Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The arm has more or less recovered, (won't be 100% for about a year) but the wrist had some muscle damage which is being treated by physiotherapy.

I'm planning my 'Physiotherapy Project' (and that will be the layout's name!)

I have a 3ft x 7in board which will have at one end a 2-track diesel shed (Hornby) with a Walthers fuelling rack in front and a sanding tower at the opposite end.

It will be 'pointless' in that there will just 2 parallel tracks each holding one HO American loco and they will just shuttle back and forth using an HM2000 controller.

Yes, it will be minimalist, even boring, but it will not be a 5-minutes job to build - it will allow me to concentrate on detailing and more importantly get me to use all my arm and wrist muscles again.

The plan below was 'pinched' from another forum and is of a single track version.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Dave

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me. Have you considered adding a small cassette fiddle yard at either end so you could swap out locos when you feel like it?

Rob

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Dave,

Is this the result of the previous single line terminus thread?

With that amount of space you have plenty of room for detailing and cameo scenes - I look forward to more information as it becomes available.

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In answer to your questions and comments:

80 Class: The fall, the surgery and long recovery has dented my confidence a bit and I'm taking on what I know I can do, if my confidence and ability increases, I will certainly take on board your cassette fiddle yard suggestion.

Britho: I pinched this plan from another micro layout builder but I'll be building a double track version and yes, the diagram is a variation of the Single Line Terminus, proving that SLTs don't have to be passenger orientated!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 18 Apr 2008, 07:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the diagram is a variation of the Single Line Terminus, proving that SLTs don't have to be passenger orientated!

Exactly - and they don't have to be massive either.

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

Have been studying the prototype for this project and came up with these:

Shed & fuelling rack at Ludlow, Kentucky. Now imagine this with the Hornby HST Shed kit and the Walthers Fuelling Rack?

And at the opposite end of the fuelling rack is my IHC Sand Tower!

Servicing my Bachmann Alaska RR GP40-2 No.3012 on one track.....

....and my newly-acquired Proto 1000 Central Vermont RS11 3610 on the other track.

What do you think so far?

Dave

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 29 Apr 2008, 16:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What do you think so far?

Well - I like the look of that Kentucky layout, I think you could have a lot of fun with that. I can see that the concept is going to work.

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been mucking about in the garage and have done the first draft:

Just placed the plastic bases down for the fuelling point and shed and plonked the locos on to get some idea of how big or small this project is going to be. The loco shed is 10" long and the fuelling point is 11" long, all sitting on a 36" x 7" ply base. Might make the layout 24" long - only because I hate ballasting!

More to follow - One day!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried to saw another baseboard today, but after about half-dozen saw strokes, the pain in wrist and arm was unbearable. Seriously thinking of keeping the 36inch board length with only 24 inches for the 'layout' and the remaining 12 inches as an information panel.

Because I've got 4 more exhibitions this year (am I glad to overhaul Walmington Pier Tramway and complete Route's End 2 before the accident!), there will be no mad rush to complete the Physio Project, in fact I'm trying to regain confidence to start it. Accidents and injuries like mine do dent your confidence!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE Tried to saw another baseboard today, but after about half-dozen saw strokes, the pain in wrist and arm was unbearable. Seriously thinking of keeping the 36inch board length with only 24 inches for the 'layout' and the remaining 12 inches as an information panel.

I am sorry to hear that, but your break(s) were pretty serious so it's bound to take some time. Of course it could be nature's way of telling you to do some more ballasting

As for the physio, back to squeezing exercises with a rubber ball?

David

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!! But I still hate b****y ballasting! That's why I built 'Walmington Pier Tramway' in the first place and 'Route's End 2' uses Gaugemaster and Peco foam ballast underlays!!!

As for that rubber ball, any more squeezing and I'll throw it out of one of the upstairs rooms!!!

Dave

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Dave,

I'm sorry to hear that too - looks like you will have to take it gently for a little longer. Just take you time & don't rush things, although that's easy for me to say - I know I would be getting impatient if I were in your place.

All the best.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 5 May 2008, 18:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!! But I still hate b****y ballasting! That's why I built 'Walmington Pier Tramway' in the first place and 'Route's End 2' uses Gaugemaster and Peco foam ballast underlays!!!

As for that rubber ball, any more squeezing and I'll throw it out of one of the upstairs rooms!!!

Dave

Ballast is more of a chore to think about to do, but it can be a pain I agree!

Why don't you do it the way the professionals do it more often than not.

* Plan the track and lay the roadbed.
* Lay out the track and make sure its positioning is perfect
* put pins with no head thru the sleeper holes (pins shouldn't be a tight fit in sleeper holes - leave extended a few mm above sleepers).
* remove track leaving pins in place

Now...the track fixing & ballasting part. for your small layouts it'll take less than 10 minutes + waiting time for the glue to dry.

* paint all ballast area/track area with full strength glue reasonably thickly for plain track, more conservatively for pointwork
* place track back over pins
* sprinkle ballast liberally all over everything and tap into place with gentle fingers - use plenty but keep below rail tops.
* put weights on the track while it dries (bits of wood with a brick on top works well...)

Done!!

* wait an hour and turn the board over - tap a couple of times to remove any loose ballast.
* remove the pins totally - you no longer need them
* Run fingernails down both sides of rails and the job is done.

It will look almost perfect... and its Dead easy and stress free! BEST done with thin sleepered track but still OK with Peco etc...

No glue on rail or sleepers!
No ballast on rail sides or sleepers
No rail cleaning needed - just run trains.

Richard

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Looks good Dave,

Obviously more physio needed though.

I liked the juxtaposition of the HVV behind the profect.

Regards

·
Registered
50 Posts
why use a rubber ball for your excersises?, why not use a pva bottle full of dilute glue kill 2 birds with one stone as you love ballasting so much!!.

sorry to hear of the accident and heres to a speedy and enjoyable physio project. Tony P.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had a full-day physio session today and told that my arm is fit enough for normal day-to-day use, but no heavy lifting and no contact sports until further notice by my consultant. Consequently, I have been discharged from physiotherapy.

Now, do I go ahead with my 'Project' or what?

Dave

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 13 May 2008, 22:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now, do I go ahead with my 'Project' or what?

Dave
As long as you take it steady why not ?

Looks like full recovery is well on the way - good news indeed & thanks for letting us know.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts