Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi Jono

Many thanks for your kind words, Keep an eye out tomorrow as I will be updating this thread with some more pictures.

I'm glad you like the youtube vids! I do enjoy doing them and it's surprising how much work is involved in making them. But, when I get kind comments like yours then it certainly is worthwhile.

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hi Everyone

As promised here is an update on my layout. Not too much to see really as I have been concentrating on the garden railway! ( See my other thread )

I have been doing some scenery work around the control panel and adding sheep etc.

This one is of my Airfix 4F waiting for the right of way from Southgate Road Station ( Yes! finally my layout has a name!!)

This one is of a corner of the railway which I try to hide with a few trees. Just behind the wagon sidings.

Hope you like them, Please as ever comments always appreciated

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hi Jono

I got my benches from an Ebay seller in China/Hong Kong. There are very nice, there are about 15 in a packet and were about £8. Excellent value.

The power. I ran a 2.5mm twin and earth cable from the house in a plastic pipe (for protection! Hosepipe is ok to use also).
That goes into the shed and into a small consumer box (fuse box) the ones that have the mcb breakers in. You then just put in as many sockets as you think you will need from the fuse box around the shed.
The lights I just use a plug on the cable and switch it on when you need to for lighting.
The end of the 2.5mm T & E that is in the house I just put a 13amp plug on that and permanently keep plugged in to a socket that you don't use normally very often and VOILA!! there is your electric and it's safe because you have a maximum of 13amps in the plug.

Hi Alan

My Garden railway is completely separate from the shed layout as the difference in height is about 2 feet!! I have had a garden railway where the layout went through the shed which I think is a lot better because you can park all your stock safely and securely at night. I would suggest to you that if you could incorparate the shed with any outdoor railway so you can store your models on the track. It doesn't really matter if you can't though it just means that you have to take the stock off over night and put it back on again for your next running session.
I am very pleased that you think my railway efforts are worth watching it really does make one feel good. Like I have probably said before if you ever want any help or information pleased just ask and I will always freely give it.
If you would like some pictures of the garden railway etc please pm me.

Kind regards to you both and many thanks for your very kind words

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Hi Jono

I may not be able to do too much in the very near future as I am 'playing trains' alot on my garden railway. But If I was to stick my neck out then I suppose I might be concentrating on the area's around the water tower, engine shed and signal box.

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi everyone

It's been a while since my last update so I thought it was about time I did something (Been a bit busy trying to find a job! but to no avail!!)

As previously suggested I have concentrated on the engine shed,water tower and signal box. The first picture is where the station car park is going to be which is why I have put a brick wall there to keep the consistency going with the materials used ( Platform side walls etc ).

This picture is of the water tower and the more astute of you will probably have realised that it has moved from it's previous location at the thraot of the wagon sidings!
Underneath this picture is another view of the water tower with Jack the 'tea boy!' taking a well earned rest and just watching the world go by.

Here is the signal box which is now where the water tower used to be and I think looks quite good there anyway as the signal man can see the station and engine shed from his box.

Here is the engine shed although it isn't quite finished yet as a few bits and pieces and tools etc still need to be put into the area to make it more realistic.

This last picture you can clearly see ONE man hard at work! His name is Paul
. It seems that Roger and Frank don't SEEM to be very busy
maybe they are not quite so keen as Paul is on the 'new' traction that is 'cluttering up' their engine shed!!!!!!!!!! So perhaps they are having a bit of a moan about it

Anyway, I hope you all have enjoyed my little update and as ever please do give comments.

Thanks to you all for your continued support and encouraging comments.

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Hi guys

Thanks for your very kind words, It means alot to me.

Expat, Thanks for your 'suggestion' to be honest they arn't glued down and I was going to get rid of the 'blob' anyway mate but just thought the little story had to have the figures on the layout! thanks for the idea of the pole to mount them on though as I would normally just put glue on the bottom of there boots and try and balance them upright until the glue had set!

TomTank, If you want to see some more engines then that's fine I shall put some on tomorrow! steam and diesel.

Again thanks everyone and kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi everyone

As promised to TomTank here are a few pictures of my steam engines on the layout. The first one is a Duchess waiting at the end of the platform to be re-filled with water.

This shot is of the famous 6100 "Royal Scot" that went to America! and a K3 next to it.

This shot is of a purlpe A4 ! yes, yes, I know it isn't the right "shade" of purple and they didn't have the sideskirts on either in BR days but, Hey! I just wanted a purple A4 so I sprayed one!!!!

Here is an N2 with the condensing pipes on the front of the boiler. It's outside the entrance to the shed, It has just been disposed of and will be reversing into the engine shed before nightfall!

This is the overall view of the engine shed and the end of the platform with all the previous loco's in the shot.

Hope you like the piccies. The diesel ones will be along presently!

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Hi Brian and Dave, If you don't mind I will get back to my layout thread

As promised yesterday I put some pictures on of 'some' of my steam engines! Well, today in the interests of balance I shall put some pictures on of some of my extensive collection of diesel loco's. My first picture is my 'Loadhaul' collection in a rather nice low down shot (as if I was 'Hornby' size!) I have sat in the drivers seat of the 'real' 56100 at Gobowen station.

This one again a Loadhaul shot.

56100 and shunter outside engine shed.

To get this picture I had to climb on top of the engine shed roof
It was worth the effort though and luckily the station staff didn't see me!

This is a ballast train just stopped outside the old platelayers hut. The driver needs to communicate with the lineside maintenance team to see where the ballst is going to be put!

Last shot of a trio of loco's at the platform edge ( they are posing for a publicity picture)

Hope you like the pictures everyone.

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 14 Jul 2009, 15:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>personally thought Mainline was the nicest but Hey!

I too very much like the Mainline livery Dave, the class 60 in the last picture is a Mainline livery loco. Loadhaul is my most favourite of the three though.

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
QUOTE (The_Docster @ 16 Jul 2009, 08:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You have a fair stud of loco's Paul. Very nice! How do you hide the cost from the wife or does she bother

Hi Alan

To be fair I had a lot of my loco's before I met my wife! Although I have purchased quite a lot since being with her and I have to say she is absolutely brilliant about me spending money on my hobby
She does say that as I don't drink or smoke then having a hobby to spend money on is fair enough! plus, she says it is my money. God I just love that woman

Alan I am VERY lucky to have such a fantastic and understanding wife. (it has to be said, very sexy also)

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
QUOTE (BobB @ 16 Jul 2009, 10:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does the misses read your posts ?

Hi Bob and Patrick, Yes most definitely she does. My wife really is fantastic and she is very pleased about the kind words I say about her on this forum. I am a man that is not afraid to show his feelings.

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Hi Joe

I'm not sure about being able to give you any tips my friend, as I don't seem to be able to uncouple and propel the wagon further along the track! Iunless I'm doing something wrong) I do find them excellent as a direct re-placement for the peco uncoupling ramps though. I have my magnets showing ( because it was an after thought as the peco uncouplers were crap) between the sleepers and all I do with them is uncouple the wagons/coaches for running round and hooking up again and setting back off into the distance. I have them at the begining of sidings so I can push the wagons in and then uncouple the loco and bring it out again. They definitely work excellently for what I use them for! I wish I knew how to be able to use the 'placing' of a wagon though.

Sorry I couldn't of more help mate.

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Hi Joe

Sorry for late reply but I have been on holiday in beautiful Padstow for the last week!

Thanks for that info I shall have to try again and see what comes of it. I will let you know how I get on.

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Hi all

I have been doing a bit more to my layout since I have got back from holiday. Here are a few pictures.

This is a view from the righthand side baseboard edge as the road comes in from (the rest of the world). You can just see the water tower on the right!

This next picture is of the station car park.

This one is of the length of the road as it dissapears in to the bridge that takes the dissused railway line over it.

Closer view of said bridge and road entering it.

This last picture is of Sam the local spoilt 'rich kid' who's daddy owns the local car dealership "Paul's Porshes". He is talking to Jack the tea boy about what 'new' diesels will be coming to Southgate Road station engine shed!

Well, I hope you liked the new update and pictures and please as ever do give me your comments.

Many thanks and kind regards

Paul

PS. Joe, I have tried the kadee uncoupling thing and I'm afraid I just cannot get it to work because as soon as I reverse the kadee's just couple up again!!!! I'm confused.com

· Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (The_Docster @ 12 Aug 2009, 09:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your pics look great, I like the building with the dodgy tile,

Thanks Alan, It's a resin/plaster building from Harburn Hobbies up your end! very nice it is to.

Brian, thanks for kind comments also. Havn't been doing too much on the layout recently as I have been on holiday, as you may be aware I have been trying to "convert" a part of the layout to DCC!!!!

Kind regards to you both

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Hi Michael

In the end yes I did mate. Thank you for your and everyone else's help on my short problem it does seem to be working well now.

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (shedmad66 @ 14 Aug 2009, 18:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Love the purple A4!

Cheers Shedmad66, I love it to although I have been told that it isn't quite the right "shade" of purple and that the A4's didn't have the valances on in that period either!!!!

Oh well never mind eh!

By the way everyone the signalman has had a new purchase for his signal box! A brand new 'greenhouse'!

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Hi everyone

Yes I know it has been quite some time since my last update as I have recently started a new job and havn't really had much time to get on here.

Anyway I have just received my latest addition to my locomotive fleet! "KESTREL" and what a beauty it is, It runs very smoothly aswell (A world apart from the class 17).

I managed to photograph it as it came into the station for a crew change! (that's a laugh actually as it doesn't even come with a crew!) at £110 it damn well should do!!!!

Anyway here are the pictures

Hope you all like the pictures and its nice to be back on the forum after my short spell away.

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Hi all

I have just come on to my layout thread to let you all know that I am officially closing down this thread as I won't be doing any more to my layout, reason being that my wife Sue and I have decided to move back to the lovely Shropshire countryside where I had lived for over 30 years before I met Sue from Birmingham.

We both can't wait to move now but it won't be until the middle of next year but as you will all appreciate it would be daft to carry on with building my layout as it will have to be broken up.

May I take this oppotunity to thank you all for your kind comments and helpful hints etc.

You can follow me on another layout build though if you wish, you can find it here :-

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index...showtopic=11101

Kind regards

Paul

· Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 11 Dec 2009, 13:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'll go along with that. Incidentally which part of Shropshire are you hoping to move to, near the SVR?

Thanks Dave, It will be around Shrewsbury more than likely mate, Possibly Bayston Hill. Either way not too far from the SVR. Actually my wife and I are going on it next week for the christmas lunch special.

Kind regards

Paul

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.