,
If I've got the conversion correct, my longest coaches are about 79ft 9inches
My rakes are only 6 coaches max so I can get them plus a loco into a 210cm vision tube, but from memory, they do a 240cm, a 270cm and a 300cm.
I'm assuming you meant 240cm for your Castle class and 8 coaches, the tubes are spot on in their length so if your rake is tight on over 240cm go for the 270cm
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Yes, I did contact them.:(

The 120cm tubes for 3R track work out at AUD165. It will cost be a further AUD100 in freight each, so a total of AUD265 each. This might be Ok if I was still working, but I now need to come up with a business case for this solution. I have enough rolling to stock to use 40 of these o_O so I'll need to factor in buying some more walls also. This hobby just gets more and more fantastic.

On the bright side, the 120cm version should allow for displays of 1 loco and 3 or 4 cars, which is probably a more practical config for layout running.
Thanks again for the photos; I see a few familiar items in there..

edit: I just reread some earlier responses - I'm not considering bigger than 150cm - just for ease of movement.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Hi Alan Sorry I work in mm and metres not cm even though it's all metric . Funny at work we quite often say go get some 4x2 from the traders then the question is asked how long and the reply oh about 3 metres:D Showing my age now . Like Adrian I might need to get some more walls as well so I will probably only have a few and that may not be for a while yet . Jim

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
I often mix imperial and metric measurements
Reminds me of a bad experience I had once by mixing measurements. The instructions said 180 degrees for whatever number of minutes, so I set the oven to 180 and after the appropriate length of time, removed the pies and served up.
I got some strange looks from my brothers as they bit into their tepid pies... Mum's oven was marked in Fahrenheit.

David

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Hi all,
I've been working on this on and off for the past few weeks. the Faller 130885 Porcelain Factory. I have added internal lighting and replaced the kit part external lanterns with Viessmann 6087 LED wall lanterns.
I also adapted and installed the Faller 180690 Smoke Generator

Here is the rear of the smoke unit protruding out of the chimney base

As can be seen, I had to cut a slot in the main building wall to accept the smoke unit. Also, as the chimney section had to remain unglued from the main building to withdraw for filling, I have extended the short smoke outlet on the generator with plastic tubing up into the chimney stack to prevent back flow of smoke.
The internal, external lights plus the smoke unit will be separately switched when it is installed on the layout at some point in the future.
The sound of a "moped" on the video is actually the smoke unit , hoping that when I fill the fluid reservoir a bit more it will stop.🤞
Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
t's a shame that they do not include interiors for realism?
Maybe something from Auhagen might fill the void? - Gewerbliches
If you have a translator plugin in your browser - that becomes "Industrial".

David

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
That looks Great Alan It's a shame that they do not include interiors for realism? Very nice indeed. Babs
Thanks Babs,
The doors do close, but I have a variety of Prieser parts and figures that will go in there. The kit actually contains some crates etc and I think a fork lift and skips, but the Prieser parts look better.
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Hi all,
Nothing much of interest happening over the last few months, mainly because of finishing up work commitments before retiring and partly due to pain in my hands
Now we have the hot spell so avoiding the loft during the day 😨
Have been doing some of the boring bits, like adding additional feedback modules and point/signal decoders around the new section of the layout to reduce amount of wiring required.
Gas Electrical wiring Wire Audio equipment Cable

Gas Electrical wiring Audio equipment Cable Wire

Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electrical supply Wire

Next major job is to cut the turntable into its new location. that will allow me to finalize the trackwork
Will leave that till I return from holiday in a couple of weeks or so.
Regards
Alan

181 - 192 of 192 Posts