Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finaly got the good old brush and paints out of the cupboard to do some weathering.

I picked up 3 pieces from my rolling stock to experiment with. ( the cheap ones, in case I mess up.)

You just can't start off with a 200-300 euro loco. Maybe if I practice alot in the future.

I started with an old Lima coal Gondola :

Second was again a gondola Roco:

Before

and after:

third was a typical boxcar, Lima again:

hope I've done it right.

cheers

Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Very nice Baykal, it's amazing how a bit of grime changes that "plastic" look, they look pretty good to me.

Regards

John

·
Registered
101 Posts
They look right to me, too, Baykal! Pretty damn nice, in fact. Subtle and not overdone, which I like.

As someone who has yet to step fully into the weathering pond myself (beyond a couple of experiments), I'm curious to know if by "brush" you mean airbrush, or did you use ordinary brushes??

EDIT: For typos.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the positive remarks.This now encourages me to move on to my loco's.

I simply used my paint brushes (hard bristle type). No air brush.

Paints are mainly my pastel chalks.I ground them into powder by simply rubbing them on sand paper.

Before applying I brush the whole body with fine quality matte varnish.

Brush ends are all flat for ease of scrubbing.

If you have noticed I tried to make a couple of rust dent marks on my Lima coal gondola.
This was done by dropping tiny dropplets of cement on the body.Sprinkling on top of it the chalk rust color powder and pressing it with your thumb before it drys.

Cheers
Baykal

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 16 Apr 2007, 13:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you have noticed I tried to make a couple of rust dent marks on my Lima coal gondola.
This was done by dropping tiny dropplets of cement on the body.Sprinkling on top of it the chalk rust color powder and pressing it with your thumb before it drys.
Cheers
Baykal

never thought of that - I must give it a try.

Regards

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts