Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 6 Sep 2008, 23:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I love the depot scene I just wish I could get my concrete section looking as good. Everytime I try it always looks rough and I never get the desired effect I'm after. Your depot just shows that it is possible but I don't think I will ever get the hang of it or even get it looking half decent.

I cheat like hell and the simplest way I do concrete weathering is:

1. Paint area in a standard concrete paint finish (Humbrol, Railmatch, Precision, Floquil, etc) and leave to dry.

2. Pour an amount of dirty black, track colour and grey and then spread it along the surface with a clean sheet of kitchen roll.

3. Then pour lighter fluid or thinners onto this messy surface and wipe quickly to take the excess off, the more wipes, the less weathered it will look, but speed is important here.

4. If it looks too weathered, keep wiping! If it looks not weathered enough repeat steps 2 & 3.

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Now off sick - for at least 2 weeks with 'Stress Related Problems' according to my medical certificate - caused by driving anything between 750 and 1000 miles/week visiting clients all over South and South-East England and twice I've fallen asleep at the wheel, luckily with no damage done nor injuries to anyone else.

The law restricts the maximum hours that lorry and multi-drop drivers have to drive, but there is no such legislation for company car drivers and their employers are well aware of that!

Going to spend the next two (or more) weeks completing this, so watch this space!!

Cheers,

Dave

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 22 Oct 2008, 20:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The law restricts the maximum hours that lorry and multi-drop drivers have to drive, but there is no such legislation for company car drivers and their employers are well aware of that!

It's not alway's just the driving hours it's all the other hours that add up.

Take care during your time off.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Decided to have another de-stressing session in the garage:

Chose to hide the Hornby HM2000 controller (big brute that it is) within a building and the Peco Train Unit Shed is ideal for that purpose!
Part-built Peco shed on left, Walthers Fuelling Pad centre, Hornby HST shed on right. Stock on show is Bachmann Alaska RR GP40-2 and Spectrum US spec Plasser ballast tamper.

General view of Fuelling Pad with Alaska RR GP40-2 and nose of Central Vermont RS11.

Gone are the Walthers track bumpers and in place is the part-built Peco train unit shed with doors sealed closed. All that remains is the final positioning of the Peco shed, adding its roof and insert controller.

Then I'll be ready for my first showing next February!

Cheers,
Dave

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Aaaah - the joys of changing one's mind.

Looks good

Regards

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
This makes me want to do a small shunting yard in OO Dave with sound
as the powercab is spare now how big should it be ?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Got another medical certificate today to take me up to Tuesday 11th November, then back to work to face the music or I might tell where to put the job and inform them that the abusive letter will follow
So I am pretty serious about developing my own company and being my own boss.

After a friend reminded me that this life is for real, it is not a dress rehearsal and I know what she means.

Physio Project might make its public debut at the Ipswich Transport Museum model day sometime in March, so I can slow down a bit with this and get Routes End 2 repaired for sale.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Dave,
The project is coming on well
i am in the same boat as you after a fall on the 26th Oct and being sent home on crutches from A&E i went to the fracture clinic this morning only to find i have broken a bone in my foot so ''Morganth'' is on hold at the moment ......... the silver cloud may be a similar project to yours a venture away from N gauge .......... in HO with U.S. locos and a few rolling stock weathered up ....... i made a start last week chipping a Milwakee SD-40 complete with roof light i had under the bench bought last year after being attracted to the paint scheme.

Also since last week two Bachmann SD40's U.P / Norfolk & Southern ready fitted with DCC a Walthers two road engine shed and an intermountain hopper have arrived , the SD40's a bargain at £35 minus 20% each

How big it will be i'm not sure as space is limited here , the 6X2 board i have spare looks like it is to provide the baseboard cut down with the trusty jigsaw.

After seeing your track i am looking for ideas for a small similar layout end to end incorporating the double shed.

This is the effect i am aiming for with the weathering

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Hi Upnick,

Sorry to hear about your fall, and I wish you a speedy recovery. Your disadvantage is that you're not that mobile and will have to do a lot of your work seated.

Here's the original concept diagram to remind you:

and to help you get started, would you be interested in the fuel tank kit and loading/unloading gantry (all unmade) that is left over from my Walthers fuelling pad kit?

Please PM me with contact details if interested.

Good luck with your foot and your project and please keep us regularly informed on both!

Cheers,

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
The parts from the kits Pierremaster hadnt used arrived this morning
thanks Dave
and the shed from Walthers i have got the main structure done ... its huge compared to my usual N gauge
nice building as it is maybe the Pikestuff offering is more in keeping with the diesel point see what you think ...... the one i have is the left type brick built. Pikestuff on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hi Upnick,

Sorry I've only just seen your posting.

The two-road brick shed is actually either a Pola or Heljan one marketed in the USA by Walthers using their own packaging. The Pikestuff one is better for both American and modern British depots besides the Pikestuff one has an infinite choice of window and door openings, so you would be steroetyping someone else's layout either!!!

Keep us posted with your progress.

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
This layout will be making its public debut at the Harwich & District Railway Society Exhibition at the Park Pavillion, Barrack Lane, Dovercourt, Harwich, Essex on Saturday 21 February 2009.

With me being away in Philippines and Singapore departing UK on 25/12/08 and returning on 21.01/09, then starting new position on 26/01 with Balfour Beatty as Quality Auditor/Trainer on the London Blackfriars Station Redevelopment Project, I don't have a lot of time left to complete this...

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 16 Dec 2008, 15:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup - one of the most important words where modelling deadlines are concerned.

Still I feel sure you will finish it.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 17 Dec 2008, 17:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's also very handy if you can pass the blame onto someone else !
(I wonder who that could be ?)

I couldn't begin to imagine

Regards

·
Administrator
10,037 Posts
QUOTE I couldn't begin to imagine

I would spell it out for you, but Spirit of Christmas and all that prevents me.....

David

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.