Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am as befits an ageing steam enthusiast forgetting just where I posted my go to wish list, so in so far as I can remember it went a bit like this.

1. 2 off new Bachmann V2's - sell off older pair.
2 4 new Black 5's and sell off about 8 older ones.
3. Sonic GCR livery A5
4. Rapido Jones goods 1962 yellow livery
5. Last Heljan (ever?) O2/2 low running plate GN can and short chimney (phew!)
6. a J27 from Oxford Rail
7 a P2 in later Bugatti streamline form
8. a W1 likewise as Bugatti streamliner
9. try a new Hornby 9F if it ever appears

I am sure there are a few others anyway just for now I have made a start and have purchased:-

1, a new V2 in early BR black lined livery, I also bought a decoder 21 pin jobbie from DCC concepts at the show in Bristol (Thornberry) today 60845 I paid £195 at least no postage necessary either although I had a target of £185 this was as close as possible, another stall had LNER ones cheaper but they had sound on the BR ones making them silly expensive.
1 down 12 to go and I hope to finance most of these by selling older stock, I might also point out that my 66th birthday is soon so at last the meagre state pension should be paid out which can only help if it just about covers the energy bills, I think a 1500 volt DC would really drain the finances.

Anyway it has to be stored until the fateful day (hint Eliza Dolittle day)

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The W1 late version BR green with Buigatti streamlining is now listed at Hattons for £241, a bit sharp but looks good I must say but £241 is a bit steep that would be more than I have ever paid - cough!
However it may yet come to pass as I am owed some money and if that comes then maybe.......

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
34c and others

Can you tell me whether when you got you new N7 whether it had the brake rods and the couplings fitted?

The leaflet says they are to be fitted

Mine came with these fitted = me suspicious?

· In depth idiot
8,702 Posts
All my three, plus a friend's purchase, came with couplers and brake pull rods fitted (covers the LNER, BR E/C and L/C versions). There was a small plastic bag containing bufferbeam pipes for user fitment with all of them.

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so what Rails told me was correct whilst the Oxford leaflet says you must fit these couplings and brake rods.
As a matter of interest does the loco need an 8 pin decoder. this is not mentioned however the drawing shows this fitted in the bunker but the drawing is not clear it may be a 21 pin, but oddly the leaflet with the loco does not mention dcc at all - I am sure I have not missed this.
Anyway I have sent it back as the box was somewhat knocked about and the wheels looked dirty so I came to the conclusion it was not new but I concede it might have been and that it is not new is more probable than otherwise.

Rails tell me they do not pass pre sold ones onwards as new so I wonder what they do with them?

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the meantime I have also ordered from Rails a GCR livery A5 which I am sure will look nice, it will look well alongside the two GCR Directors I have, perhaps just need to find a detail painter who could paint a J11 and an O4 as well. Just not good enough myself for this job, I also have a B3 in LNER livery which is in poor paint condition so that would look good in GCR livery as well.

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Time for an update
My list is now as follows
1. 2 off new Bachmann V2's - sell off older pair., so I now have one and the green one will be the other
2. a W1 likewise as Bugatti streamliner, now in stock
3. Sonic GCR livery A5, on order through Rails
4. N7 also now in stock

5. 4 new Black 5's and sell off about 8 older ones.
6. Rapido Jones goods 1962 yellow livery
7. Heljan O2/2 low running plate GN cab and short chimney
8. J27 from Oxford Rail
9. P2 in later Bugatti streamline form
10. try a new Hornby 9F if it ever appears

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Although not a new release I also rather would like a Midland 0-4-4tank especially one in SDJR livery but in fact I have never seen one, indeed I cannot recall any other version for sale either so it has to be added to the list

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK so the new list is now;

1. Green new type V2
2. Sonic GCR livery A% - on order
3. 4 new Hornby Black 5's to clear out older ones
4. Heljan O2/2 - one day Rover one day!
5. J27 from Oxford Rail
6. Bugatti Streamline P2
7. SDJR 0-4-4tank
8. Hornby 9F - to see if it is any good. - list price £228
9. Highland Jones goods HR yellow as 103 in 1962 finish

General living expenses have taken a bite out of progress on this front and it is getting expensive

OK bound to have forgotten something!

· C55
2,688 Posts
I did see a couple of posts, elsewhere, showing how someone obtained a WD 2-8-0 and a spare body. He [oversimplifying!!] sliced the body at the second boiler join, then the spare at the first join. When joined there were 2 x 2nd boiler sections, which is pretty much along the lines of how the originals were conceived. He then extended the chassis and added a slot for the additional driver axle. It certainly looked good and "you couldn't see the join" [sorry - nod to Morecambe and Wise there... :rolleyes: ].

It must have been much harder work than his description and pictures implied, but Hornby, Bachmann et-al, shouldn't have much of a problem... Gordon or Kitchener [oil tender - thank goodness, have driven that one].

J
[Edit - oops,,, t = n.]

· In depth idiot
8,702 Posts
I did see a couple of posts, elsewhere, showing how someone obtained a WD 2-8-0 and a spare body... (in order to make the WD 2-10-0).
Hornby, Bachmann et-al, shouldn't have much of a problem...
There have been several such projects completed over the 22 years since Bachmann first wheeled out their WD 2-8-0, and it does appear straightforward; and probably easier now that Bachmann's spare parts supply is better.

Bachmann have the WD 2-8-0 design in CAD one would hope, so given the intentional commonality of the two classes, tooling the 2-10-0 should be a relatively low cost project to create a model of a class never before available in RTR OO.

It does rather beg the question, why haven't Bachmann done it already? Could it be as simple as the production slot availability for a 'big engine' is 'tight' and more profitably deployed on the existing four big engines in their OO range? Just look at how long it took them to complete the V2 renewal...

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well the idea f this list was for either already produced models or announcements about new models due in a reasonable time scale (up to 10 years if you are Heljan)

So I suppose there should be another one for 'Iwannas' that are not available or announced and this might look a bit like this
1. B16/3 have a kit of one but they got around and after regionalisation turned up at Mirfield where I used to do a bit of spotting prior to 11th August 1968.
2. Highland River - my idea of a loco, chunky tough and capable.
3. WD 2-10-0 it's gotta be on the list. could do well as they did work west coast mainline.
4. A2/1 - well why wouldn't you?
5. K2 again have two kit versions but both out of action, will not stand up to a lot of work.
6. J6 same deal, I have one but it's not great - kit built.
7. H15 interesting footplate
8. Great bear? 'cos it's big
9. Lickey banker so this might actually arrive but my brass kit version is another out of action effort.
10. LNER B6 only 3 of these but very sensible locos
11. Rebuilt Crosti saw these on oil trains down the Colne Valley to Liversedge oil terminal trains.

There are others such as the B9 but I do not want readers to get too bored, tell me what you think.

· In depth idiot
8,702 Posts
...9. Lickey banker ...
Gotta keep up, announced for EOI by KR models! I'd substitute the J17. Along with the B16, J6, K2 you list, those would be definite purchases from me. ( Think I could resist the B6: Robinson's big mistake, not multiplying this design instead of the build of the inferior B7 which did nothing for his reputation.)

And the other thing: no tank engines!
1. GER J67 - 69 group, successful, long lived well distributed. What's not to like?
2. GNR C12 4-4-2T look so pretty.
3. LTSR 3P 4-4-2T look so pretty, names and livery in pre-group form a definite attraction.
4. Stanier 2-6-T every CME has an off day.
5. Stanier 0-4-4T some CME's had more than one off day.
6. Park NLR 0-6-0T. Suitable for all of North London, and the Cromford and High Peak.
7. A big Baltic tank (4-6-4T) simply because there's never been one, nominate your poison!
8. A big 4-8-0T or 0-8-4T hump shunter,simply because there's never been one, nominate your poison!
9. A UK fireless, simply because there's never been one, nominate your poison!
10. Wath banker, Beyer Garratt 2-8-0+0-8-2T. Just BECAUSE.

· Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting selection not that I would ever expect less from yourself 34c

1. J67, OK I suppose not very exciting.
2. C12, have a very nice kit but they were a bit pudding as is my kit version but nice to look at on a quiet branch line somewhere just I have no where to use it.
3 LTSR 4-4-2 - nice and as I lived in Southend for 5 years would be welcome - so a hit with this one.
4. Stanier 2-6-2?tank, better than the pathetic Fowler version done by the old codgers at Derby while the young ones did the 2-6-4t, so an aneamic loco whilst Stanier version little better.
5 Stanier 0-4-4tank come on you are not being serious.
6. NLR 0-6-0t well not the best of the best, so no interest from me.
7. Baltic 4-6-4tank, I have a kit of one of these ex father, LYR version certainly looks impressive I also have a Romanian 2-12-4tank - way to go guys!
8 Hump shunting has to be GCR 0-8-4t I'll take one of these.
9. Fireless? well Ok in a brewery yard but not for me.
10 Wath Banker maybe the Robinson 2-10-2 design I could go for

So not so taken with the list overall but a few possibilities, I think manufacturers will be looking for sales potential so OK the 2-6-2t should be OK but really not expecting much from the Hatfield list, think my Gorton list would do much better in sales terms.

· In depth idiot
8,702 Posts
...5 Stanier 0-4-4tank come on you are not being serious...
My serious nomination would be an example of the Caledonian 0-4-4T.

There must be several more 'essential for local character' small tank locos of pre-group origin that would make good models. My North of London bias shows up in my picks. But there will be plenty more; the Cambrian, Knotty, Furness, GCR, GSWR, Highland, NBR, would all be good for at least one, and there would be more yet

1 - 20 of 28 Posts