Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running 5 locos at the same time and I pressed the Stop button and did not pay attention to it for about 15 minutes. When I checked it again, there were no display, no lights, I touched the transformer and it was not hot but when I unplug it from Hornby Select, the DC power plug was very hot. I powered the Select with a 3.5A transformer and that should not be a problem for Select because Hornby claims it supports 4amp.
I dismantled it and found there is a "magnet" soldered next to the DC power jack had an edge broken off and left a burnt mark on the DC jack. I have no idea how to fix it so I sent email to Hornby thru their website site contact form to ask them what do I do and I live in Hong Kong, I ordered that from UK online shop and no reply so far for 2 days.
I was running 2 Hornby R8215 on 2 Hornby locos, 1 Lenz Silver on Heljan Class 27, 1 ESU Lokpilot 3.0 on Fleischmann BR218 and 1 DXDC dcc decoder rate at 1A on Bachmann Class 25 on the track.
No hope on Hornby Select, I'm considering to buy another DCC controller, I've read previous posts that NCE procab might be a good choice, any suggestions? I'm a basic runner, I don't need to control points nor lights but I'd like to run many locos at the same time and a digital display.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (ms06s_char @ 28 Sep 2007, 16:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was running 5 locos at the same time and I pressed the Stop button and did not pay attention to it for about 15 minutes. When I checked it again, there were no display, no lights, I touched the transformer and it was not hot but when I unplug it from Hornby Select, the DC power plug was very hot. I powered the Select with a 3.5A transformer and that should not be a problem for Select because Hornby claims it supports 4amp.
I dismantled it and found there is a "magnet" soldered next to the DC power jack had an edge broken off and left a burnt mark on the DC jack. I have no idea how to fix it so I sent email to Hornby thru their website site contact form to ask them what do I do and I live in Hong Kong, I ordered that from UK online shop and no reply so far for 2 days.
I was running 2 Hornby R8215 on 2 Hornby locos, 1 Lenz Silver on Heljan Class 27, 1 ESU Lokpilot 3.0 on Fleischmann BR218 and 1 DXDC dcc decoder rate at 1A on Bachmann Class 25 on the track.
No hope on Hornby Select, I'm considering to buy another DCC controller, I've read previous posts that NCE procab might be a good choice, any suggestions? I'm a basic runner, I don't need to control points nor lights but I'd like to run many locos at the same time and a digital display.
Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis

I have used both the Power Cab and the Pro Cab they work very well, the Power Cab has two recalls the Pro Cab has six recalls. See Bromsgrove Models for more information.

NCE PowerCab
1.7 amp DCC starter set with cab, connectors and manual

PowerPro System
PowerPro 5 Amp System - consists of: Command station, 5A booster, ProCab, UTP unit, manual, cab wire

Tony

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
QUOTE I don't need to control points nor lights but I'd like to run many locos at the same time and a digital display.

I also have the NCE Powercab but as the output is a max of 1.7amps you may be limited in the amount of locos you can run, unless you buy the extra smart booster to give 3amps track current.

The line above, I have taken as a quote, says it all really, I would actually say try the Hornby Elite, this comes with a 4amp transformer 1amp for accessories and 3amps to the track which should be enough to run plenty of locos, I only say try this as you only want to run locos with it; which is good as the functions are a real pain to operate.

This gives you the LCD display and twin control knobs, which would be helpful if you want to run lots of locos, can be bought for about £110.
Very much better than the Select!!

The Digitrax Zephyr could be had for about the same money plus the transformer, which again would be 3amps plenty of upgrade options for the future as well.

Would you be buying local? what can you get hold of locally?
What budget have you got to spend?

Ian

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the Select in end of February, before I bought it online, I've checked with a local shop, they said out of stock and probably won't restock it.

1.7amps doesn't seem enough, any other systems that is simple to use and install but not too basic?

I'm not running trains on a permanent layout, when I play it I take the tracks and trains out of the box and packed them back to the box when not playing it, so the Select wasn't quite bad for my use.

As I'm looking for a better thing now my budget is around GBP100-150

Here is a video showing how I ran the locos

Dennis

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (ms06s_char @ 29 Sep 2007, 17:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bought the Select in end of February, before I bought it online, I've checked with a local shop, they said out of stock and probably won't restock it.

1.7amps doesn't seem enough, any other systems that is simple to use and install but not too basic?

I'm not running trains on a permanent layout, when I play it I take the tracks and trains out of the box and packed them back to the box when not playing it, so the Select wasn't quite bad for my use.

As I'm looking for a better thing now my budget is around GBP100-150

Here is a video showing how I ran the locos
Dennis

Dennis

• Why not wait for E-Z Command Dynamis
• Has Advanced wireless infrared operation
• 2.5 amp power supply
• 128 speed steps
• Full CV programming
• Full NMRA conformance
• 9,999 locomotive addresses
• Turnout and accessory control
• Expandable modular design
• Easy-to-use backlit LCD screen
• Allows 40 consists of up to 5 locomotives each
• Control of up to 40 locomotives at any one time (up to 21 functions per locomotive)
• Suitable for all layouts from train sets to sophisticated railway systems
• Joystick control for speed and on screen selection

The price is about 80 to 90 pounds
Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts