Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 5 May 2008, 18:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!! But I still hate b****y ballasting! That's why I built 'Walmington Pier Tramway' in the first place and 'Route's End 2' uses Gaugemaster and Peco foam ballast underlays!!!

As for that rubber ball, any more squeezing and I'll throw it out of one of the upstairs rooms!!!

Dave

Ballast is more of a chore to think about to do, but it can be a pain I agree!

Why don't you do it the way the professionals do it more often than not.

* Plan the track and lay the roadbed.
* Lay out the track and make sure its positioning is perfect
* put pins with no head thru the sleeper holes (pins shouldn't be a tight fit in sleeper holes - leave extended a few mm above sleepers).
* remove track leaving pins in place

Now...the track fixing & ballasting part. for your small layouts it'll take less than 10 minutes + waiting time for the glue to dry.

* paint all ballast area/track area with full strength glue reasonably thickly for plain track, more conservatively for pointwork
* place track back over pins
* sprinkle ballast liberally all over everything and tap into place with gentle fingers - use plenty but keep below rail tops.
* put weights on the track while it dries (bits of wood with a brick on top works well...)

Done!!

* wait an hour and turn the board over - tap a couple of times to remove any loose ballast.
* remove the pins totally - you no longer need them
* Run fingernails down both sides of rails and the job is done.

It will look almost perfect... and its Dead easy and stress free! BEST done with thin sleepered track but still OK with Peco etc...

No glue on rail or sleepers!
No ballast on rail sides or sleepers
No rail cleaning needed - just run trains.

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Don't visit Perth on the way back then... we've now had a week of 35~40 degrees, and more to come!

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.