Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
I'm Donny Rail Man and I collect Gresley and Peppercorn 4 6 2 Pacific's and run them on the S.C.R.
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could have been Flying Scotsman if it had not been for Alan Peglers foresight and vision who single Andedly bought and saved Flying Scotsman of the indignity of ending up like this. My latest new locomotive at Severn Crescent Railway.
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Mode of transport

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Product

·
In depth idiot
8,587 Posts
Only if it had gone to Woodhams at Barry. Which ER locos didn't, because they were quickly and efficiently broken up closer to home.

The disposal for scrap was so rapid that there often wasn't sufficient time for fundraising: so the early 'private saves' like that of the A3, were very much exceptions.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I know you've put a lot of work into that and that is to be encouraged - well done for having a go - we all started somewhere, but when weathering, I always encourage modellers to use photographs of the real thing so that one can model what one actually sees rather than what one 'thinks' one sees.

Putting aside whether an A3 would have been in this condition, for best results, you need to observe where the rust process starts, how the environment/weather affects it and how it progresses. All of this affects the tone - I think your overall colour is way too orange - most deteriorating locos were a mixture of greys and browns with tinges of reds and oranges limited to patches - colour photos are the only way to check this.

A loco in this condition would not have been in service and would have most fittings removed (especially ferrous metals), including coupling rods as they were high value and could be reused on other locos as spares.

Some of my weathering here:

Weathering Locomotives
Weathering 16T Mineral Wagons

1 - 9 of 9 Posts