Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I don't know really where to start this post but here goes. I wish to build a layout of a former S&D station but I don't know which one to choose. I keep looking at various plans and think yep that one will do but after sitting down I usually end up starting over again as I find some reason why not to model station X.
Space isn't a real problem I want a continuous run but it's not the main want but I also want a yard so basicaly I want to watch the trains go by but if it takes my fancy I can do a bit of shunting.
I keep choosing stations on the mainline because I want to see my favourite locos (Bulleid's & 7F's) run but I quite like Glastonbury and Highbridge (I like the wharf)and my choice of locos didn't do the branch. So if there are any S&D modellers out there who have got any thoughts on what they would model and why I would be grateful to hear from you.
To run big locos on the branch I would have to have "an alternative history" type layout which doesn't bother me and some of the places I can't see me modelling are Midford, Henstridge, Stalbridge & Shillingstone.
Even though I do have space I am limited to running my layout around the walls as some of my stock is kit built and won't negotiate tight curves.

Shaun

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
In your shoes, 'alternative geography' might supplement alternative history. Blend the wharf you like with the mainline location required to run the big engines at, oh, Shepbridge Mallet or Midsomer on Avon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over the past 24 hours I have been looking closely at the plan for Highbridge which could be turned in to a continuous run via the fiddleyard. An alternate geography is looking like the better option

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I would look at Radstock with an imaginary junction with the North Somerset, giving an alternative route to the north & south Wales of course this would reduce traffic on the congested single track section through to Green Park. There are plenty scenic features you could cherry pick including the magnificent viaduct at Pensford complete with it's mine complex.
I had several long bites at the S&D the first centered on Evercreech and the second effort on operations through Green Park and an imaginary major junction in the Radstock area.
http://home.intekom.com/wurzel/index.html
I've posted this here before so this is nothing new to most of the older members of this forum. This layout was cut up with a chain saw when we left South Africa, and when I move at the end of this month my new home will back onto the old track bed of the S&D - I'm currently fired up by On30 and that will certainly be my next layout.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 6 Mar 2008, 08:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would look at Radstock with an imaginary junction with the North Somerset, giving an alternative route to the north & south Wales of course this would reduce traffic on the congested single track section through to Green Park. There are plenty scenic features you could cherry pick including the magnificent viaduct at Pensford complete with it's mine complex.
I had several long bites at the S&D the first centered on Evercreech and the second effort on operations through Green Park and an imaginary major junction in the Radstock area.
http://home.intekom.com/wurzel/index.html
I've posted this here before so this is nothing new to most of the older members of this forum. This layout was cut up with a chain saw when we left South Africa, and when I move at the end of this month my new home will back onto the old track bed of the S&D - I'm currently fired up by On30 and that will certainly be my next layout.
Hi, Radstock looks good and the connection to the NSR (as it did post 66) would certainly fit my needs, a little bit of selective compression would allow me to fit Radstock in plus there is a wealth of info on Radstock it's up there with Evercreech & Bath when it comes to prototype photos.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have thought about it all last night and I think I can get it in to the space I have available, so here are a few thoughts.
I will have to put it on a gentle curve & Radstock south could be kept open as a unmanned halt/ station for through trains?
I quite like the idea of combining both railways even though I am a die hard S&D man I have like the NSR after seeing Clutton layout.
If I modelled a mid week service the only really long train I need would be the pines which I could compress down to 8/9 coaches and I could have a compact staging yard
Ex GWR line could be included so i could serve the wagon works which will hide the exit of the S&D line.
I have looked at the plan for Radstock and my only real headache would be building 3 single slips which will keep me busy along with the countless 16T minerals I will need to build as Radstock yard was always full.
I have been undecided on DCC and I have been using DCC for the past 14 years but wasn't going to use it on this layout as half my stock has portescaps fitted needing expensive decoders but having DCC will be useful for banking freights to Masbury.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Of course it does depend on the space you have. It's a no boner to go DCC, I really wouldn't contemplate any new project without DCC. It's not expensive, simplifies wiring and really improves control, and as an added bonus reduces maintenance as well. Yes Clutton is nice and of course it's always nice to see one our local villages that you know featured. ( The railway at clutton was my local for a while) But there's only so much you can do with a single line branch. I do strongly agree the S&Djr has got to be the central theme, there was always something out of the ordinary likely to appear. It's just inconceivable that such an asset would be willfully destroyed by prejudice.

BTW the station at Masbury, next door to one of our favourate garden centers is quite well preserved, although it's only visible during winter due to the thick vegetation in the area.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 7 Mar 2008, 12:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Of course it does depend on the space you have. It's a no boner to go DCC, I really wouldn't contemplate any new project without DCC. It's not expensive, simplifies wiring and really improves control, and as an added bonus reduces maintenance as well. Yes Clutton is nice and of course it's always nice to see one our local villages that you know featured. ( The railway at clutton was my local for a while) But there's only so much you can do with a single line branch. I do strongly agree the S&Djr has got to be the central theme, there was always something out of the ordinary likely to appear. It's just inconceivable that such an asset would be willfully destroyed by prejudice.

BTW the station at Masbury, next door to one of our favourate garden centers is quite well preserved, although it's only visible during winter due to the thick vegetation in the area.
Radstock S&D it is, going for 1950 to 54 period which allows me to still run the odd LMS loco if I want to. Space wise I have a romm 26 feet by 14 feet to play with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts