Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone here is the first update for this year in 2009.

These next few pictures are just to keep you all updated with how my layout is going!.
Please don't be shy all comments are welcome.

Hope you liked them.

Kind regards
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Very nice, Keep the pictures coming.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Tidy job there, I want to post some of mine but my base boards look like a jumble sale table at the moment

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Paul,

Things are looking good there the two levels add a lot more interest, keep the pictures coming

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone, Just and update from my layout in the shed. I have changed it a bit as I am not really a end to end type of guy so I have removed a piece of furniture that was in the way and now have made one of the lines to go round the shed in a tail chaser way.

Here are some pics and there will be a short video at the end

Please feel free to make any comments you wish.

Many thanks and kind regards

Paul

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Looking good Paul, Love the high level track work over the station.

What radius point work are you using? As I woud replace the two points on the short platform with a double slip to give you more usable platform facing under the foot bridge, you may even be able to extend it a little

Keep us updated

Brian

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Brian
Actually the platform was longer originally and I had to shorten it because my steam loco's were fouling on the platform edge when they came over the point work. Would a double slip stop this happening? I was only going to use the short platform now for a 2 coach train or DMU (153 and 158).

Thanks for kind comments and helpful advice.

Kind regards

Paul

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Hi Paul,

position a double slip where the point to your siding is, this will then be well out of the short platform, it will also give you direct access from the other running line to the siding, but this will move the RH point up the platform on the longer platform which if this is intended as a run-round loop will not work. Get yourself a set of peco templates and offer it up (most model shops will give you them free) before you comite to buying a slip as they are a bit dear!

Hope this helps

Brian

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a video (I hope) of my Royal Scot going round the newly extended layout.

&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18">[URL=http://www.youtube.com/v/

Look out for some more pictures and video's soon. And don't forget my garden railway thread!!

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sorry I haven't commented sooner. I love what you are doing with the layout. Really nice, and a really good size too, how big is it?

I see you got the yourube link to work!

Great Job mate :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi TomTank

Yes I got it working thanks to you mate

Believe it or not the layout is only about 11' X 7' in my shed. It's strange my brother can't believe it's only that big as he say's it looks a lot bigger on my video's. If you want to see more of my video's on youtube go to :-

http://www.youtube.com/madon37411

Cheers for your kind comments.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
412 Posts
QUOTE (madon37s @ 27 Mar 2009, 15:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi TomTank

Yes I got it working thanks to you mate

Believe it or not the layout is only about 11' X 7' in my shed. It's strange my brother can't believe it's only that big as he say's it looks a lot bigger on my video's. If you want to see more of my video's on youtube go to :-

http://www.youtube.com/madon37411

Cheers for your kind comments.

Kind regards

Paul

Wow, it does look bigger than that, mine is 14ft by 8ft and yours looks bigger!!
I have subscribed to your videos :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice one mate
Keep an eye out soon then (Oh actually you will get an email notice of course when I add another one!)

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Could your shed layout link up with the garden track with one of those spiral thingys?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice thought there Andy but I think it would be too high and also (Not to get you too jealous!) the garden railway is quite big enough as it is. Actually that has given me a thought I must go and measure how long the track does go round!!.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't know if anyone is out there but here is another update on my layout.

Mainly it is of the high level street scene.

Here is a picture of the disused line forming my "scenic break" for the station

Thanks for looking and please freely give comments!

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can I ask how big is your shed? I'm thinking of putting mine in a shed rather than in the loft. What worries me about the shed plan is security and also atmospheric problems.

Lovely work especially the disused line. It's just crying out for an abandoned wagon or the local hoodies dumping bikes/shopping trolleys.

one thing that stands out to me is:

On the metcalffe buildings the white in the folds,I use either a terracota or grey pastel pencil to blend the brick/stone work and hide the fold.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Excellent as always! My problem with card buildings is they seem to buckle quite easily! Do you reenforce yours in anyway?
Steve

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi and thanks for kind comments.

Thunderbird :-
My shed is 12 X 8 and my layout inside the shed is only 11 X 7. I use a good quality round type padlock. Here is a picture

I also had the shed made with NO windows increasing the security. You can line out the shed with 2" polystyrene sheets to keep it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Thanks for the tip on the corners of the card buildings I shall have to do that soon.

Steve :-
I don't tend to put extra reinforcing into the buildings as they seem to come with an adequate amount already!. Do you have any damp issues where your layout is?

Kind regards to you both

Paul

1 - 20 of 127 Posts