Model Railway Forum banner
101 - 120 of 192 Posts

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Hi all
Hope you are all well and safe.
Well, here we go with the final section of the baseboard extension. No need to go through the sequence of events as I'm sure you're familiar with that.
I used 45mm deep white pvc cladding strips with a bull nose top to face off the edges. I gave the exposed timber and fibre board a couple of coats of clear varnish before gluing the strips to the face with Mitre Bond. Also carried it along the face of the original baseboard.

As mentioned in a previous post, two sections still removable for access to rear and far corner.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//iIKvIJ05pFM?rel=0

Next step to work out a track plan, I'll probably build the station to give me some sort of guide to where I'm going with it.
Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Looks good and I really like the way you have finished off the edges.

David

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Hi all,
Couldn't wait to have a "play"
By no means the finished article, just wanted to check out radius etc and platform length available. The DB 02 0201 is my longest loco, and its coaches are by far the longest in my fleet
The platform parts are from the Barden Barden platform extension kits.
Sorry about the poor videos, but I was holding the camera in one hand while using the controller with the other.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//J3mxwojBeP8?rel=0

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed//iHrZkmFzLU4?rel=0

Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Mmmmm - nice ....

David

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Hi all,
Hope you are all keeping safe and well.
I've been laying some Noch gravel sheet onto the baseboard as as far as the desk corner for the basic station ground surface. Also been fitting some back scenes. I purchased another photographic backdrop, the same as the one I used under the loft access bridge, then cut away the sky and trimmed along the hills and trees to blend it in with the Faller Oberstdorf mountain range covering the door to hide the buildings in the foreground as mentioned earlier.
I will build a bit of low hilly scenery around the tunnel portal and possibly a small hillock / cutting on the corner to sit the castle ruin on, that will help to disguise the obvious drop off of the baseboard.

Around the corner, I cut and shunted some more Oberstdorf back scene to get it to slope downwards to the right past the tunnel opening where I used some more of the photo back scene, cut out and pasted some cloud parts from the Oberstdorf sky and dry brushed some matt white paint, to make a transition into the Faller Kleinstadt town backscene. I'm no artist ,so its not perfect, but it will pass the glancing look test

Its a shame that Faller don't keep their backscene sky's more universal or make some kind of transition section.
Anyway, continued the town scene along to the corner,

where I made another transition piece to blend into the Faller Lowenstein backscene.

This I will continue along the back wall and transition into the existing Oberstdorf mountain range. I have had to order another one of those (Faller 180516), so I can get the mountain down to a lower level first.

I've had a change of mind regarding the station on this side, and am going to use this, Faller 110116 Schwarzburg station, as I think it will blend in better with the backscene buildings.

I will still use the Vollmer platform extension parts to get longer platforms (unless I can find some purpose built for the Faller 110116), they are a similar colour and I will be able to cut and shunt them in.
Well, that's it again for now, one last thing, shout out to Khris for mentioning the Peco PL-80 wired track joiners in one of his replies to another post, I have given them a try and think they are great, no more soldering and melting the sleepers

They are a tight fit on my Fleischmann model track, but that's a good thing right !
Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
I think you've managed the backscene blending very well.

I will be interested to see how you get on with platform extensions for Schwarzburg as I have the same model and could do with another 12" or so. I have not found a Faller platform specifically for this kit but one of the platform range has Schwarzburg in the background of the promotional picture. The platform is nicely made and it would be a shame not to have a good match for the edging.

David

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
All very nicely organised Alan, great modelling coming along, and those German kits always excellent makes you think about going over to the Bavarian side! however after my 1962 OO mainline layout and the 1926 narrow gauge effort then absolutely no space left for anything else even the tramway is squashed in.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Hi all, hope you are all well.
Thanks for the kind comments guys.
The last few evenings I've been working on the tunnel entrance / cutting, and the castle ruin scene. I used the usual Woodland Scenic's grasses shrubs and trees, and for the first time tried some of their "Ready Rocks" Really nice quality and finish, bit pricey, but if you're in a hurry, they fit the bill.
I have used rock moulds in the past but found them messy and time consuming, and I wanted to move on with this as quickly as possible.
Below is a sequence of photos showing the stages of the build process. The ruin is made up of two Noch castle ruins cut to butt together.

Well, that's it again for another mini update, Next job is to lay and ballast the track up to the corner, so I can work on the station building and platforms, but I may continue the two main lines around to join up with the other part of the layout as I am eager to get the trains running round the complete circuit

Regards and stay safe
Alan

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
Nice

Are those Viessmann spotlights or bare LEDs?

David

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Thanks guys,
David, they are Viessmann 6333 LED rectangular floodlight

I purchased them some time ago with the idea of illuminating the church spire, but I have yet to build the town. So when I decided on the castle ruin I was inspired by the many ruins I have visited over the years that are illuminated.
I have ordered some more for when the church finally gets erected.

34C,
That's a good idea

How about Schloss Gebirgsenzian

Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
QUOTE Viessmann 6333 LED rectangular floodlight .... with the idea of illuminating the church spire
Thanks for the info. I have been thinking of illuminating my church and city walls.

David

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Hi all, hope you are well.
I have completed the main building of Schwarzburg Station and added a couple of my own lighting ideas.

I used a couple of Viessmann 6087 wall lanterns and painted them green as they were similar to the models non functioning wall lights , and although it will be facing the back and not seen, I couldn't resist illuminating the clock face

David,
I had to sacrifice the Barden Barden kit to get some pieces of plain platform section (all the parts in the platform extension kits have some sort of hole or stairway in them), for the central parts of the station building and scribed a piece in to match the kit platform, witch is in front on the lower photo

So at least now, all the platforms will match

Regards
Alan

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
I like the lighting.
Thanks for the information on the platform. I will continue to ponder on what to do to extend mine, or maybe I just won't.

David

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Hi David,
Thanks for your comments, its a strange one re the Faller platforms, I've seen the ones that you mentioned on there site (120188 and 120187) that feature Schwarzburg station in the picture, but the platform edges dont match the profile of the ones that come with the station.
I've searched this a fare bit and even found this kit (possibly discontinued but still available) Faller 120199 Covered Platform, that shows on the box picture what appears to be the correct profile platform.

But when you look at the internal parts , another picture appears, showing the plainer profile platforms that you get with most of their other platform kits.

So I will just carry on doing my own thing

Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Hi Alan Everything is Going Splendidly I really like the New station you are building it certainly looks the business, Faller Platforms to me are not that great i have even tried Kibri but they look Naff IMHO. So i have decided because of the Length of 6 feet i will use 5mm Ply treated and Painted so i can get an uninterrupted run. Question What have you used to stick your Backseen to the Board at the back with. ?? Anyway yours is looking great looking forward to the next episode. Babs

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Hi Babs,
Thanks for the kind comments, I did consider making wooden platforms, but wasn't sure about how to achieve the front profile that I wanted. The Vollmer platforms are quite good and I'm enjoying cutting them about.

Not sure I'll be able to get a "seamless" run, but I'll try my best to keep it all as neat as possible.
Re the backscene sticking, this is my go to adhesive for sticking paper or card.

It doesn't bleed through even thin paper, gives you a bit of wriggle time, and dries pretty quickly.
Regards and stay safe
Alan

101 - 120 of 192 Posts