Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The arm has more or less recovered, (won't be 100% for about a year) but the wrist had some muscle damage which is being treated by physiotherapy.

I'm planning my 'Physiotherapy Project' (and that will be the layout's name!)

I have a 3ft x 7in board which will have at one end a 2-track diesel shed (Hornby) with a Walthers fuelling rack in front and a sanding tower at the opposite end.

It will be 'pointless' in that there will just 2 parallel tracks each holding one HO American loco and they will just shuttle back and forth using an HM2000 controller.

Yes, it will be minimalist, even boring, but it will not be a 5-minutes job to build - it will allow me to concentrate on detailing and more importantly get me to use all my arm and wrist muscles again.

The plan below was 'pinched' from another forum and is of a single track version.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In answer to your questions and comments:

80 Class: The fall, the surgery and long recovery has dented my confidence a bit and I'm taking on what I know I can do, if my confidence and ability increases, I will certainly take on board your cassette fiddle yard suggestion.

Britho: I pinched this plan from another micro layout builder but I'll be building a double track version and yes, the diagram is a variation of the Single Line Terminus, proving that SLTs don't have to be passenger orientated!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

Have been studying the prototype for this project and came up with these:

Shed & fuelling rack at Ludlow, Kentucky. Now imagine this with the Hornby HST Shed kit and the Walthers Fuelling Rack?

And at the opposite end of the fuelling rack is my IHC Sand Tower!

Servicing my Bachmann Alaska RR GP40-2 No.3012 on one track.....

....and my newly-acquired Proto 1000 Central Vermont RS11 3610 on the other track.

What do you think so far?

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been mucking about in the garage and have done the first draft:

Just placed the plastic bases down for the fuelling point and shed and plonked the locos on to get some idea of how big or small this project is going to be. The loco shed is 10" long and the fuelling point is 11" long, all sitting on a 36" x 7" ply base. Might make the layout 24" long - only because I hate ballasting!

More to follow - One day!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried to saw another baseboard today, but after about half-dozen saw strokes, the pain in wrist and arm was unbearable. Seriously thinking of keeping the 36inch board length with only 24 inches for the 'layout' and the remaining 12 inches as an information panel.

Because I've got 4 more exhibitions this year (am I glad to overhaul Walmington Pier Tramway and complete Route's End 2 before the accident!), there will be no mad rush to complete the Physio Project, in fact I'm trying to regain confidence to start it. Accidents and injuries like mine do dent your confidence!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!! But I still hate b****y ballasting! That's why I built 'Walmington Pier Tramway' in the first place and 'Route's End 2' uses Gaugemaster and Peco foam ballast underlays!!!

As for that rubber ball, any more squeezing and I'll throw it out of one of the upstairs rooms!!!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had a full-day physio session today and told that my arm is fit enough for normal day-to-day use, but no heavy lifting and no contact sports until further notice by my consultant. Consequently, I have been discharged from physiotherapy.

Now, do I go ahead with my 'Project' or what?

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Felt brave and strong enough to go into the garage and guess what? I'VE STARTED!!!!!!!!!

Baseboard is 6mm ply 3ft x 7ins. Track is laid to 2ft length and the remaining 1ft (painted white) will hold the controller. The track is in place but not yet secured and the Hornby HST Shed is sub-assembled (I taped it together just for this pic):

Alaska RR 3012 and Central Vermont 3610 sit on the unpainted Walthers fuelling rack pad.

More will follow!!!!

Dave

PS I looks like we've lost the photos of the prototypes, so I'll re-submit them:

Shed & Fuelling rack at Ludlow, Kentucky

Sand Tower

Alaska RR GP40-2 3012 at Anchorage Shops.

Central Vermont RS11 3611 bulled up for a railtour.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Another morning in the garage:

Shed assembled and in place, Fuelling Pad weathered and in place, track secured.

I think I'm getting good at this!!!! Seriously, it has helped my arm a lot and doing wonders for my morale having been made 'redundant' by an unscrupulous (French) employer who fired the UK Managing Director, myself and the UK Sales Manager almost 3 weeks ago and jobhunting a week before your 54th birthday ain't much fun!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Friday 6 June - In the garage:

It may not look like much has happened, but the shed has been given a light spray of matt varnish, the track level grating is in place on the fuelling pad as are the fuel and water pumps with their hoses. What's not seen here is the start on the IHC Sand Tower kit with various sub-assemblies painted.

Won't get much done next week due to interviews and being taken out for my birthday.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thursday 12 June:

Getting there!!!!

Tha Sanding Tower assembly was aborted as the kit is of such poor quality and I'd be better off without it! So I assembled the pump house that comes with the Walthers Fuelling Point in its rightful place.

The above pic shows the Hornby/HM 2000 controller in place and for the first time power is supplied and things operated!

A close-up of the depot in operation showing my method of connecting power leads to track - using spade connectors to the underside of the rail ends and the leads crimped. Both locos ran smoothly, but I still have some way to go!

Hope you like it as much as I do.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Almost there!!!!!

Found some cladding sections from an old Walthers building kit and chose them to be the backscene and added a few Noch figures:

Now need to put a screen between controller and track bumpers and I'm done!!!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi all,

Been busy selling off most of my extensive collection of Wagons-Lits (Orient Express, etc) and MITROPA (German sleeping and dining cars) HO stock as I have no further use for them and need some cash pdq!!!! I am keeping hold of a few vehicles for sentimental reasons.

Many years ago I had a 4ft x 1ft layout based upon a Wagons-Lits Petit Entretien (Service Depot) where a Jouef C61000 shunter moved Wagons-Lits sleeping and dining cars between shed and wash plant - it appeared at one of the first SNCF Society Newmarket shows and was written up in La Vie du Rail!!!

Just been to the garage and decided if 'Physio Project' can also do something similar:

Piko DR Ko1 coupled to Sachsenmodelle MITROPA Restaurant/Buffet Car and adjacent is a much-refurbished Jouef/Playcraft (dates from early 1960s) Wagons-Lits 'Night Ferry' (London-Paris) Sleeping Car.
In this case, the stabling shed is just that and the fuelling pad becomes the external cleaning area as well as refilling water tanks in the coaches.

Now, here is the problem -

The 12 inches long white expanse of board would normally house a Hornby HM2000 controller, but I would like to get the loco (all 2.5 inches of it) from one track to the other. I don't think there is enough room to lay a point, curves and a 2.5ins long headshunt. Nor do I think there is enough room for a Peco Locolift to be used as a sector track/traverser. Might have to find another small loco for parallel running.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have posted this topic on two other forums in order to gather as much information as possible from UK and overseas before I commit myself to anything.

Suggestions are:
Turntable using CD and its box with track at same length as the CD diameter.
Track geometry plans showing either conventional or Y points (within a shed or no shed).
Peco Locolift either full length or shortened inside a shed as a traverser or even adapted to an external traverser.
Extending both tracks into another shed and manually change the loco over.
Extending both tracks into another shed and have one loco per track.

It looks like another shed is a must - Anyone got a Hornby HST Shed kit please?

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 6 Sep 2008, 23:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love the depot scene I just wish I could get my concrete section looking as good. Everytime I try it always looks rough and I never get the desired effect I'm after. Your depot just shows that it is possible but I don't think I will ever get the hang of it or even get it looking half decent.

I cheat like hell and the simplest way I do concrete weathering is:

1. Paint area in a standard concrete paint finish (Humbrol, Railmatch, Precision, Floquil, etc) and leave to dry.

2. Pour an amount of dirty black, track colour and grey and then spread it along the surface with a clean sheet of kitchen roll.

3. Then pour lighter fluid or thinners onto this messy surface and wipe quickly to take the excess off, the more wipes, the less weathered it will look, but speed is important here.

4. If it looks too weathered, keep wiping! If it looks not weathered enough repeat steps 2 & 3.

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Now off sick - for at least 2 weeks with 'Stress Related Problems' according to my medical certificate - caused by driving anything between 750 and 1000 miles/week visiting clients all over South and South-East England and twice I've fallen asleep at the wheel, luckily with no damage done nor injuries to anyone else.

The law restricts the maximum hours that lorry and multi-drop drivers have to drive, but there is no such legislation for company car drivers and their employers are well aware of that!

Going to spend the next two (or more) weeks completing this, so watch this space!!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Decided to have another de-stressing session in the garage:

Chose to hide the Hornby HM2000 controller (big brute that it is) within a building and the Peco Train Unit Shed is ideal for that purpose!
Part-built Peco shed on left, Walthers Fuelling Pad centre, Hornby HST shed on right. Stock on show is Bachmann Alaska RR GP40-2 and Spectrum US spec Plasser ballast tamper.

General view of Fuelling Pad with Alaska RR GP40-2 and nose of Central Vermont RS11.

Gone are the Walthers track bumpers and in place is the part-built Peco train unit shed with doors sealed closed. All that remains is the final positioning of the Peco shed, adding its roof and insert controller.

Then I'll be ready for my first showing next February!

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Got another medical certificate today to take me up to Tuesday 11th November, then back to work to face the music or I might tell where to put the job and inform them that the abusive letter will follow
So I am pretty serious about developing my own company and being my own boss.

After a friend reminded me that this life is for real, it is not a dress rehearsal and I know what she means.

Physio Project might make its public debut at the Ipswich Transport Museum model day sometime in March, so I can slow down a bit with this and get Routes End 2 repaired for sale.

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi Upnick,

Sorry to hear about your fall, and I wish you a speedy recovery. Your disadvantage is that you're not that mobile and will have to do a lot of your work seated.

Here's the original concept diagram to remind you:

and to help you get started, would you be interested in the fuel tank kit and loading/unloading gantry (all unmade) that is left over from my Walthers fuelling pad kit?

Please PM me with contact details if interested.

Good luck with your foot and your project and please keep us regularly informed on both!

Cheers,

Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.