Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 13 May 2008, 22:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now, do I go ahead with my 'Project' or what?

Hi Dave,

Quite honestly - yes, I am looking forward to seeing it.

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Felt brave and strong enough to go into the garage and guess what? I'VE STARTED!!!!!!!!!

Baseboard is 6mm ply 3ft x 7ins. Track is laid to 2ft length and the remaining 1ft (painted white) will hold the controller. The track is in place but not yet secured and the Hornby HST Shed is sub-assembled (I taped it together just for this pic):

Alaska RR 3012 and Central Vermont 3610 sit on the unpainted Walthers fuelling rack pad.

More will follow!!!!

Dave

PS I looks like we've lost the photos of the prototypes, so I'll re-submit them:

Shed & Fuelling rack at Ludlow, Kentucky

Sand Tower

Alaska RR GP40-2 3012 at Anchorage Shops.

Central Vermont RS11 3611 bulled up for a railtour.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Another morning in the garage:

Shed assembled and in place, Fuelling Pad weathered and in place, track secured.

I think I'm getting good at this!!!! Seriously, it has helped my arm a lot and doing wonders for my morale having been made 'redundant' by an unscrupulous (French) employer who fired the UK Managing Director, myself and the UK Sales Manager almost 3 weeks ago and jobhunting a week before your 54th birthday ain't much fun!

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Lookin good piermaster ... i cant wait to see the ends results ..... good luck with the jobhunting

upnick.

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts

Shed assembled and in place, Fuelling Pad weathered and in place, track secured.

I think I'm getting good at this!!!! Seriously, it has helped my arm a lot and doing wonders for my morale having been made 'redundant' by an unscrupulous (French) employer who fired the UK Managing Director, myself and the UK Sales Manager almost 3 weeks ago and jobhunting a week before your 54th birthday ain't much fun!

Dave
[/quote]

Looks like your going to have another great little layout!

If you let slip the address of the 'unscrupulous french employer' we could send Doug round with a 'tool' and sort him out

Hope your not looking for to long, but enjoy your birthday and ask for lots of trains

Brian

·
Registered
642 Posts
The latest pics of the depot/fuelling area looks great. If you need anymore physio I wouldn't mind you coming round my house and getting my depot area as sorted as yours looks at the moment.

I hope you manage to find a job soon mate.

Keep your chin up.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Friday 6 June - In the garage:

It may not look like much has happened, but the shed has been given a light spray of matt varnish, the track level grating is in place on the fuelling pad as are the fuel and water pumps with their hoses. What's not seen here is the start on the IHC Sand Tower kit with various sub-assemblies painted.

Won't get much done next week due to interviews and being taken out for my birthday.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Good luck with the interviews, and enjoy your birthday. I'm glad you decided to continue with this project.

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thursday 12 June:

Getting there!!!!

Tha Sanding Tower assembly was aborted as the kit is of such poor quality and I'd be better off without it! So I assembled the pump house that comes with the Walthers Fuelling Point in its rightful place.

The above pic shows the Hornby/HM 2000 controller in place and for the first time power is supplied and things operated!

A close-up of the depot in operation showing my method of connecting power leads to track - using spade connectors to the underside of the rail ends and the leads crimped. Both locos ran smoothly, but I still have some way to go!

Hope you like it as much as I do.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Yup I like that a lot - plenty of detail in a small area.

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Almost there!!!!!

Found some cladding sections from an old Walthers building kit and chose them to be the backscene and added a few Noch figures:

Now need to put a screen between controller and track bumpers and I'm done!!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Dave,
Great to see more progress on this project ....... i hope you enjoy operating it nice to see american locos for a change.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi all,

Been busy selling off most of my extensive collection of Wagons-Lits (Orient Express, etc) and MITROPA (German sleeping and dining cars) HO stock as I have no further use for them and need some cash pdq!!!! I am keeping hold of a few vehicles for sentimental reasons.

Many years ago I had a 4ft x 1ft layout based upon a Wagons-Lits Petit Entretien (Service Depot) where a Jouef C61000 shunter moved Wagons-Lits sleeping and dining cars between shed and wash plant - it appeared at one of the first SNCF Society Newmarket shows and was written up in La Vie du Rail!!!

Just been to the garage and decided if 'Physio Project' can also do something similar:

Piko DR Ko1 coupled to Sachsenmodelle MITROPA Restaurant/Buffet Car and adjacent is a much-refurbished Jouef/Playcraft (dates from early 1960s) Wagons-Lits 'Night Ferry' (London-Paris) Sleeping Car.
In this case, the stabling shed is just that and the fuelling pad becomes the external cleaning area as well as refilling water tanks in the coaches.

Now, here is the problem -

The 12 inches long white expanse of board would normally house a Hornby HM2000 controller, but I would like to get the loco (all 2.5 inches of it) from one track to the other. I don't think there is enough room to lay a point, curves and a 2.5ins long headshunt. Nor do I think there is enough room for a Peco Locolift to be used as a sector track/traverser. Might have to find another small loco for parallel running.

Any suggestions please?

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 17 Aug 2008, 11:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Dave,

How about the use of a FLM 3-way point used as a "Y" - they are quite a tight radius. (Looks like I missed out on the CIWL
)

Good idea Brian,

It throws up a question i have been trying to find the answer to who makes a three way point in 'N' gauge any ideas ?
I have one from Model Power in the states but it has the housing for the mechanism on either side of the point and ugly rivets.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have posted this topic on two other forums in order to gather as much information as possible from UK and overseas before I commit myself to anything.

Suggestions are:
Turntable using CD and its box with track at same length as the CD diameter.
Track geometry plans showing either conventional or Y points (within a shed or no shed).
Peco Locolift either full length or shortened inside a shed as a traverser or even adapted to an external traverser.
Extending both tracks into another shed and manually change the loco over.
Extending both tracks into another shed and have one loco per track.

It looks like another shed is a must - Anyone got a Hornby HST Shed kit please?

Cheers,
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Dave,

I was thinking about your layout the other day and wondered if you had seen the OO pikestuff range of kits as they do an engine house

pikestuff engine house

a retailer here in the U.K. for it is here

http://www.mgsharp.com/Rix_Pikestuff.htm

or a search for pikestuff on U.S. ebay has some listed cheaper .... not sure if it will fit in with your plans but i can reccomend the kits as they give you a height choice and have cut outs inside scribed to open up other areas.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I love the depot scene I just wish I could get my concrete section looking as good. Everytime I try it always looks rough and I never get the desired effect I'm after. Your depot just shows that it is possible but I don't think I will ever get the hang of it or even get it looking half decent.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.