Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it was about time I started this thread as I have been thinking about doing it for far too long! I wasn't sure at first if I should use my blog for this, but in the end decided a thread was better so you can all have a go at my poor modelling ability: lmfao:

First of all, I had constructed boards to build my layout in a spare room. However, sadly that plan had to be abandoned as the room was needed for something else. Here is a photo of some of the original boards covered in probably about a third of my stock, the last time I had it all out to photo for insurance purposes:

So with the spare room no longer spare, I had to look elsewhere. The decision was taken about this time last year to build a shed. Construction started last Easter and was finished towards the end of July 07. It is well insulated and the windows are double glazed. I have installed a temperature and humidity logging system which switches a small heater on if the temperature falls below 5oC inside. To date, only once has this happened which I find incredible particularly considering the climate in Northern Ireland. Humidity also hasn't been a problem. Here are some photographs taken during the construction:

My plan is to construct a 1930's LMS based layout. It will not be based on a particular location. There will also be a varied of LMS NCC stock operating so it really wouldn't be possible to model a real location! Plus, there will be a few items from outside the period, for example Deltic. If I like a loco, I'll buy it. Although over 90% of my "fleet" are LMS.

The photograph below shows the basic layout of the shed. The board to the right will contain a large locomotive depot, the board at the top will become my station and the board to the right will be a country scene. The board currently sitting in the middle of the room is my almost complete fiddle yard. It will eventually be located underneath the board on the left. I plan on using one or two of the boards from the abandoned layout to bring the right hand board into the room more.

The track laying and wiring of my ten track fiddle yard is now complete:

I have used this as a bit of an experiment as 4 of the 8 points are controlled by Peco point motors with insulfrog points and the other 4 with seep point motors and electrofrog points with frog switching. Over time I will see which half of the fiddle yard performs better. All but two of the point motors are mounted beneath the board with the extended pin protruding through the surface. The other two are mounted directly to the point. The problem I have currently is cutting the extended pins in situ as I have wrecked two sets of nippers trying to do this! I then used a small cutting disk on my dremel which although it cut the pin perfectly, I had to replace the point as the tie bar was melted by the heat generated!

All ten tracks have been individually wired so that I can use a MERG kit for occupancy detection. It is not fully working, just waiting for my control panel to be finished so I can mount the LED's. All 8 points are operated by MERG decoders currently controlled by my ECoS. I had planned on using the MERG encoder to control the points, but am going to wait and see how the new layout control bus (CBUS) develops before going any further with the electronics. THe next picture shows some of the electronics mounted on top of the board for now, the accessory decoders are mounted beneath it:

The end of the fiddle yard will comprise a cassette setup for swopping and turning locomotives. I have bought the aluminium angle for this, and cut the plywood bases to size. Once this is complete I will be able to mount the board in its proper position.

At the end of the left hand board that will contain my depot, I am going to construct a locomotive workshop using the marklin traverser from the previous thread. I am currently constructing the workshop building from a DPM kit. It can be seen on my workbench below and also the proposed track layout for the loco and carriage workshop area.

And finally, a have a somewhat unusual storage system for my layout. An old thread wrack from a long closed department store! I removed every other shelf to allow for the height. It works very well. Currently most of my stock is in storage so it is pretty empty:

Well thats it for a while as my final exams are in May I won't have too much time for the layout over the next two months.

Hope you enjoyed the photos,

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Shed looks great. Is it about 12ft by 6ft? Enviable amount of space.

I know that it's rather late to make this comment about the fiddle yard, but why did you have a curve after the first point and then a point of the same hand? Had you put the second point (of different hand) immediately after the first then you would have had the same length roads in shorter length or longer roads in the same length.

Cheers, Robert.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 30 Mar 2008, 14:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Shed looks great. Is it about 12ft by 6ft? Enviable amount of space.

I know that it's rather late to make this comment about the fiddle yard, but why did you have a curve after the first point and then a point of the same hand? Had you put the second point (of different hand) immediately after the first then you would have had the same length roads in shorter length or longer roads in the same length.

Cheers, Robert.

Oopse, forgot to mention the overall size! Its actually 19ft by 10ft

I also forgot to mention that there will be a continuous double track main line running right round the shed connecting the left and right hand boards together via a removable viaduct section. On the left hand board it will run the length of the yard but raised above it and come across between the end of the yard and the workshop. Must take the time to draw a track plan...

Re the fiddle yard, as I'm not pressed for space, I decided to go for the layout as is because at the time is seemed best as I managed to fit ten lines onto a board that's just 600mm wide. I also had to negotiate the cross members underneath. However, in hindsight I probably could have been more efficient with my point work!

Thanks,

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess thats human nature - we always think we want a bit more!

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I agree with roert about the pointwork in the fiddle yard. you have also created the problem of multiple reverse curves that some of your stock may not like. i would seriously concider relaying that before you go much further. you have all the points you need, you just have them all back to front. you would still be able to fit in 10 tracks and you would get rid of those little curves after each point.

Apart form that its looking good. i really wish i had a nice shed. of even a garden that i could equip with a shed!!

Peter

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 31 Mar 2008, 11:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I agree with roert about the pointwork in the fiddle yard. you have also created the problem of multiple reverse curves that some of your stock may not like. i would seriously concider relaying that before you go much further. you have all the points you need, you just have them all back to front. you would still be able to fit in 10 tracks and you would get rid of those little curves after each point.

Apart form that its looking good. i really wish i had a nice shed. of even a garden that i could equip with a shed!!

Peter

Yes the shed really is great. AS it happened my dad always fancied himself as a carpented but ended up as an accountant so jumped at the chance to help me build it in my back garden. He took a course and we built it together along with a family friend who is a professional builder/carpenter. Made the who;le process a lot more enjoyable!.

Re the fiddle yard, I wil go and have a look later tonight, clearly I have made an error of judgement here, just a case of whether or not the amont of work required to fix this is worth it or not.

Rob

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I'm jealous....

Seems that thing's are developing well.

Regards

·
Registered
92 Posts
nice sized shed!! i have been relegated to my grandmothers double garage..but thats only to build it in..after that all other items that need doing to it are in the nicely sized shed behing it...ours is 20ft long end to end 009

·
Registered
88 Posts
for my layout i am gonna need at least 4 sheds at 8 X 6 as my layout is a big one. Your shed is looking fine there! ya gonna have a nice size layout in there! you know ya gonna have to board out the inside of it to keep it from the damp.

have a look at my thread it has a link in it for you to see the pics!

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (fordy361 @ 6 Apr 2008, 20:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Love your shed, Is it a kit or freelance design.

Thanks, hopefully the layout will match it one day! Its freelance. The pictures should hopefully give a pretty good impression of how we went about it.

Rob

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (iankemp @ 7 Apr 2008, 02:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>for my layout i am gonna need at least 4 sheds at 8 X 6 as my layout is a big one. Your shed is looking fine there! ya gonna have a nice size layout in there! you know ya gonna have to board out the inside of it to keep it from the damp.

have a look at my thread it has a link in it for you to see the pics!

Hi thanks for the comments.

Why use four sheds? Surly its seasier and cheaper to build your own the size you need it? The shed is finished, all the pictures above where taken in it apart from the first one. Its been up for a year now (for various reasons I only actually moved my layout into it a few months ago though!) with no damp problems at all thankfully.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
rob,
love the shed,i am having a 16x6 constructed,i would welcome how you insulated and vented.in particular the roof space as i have had so much conflicting advice,
thanks
tom

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Tom.

The roof space was insulated using the same insulation used for the walls. Only the top of the ceiling was insulated, the Apex of the roof itself was not. It is vented by two very small vents, one at the top of each end.

I can't remember the grade of the insulation used. It was all looked after by my the friend of the family who is a builder by trade. THe shed has been completed for just over a year now. THe temperature has been very stable and there has been no damp problems. One thing that we did do differently to advice floating around on the internet was we didn't insulate the floor as apparently this is bad practise as there should always been an air gap to aid air flow and help to prevent damp. So far, so good!

Hope this helps,

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
rob,
thanks for the info,if possible could you do an idiots guide using a basic line drawing,
thank you
ps
did you put any damp course medium between the base and the floor?
again thanks
tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts