Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 174 Posts

·
Why is'nt it easy !!
2,155 Posts
Loving the wheat field .... very nicely done.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Hi all,
Just an update of what's been happening lately. physically not much.
You may remember I was going to swap my control to Z21 and install Train Controller Gold Software to automate the layout a bit.
Well, after doing that, it took me some time, what with work and other things, to create my "Swithboard" etc in train controller but that all went well.
Then I started to connect the points to the to the Z21 system, I was a bit apprehensive about this as I was using Roco 10775 turnout controllers to operate my 20 odd Fleischmann points,
as I had read many accounts of how difficult it was to set them up regarding the addressing, but I downloaded the Roco maintenance tool to remove the +4 issue and everything went fine.
That is, until I tried to operate the double slip. The switching action was juddery and didn't always make a full switch over ( as an electrician, that's something I would associate with wrong voltage)
Its a long time ago now but I'm pretty sure it worked fine when the layout was DC and it was controlled with the little green Fleischmann switches from the AC side of the old transformers.
But in saying that, every other point worked fine. Tried cleaning it up and removing any debris (not that I could see any) from around the moving parts but too no avail. Needless to say, this double slip
has got to be one of the worst turnouts to get access too
Just to remove the point motor I had to remove part of a station platform

Even with the motor removed from the point, it was still not switching positively Next step , replace the motor, but in trying to do that the lever arm snapped off inside the point

Fearing there could be some unseen debris inside the mechanism causing the problem, and a quick google search to see if I could still get a Fleischmann brass Model track double slip, decided to replace the
whole thing. So, de-soldered 8 droppers

Then used a fine cut dremmel blade to cut through the 4 sections of rail at one end to allow removal

For easy locating/fitting of the new unit, I cut the fishplates in half, allowing them to move back and forth along the rail

Tested operation of slip, all ok, and re soldered the droppers

A little bit of rust pen onto the rails, re ballasting of track and fitting back the platform.

Everything working fine now from Z21 control or Train Controller. Next step is to add the magnetic reed switches into the track work to create control blocks for train detection.
Well, that was a long winded way of not telling you much

Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
9,890 Posts
Nicely done.

David

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Alan

I've only just come across your thread as a result of your recent post. I am mightily impressed with your layout and have watched the video demonstrating the Train Safe storage system in use several times. The flashes from the camera of the lineside trainspotter are a wonderful touch !

Best Regards,
Peter A

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi,

Looking very nice..!
One question who is your photo hosting site.
I normally use photobucket!
But they now require a sum of money to be able to use there services so as i can post here.
Hence my non activity in posting on my forum "Palin Bay.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
BJ

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
QUOTE (Peter Ankers @ 26 Nov 2017, 15:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Alan

I've only just come across your thread as a result of your recent post. I am mightily impressed with your layout and have watched the video demonstrating the Train Safe storage system in use several times. The flashes from the camera of the lineside trainspotter are a wonderful touch !

Best Regards,
Peter A

Thank you Peter for your comments, yeah, I like the little guy too
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
QUOTE (bjrangi @ 27 Nov 2017, 03:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

Looking very nice..!
One question who is your photo hosting site.
I normally use photobucket!
But they now require a sum of money to be able to use there services so as i can post here.
Hence my non activity in posting on my forum "Palin Bay.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
BJ

Thanks BJ
I am using photo bucket. I have used the free version for several years and as far as I'm aware you still can, but it became very slow waiting for all the adds to upload, so I purchased the add free subscription
and its very fast and easy to use now, but there are other free ones out there
Regards
Alan

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for all responses..and Allan sorry for using your forum to gain info.
So no more, i have decided to use my Flickr account.
A new post from Palin Bay to follow.
Again Allan keep up the great modelling.

Cheers
BJ

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Another little update.
As mentioned in the last post, I have started fitting the magnetic switches for train detection. I found some really small ones, here's one next to a 5p piece

They were small enough to fit in between the sleepers witch I thought would be a great idea.

Once re-ballasted you would hardly know they were there, but in practise they didn't work out too well, being low down I has to put 2 or three magnets under the loco to activate the switch and even then it
wasn't always a positive switching action. Probably sitting at right angles to the direction of travel didn't help.

When you are using these for the most part to prevent locos running in to each other, you need to know that they will work every time, so I abandoned that idea and went for the next size up.

Certainly a lot easier to work with
After bending the tags, soldering on a couple of cables and drilling holes down between the tracks, these switches run across the top of two sleepers.

A little bit of camouflage and it doesn't look too bad.

Even with one small magnet under the loco, I get a good positive action every time , even at high speeds.
I am still waiting on delivery of the sensor modules so haven't tested them with the software yet, but I'm confident they will be ok, so I'll carry on fitting the other fifty or so

Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
9,890 Posts
That's interesting. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

David

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, nothing is simple is it
The track occupancy feedback modules that I was going to use (Roco 10787 at approx. £70 per unit) have been replaced by the Roco 10808 Z21 Detector at over £90 per unit.
The 10808 has many more features than the 10787 but not required if using simple magnetic reed switches. Both the Roco units only have 8 inputs each which works out mighty expensive when you need
50 odd inputs. I probably would have stuck with the 10787's if they had still been available.
I decided to use the digikeijs DR4088RB (opto) units, they are compatible with the Roco 10787 and give you 16 inputs each at around £55 per unit

They arrive factory set up as 2 X 10787's, that is, feedbacks 1:1 to 1:8 and 2:1 to 2:8, each additional unit has to be reconfigured in sequence. After a few false starts, I managed to configure all units and test
them on Z21 and Train Controller by connecting the one reed switch I have wired up at present to varying input terminals on the modules, all great.
Next issue, now that I have committed to fitting reed switches in the track work, I need to access the high level back part of the layout to fit the switches, easy before I built the main station area in the foreground,
but now very difficult without risking damage to something. I remembered seeing a frame work specifically for this while browsing the Micro Mart website model railway section a while back. It was called the
"Topside Creeper" Googling this gave no results in the UK (only US) and also showed it was actually a car mechanics aid that Micro Mart had found an extra use for. Micro Mart, luckily, did not ship to UK, as I
found it cheaper in the mechanic/engineering sites. It's not cheap at around £300 and being so heavy, the shipping from US was about £100, but its a great idea and has allowed me to reach the back of
the layout without having to clamber over anything.

It does fold down, but still takes up a fair bit of space, so once the back reed switches have been fitted, wired and tested, I will probably disassemble it and store the pieces round the back of the loft, ready for
when it is needed again.
Regards
Alan

·
What do I put here&#33;?&#33;
883 Posts
Hi Alan,
Congratulations on getting a Topside Creeper!
I looked into getting one of these a few years ago but I found it impossible like you say, MicroMark doesn't offer UK shipping on it. I never knew where else you could get such a thing.
My plans changed and subsequently, I always plan to have slimmer layouts but it's good to know they can be obtained.
Good luck with those reed switches and detectors.
John.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks John,
I plan to dismantle it when I've finished using it as it takes up too much room even when folded down.

Here is a little video overview of my layout, I found it lurking on the iPad. It was taken at the end of 2016. I've had to overdub the sound track with music, as there is a lot of audio interference when the iPad
got down at low track level. You may want to lower the volume level

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//6en7N6glItQ?rel=0

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi All,
Its been a while since my last update.
I have now installed and tested all the feedback module reed switches and done some messing around with Train Controller Gold setting up routes schedules etc.
I have decided to add some physical signals to the layout that will mimic the inbuilt control signals in TCG. I have purchased some nice Viessmann semaphore signals to fit on the lower level, but up on the top level station it was too difficult to fit those due to the drive unit needing to be below the signal mast. Up on that level there are 2 or 3 layers of timber with not much space between them, and solid in parts.
I found a couple of old Fleischmann signals that I've had for years and was surprised to find that not only did they still work but could be controlled via the Z21 and TCG.
These signals have a surface drive unit, and although it still wasn't easy, I managed to use a long drill bit and fishing wire to make a hole and feed the wires through all the layers.
Where the line stops at the end of the shuttle line station I've used a single arm signal that can show Hp0 (stop) and Hp1 (proceed at permitted speed). As this is the end of the line, it will always show Hp0, but if for some reason it gets switched to Hp1, as the loco enters the "block" before the station, TCG will switch it to Hp0. At the other end of the platform in the direction the trains depart, I've used a 2 arm signal that shows Hp0 and Hp2 (proceed at reduced speed) . When the train approaches, this signal also switches to Hp0, and when the train is ready to depart, switched to Hp2.

These signals don't have the same slow, smooth action as the Viessmann ones but will have to do.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//VeRHrSKlEaQ?rel=0

Btw I doubt if any of this is prototypical and that's not a concern for me (there's plenty on my layout that isn't

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi all,
As mentioned in the last post, I had purchased some Viessmann semaphore signals (mostly 4501's and a couple of 4500's)
Have now finished installing them all.

Also decided to replace these old Fleischmann Shunting/stop signals with Viessmann 4517's

They were mechanically connected to electric uncouplers and would never return to the complete horizontal position. I will keep the uncouplers and just remove the mast.
Unlike the semaphore signals, where you just had to drill a 13mm hole to mount them (I say "just", but its not that easy in reality with other scenery in close proximity and lots of wiring beneath the baseboard).
With the 4517's , you need to cut a 15mm square down through the baseboard, which in my case is 6mm of fibre board on top of 18mm of chipboard

But I slowly and carefully got there

and am very happy with the result

Regards
Alan

Stay Safe x

21 - 40 of 174 Posts