Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 127 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
I've always known it as Kimwipe, possibly as it is/was produced by Kimberley Clark.

Regards

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thank you for that Britho. Now you say that it does make sense, Kimberley Clark is/was a big hygene supplies company.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
QUOTE (The_Docster @ 9 Apr 2009, 21:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What I liked and noticed (more than the kimwipe) was the warplane on the shelf are you in to the old airfix kits as well.
Hi Alan

Yes I am into the old Airfix kits, Well actually I am into military modelling aswell! Mainly Aircraft and Tanks. In fact if you look at the first page of this topic you will see I have incorporated an airfield in to my layout! I just love Hurricanes and Spitfires!!

If you are interested I can PM you a proper picture of it if you like, Or both as I have the Hurricane and FW190 in 1/24th scale!

Kind regards

Paul

QUOTE (noblenoel @ 10 Apr 2009, 06:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi paul great layout just one point you could help me with how have you made your joints on your lifting section as I have the same idea but cannot get it right .any help would be great

regards Noel

Shed layout Joints

Hi Noel

It was fairly easy mate but here goes. Firstly make sure the lifting section (herein abbreviated as LS) 'fits' inside the to other fixed sections without catching. Secondly, The side that will NOT be hinged is suppoted by the same bracket as the ajoining fixed section. Make sure that the LS is level with the outer 2 boards, Then lay the track as you would normally (I have kept it on a straight which I feel is a little easier to do!). Now this is the hardest part really though still not too bad! Screw a brass screw as close as you can to the track and make sure is does not protrude higher than the track top! Then you have to solder the track sides to the top of the screws. This then makes them impossible to move. For the hinges I have just used ones from a Wilkinsons store to fit the gap available. Also from the same store I have used a small brass latching bolt (again do this BEFORE you cut through the rails).Then with a razor saw or mini drill cut through the track where the gap of the LS will be. I do hope this has helped you to get yours working better and please remember if you get stuck on anything just PM me and I will get back to you (You can even leave me your phone number if you like).

Here are some pictures to hopefully clarify my directions!

I do hope this helps you Noel

Kind regards

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
There is a way that you could make the gap between the tracks a little smaller. Having done the cut, but before soldering to the screws, slide the track forward a little in its sleeper base then solder. I have done something similar on a lifting flap on my garage layout. I have found that you can get the gap down to under 1mm and have no difficulty with the track catching when you lift the flap.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
PM means to send a private message that is only viewable by the recipeint (and the admin) I find the easyest way is to click the link under the persons name and that takes you to their page where there is a link to send them a private message
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Paul, great layout, and really like the video of the Royal Scot loco running around the Shed....brill. You certainly have made good use of the space ( wish I had the 11 x 8 space! - certainly room for a 6-car Blue Pullman to stretch its legs!) Will keep looking at your thread for inspiration when I'm working on my layout...
cheers,
joe
ps what is the gradient on your incline between the two levels? I've yet to get to that stage, but will shortly, and would be interested in any views/tips you may have....

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi Mate
Thanks for your kind words.

My incline is 1:40 which is really a bit too steep! My loco's do go up it as they are only pulling a maximum of 5 wagons!

My advice to you would be to do an incline of NO less than 1:60! more if you have the room. I don't know if you know how to work out the ratio of 1:60 but just in case you didn't i will explain it. (sorry if you do but I just want to help you and don't mean to teach you to suck eggs!!)

Basically for every 1 that you want to travel upwards you need to go 60 forwards. I use inches so this is how I do it. From the start of your incline (the track that is still touching the baseboard) you need to count 60 inches then put the track ontop of a pice of wood etc that is an inch high, Then count another 60 inches and put the track ontop of a 2 inch pice of wood. I'm sure you are getting the idea now and you just keep putting these elevtions in until you get up to the height you want/need to clear any other trackwork/roads etc (depending on where your incline is going etc)

I hope this helps and if you need any more advice please dont hesitate to ask me

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi there!
this such a great layout (as i may have said before) and is very inspirational, i think sheds are a great basis for layouts because they are small enough to pack in alot of detail, yet big enough to run a small main line, you have done a lovely job with yours,
have you got any recent pictures, i've seen your videos on youtube and they are 5*
thanks again,
jono

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi Jono

Many thanks for your kind words, Keep an eye out tomorrow as I will be updating this thread with some more pictures.

I'm glad you like the youtube vids! I do enjoy doing them and it's surprising how much work is involved in making them. But, when I get kind comments like yours then it certainly is worthwhile.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hi Everyone

As promised here is an update on my layout. Not too much to see really as I have been concentrating on the garden railway! ( See my other thread )

I have been doing some scenery work around the control panel and adding sheep etc.

This one is of my Airfix 4F waiting for the right of way from Southgate Road Station ( Yes! finally my layout has a name!!)

This one is of a corner of the railway which I try to hide with a few trees. Just behind the wagon sidings.

Hope you like them, Please as ever comments always appreciated

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi,
the layout looks even better now!
two questions i'm afraid,
firstly, where did you get the benches for your pub from?looking to do something similar myself,
also, as i am going to do a shed layout, how do your put power into your shed for controllers etc, is it an external extension lead???
thanks
Jono

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Hi Jono

I got my benches from an Ebay seller in China/Hong Kong. There are very nice, there are about 15 in a packet and were about £8. Excellent value.

The power. I ran a 2.5mm twin and earth cable from the house in a plastic pipe (for protection! Hosepipe is ok to use also).
That goes into the shed and into a small consumer box (fuse box) the ones that have the mcb breakers in. You then just put in as many sockets as you think you will need from the fuse box around the shed.
The lights I just use a plug on the cable and switch it on when you need to for lighting.
The end of the 2.5mm T & E that is in the house I just put a 13amp plug on that and permanently keep plugged in to a socket that you don't use normally very often and VOILA!! there is your electric and it's safe because you have a maximum of 13amps in the plug.

Hi Alan

My Garden railway is completely separate from the shed layout as the difference in height is about 2 feet!! I have had a garden railway where the layout went through the shed which I think is a lot better because you can park all your stock safely and securely at night. I would suggest to you that if you could incorparate the shed with any outdoor railway so you can store your models on the track. It doesn't really matter if you can't though it just means that you have to take the stock off over night and put it back on again for your next running session.
I am very pleased that you think my railway efforts are worth watching it really does make one feel good. Like I have probably said before if you ever want any help or information pleased just ask and I will always freely give it.
If you would like some pictures of the garden railway etc please pm me.

Kind regards to you both and many thanks for your very kind words

Paul

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Hi Jono

I may not be able to do too much in the very near future as I am 'playing trains' alot on my garden railway. But If I was to stick my neck out then I suppose I might be concentrating on the area's around the water tower, engine shed and signal box.

Kind regards

Paul

41 - 60 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.