Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early days on the "Redland Valley Railway" a Freelance N Gauge layout that I am building in my backyard shed, although this is my fifth layout this is the first time I have got around to building scenery, in the past I have pretty much just run and collected trains my layouts had just a few buildings etc, being a train fanatic for 60+ years that was all I was realy interested in.

I am now finding more enjoyment building scenery than I ever anticipated, I am of course just a learner thanks to the internet and a huge collection of books I have managed to fumble through a fair bit of work.

The layout is a figment of my imagination, I live in an area of Brisbane called Redlands Shire which got its name from the ozide red soil that the area is built on, I decided to adopt the name for my layout but it bears no resemblance to the real location.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi David From the layout name I guessed you were in the Redlands Shire.
What sort of stock are you going to run?
From my perspective, I'd prefer to hide the points motors under the board, but I know that means a lot of crawling around. Would you consider using manual points for the easy to reach places? Either way would definitely improve your chances for making good scenery. [Mine are all manual - but I have loooooong arms]
Good luck with your layout.
Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (mikelhh @ 26 Jan 2007, 04:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi David From the layout name I guessed you were in the Redlands Shire.
What sort of stock are you going to run?
From my perspective, I'd prefer to hide the points motors under the board, but I know that means a lot of crawling around. Would you consider using manual points for the easy to reach places? Either way would definitely improve your chances for making good scenery. [Mine are all manual - but I have loooooong arms]
Good luck with your layout.
Mike

Hi Mike thanks for the reply, I am running Japanese Prototype Steam and Diesel mainly for the smooth running qualities brands include Kato, MicroAce, Tomix and Modemo, also like the idea that Japanese steam and diesel ran side by side until the mid 1970s, thought it would make a nice change from what I have used in the past which is either British or American.

I have used push rods for point changing on all previous layouts but decided to go with the points motors this time, reason for top mounting is twofold, first I have lower back problems second the layout is partly built on a door, the points motors will be concealed under buildings inc signal boxes, as with many other things on this layout I will get around to it in time.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
That soil looks familiar!

In regard to the point motors, I am in the middle of building a new layout and some of the points are going to have to be in some places where putting motors underneath is impossible so I was looking at putting them on top too. I guess hiding them under buildings and so on is the go.

I could have some of them manual but part of the layout where I have the storage/fiddle yards will be under a covered inaccessible area so I will have to motorise these ones.

Nice mix of buildings and scenery.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Steam and diesel side by side? Why wasn't I told that could be done? I might have turned Japanese myself.

I have read a few vague articles about using push rods for turnouts. Maybe I'll try to add some to my U.S. half. er.....any tips on how to do it would be very welcome...
Looking forward to more photo updates.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.