Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hi

Had a look at the website and it shows promise but has two major issues:-

1) The pictures are in need of serious jpeg compression. Even with broadband they take serious time to download and visitors are not going to wait the 5 minutes that you claim!

2) It is a complete turn off to take folk directly to a sponsor page and then after a few seconds a subsequent redirect. It simply puts visitors off completely as it hints of more spam to come. A banner on your home page is all that is needed and an invitation to visit the sponsor who supports the site.

It is an interesting home layout that you are developing and its a shame to spoil your enthusiasm for your layout with basic web design blunders.

Sorry be be blunt but I do feel it is only fair to advise MRF members of what to expect before they click on your link.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The other thing is that it might be a condition of the free hosting service that you are obliged to take the sponsorship in this form so it may be out of your control. There are hosts out there who offer free hosting services with less intrusive sponsorship and it might be an idea to move your site to one of these.

Good idea to register though.

Happy modelling
Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant be a member until i get my email account sorted out when i move house in 3 weeks
My website has got these adverts popping up since August after the site had 1000 hits, maybe i can switch web hoster [like bravenet, Geocities etc] or become a premium user @ freewebs [it can stop ads].
About the pictures, i am thinking about resizing them or just use my Fotopic site for the pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Fair comment. Thats the trouble with free hosting services. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you can switch then switch as the form of advertising with this host does seem a bit intrusive. Does not your Internet Service Provider allow you some space?

It might be an idea to put something on your homepage to say that you have no association with the sponsors and banners that pop up and that the free hosting service insist that you take this advertising. Its always frustrating when having put time in to create a website something happens thats outside your control.

Has anybody any recommedations for free hosting services?

Happy modelling
Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The address is: www.freewebs.com/stevensmodelworld/index.htm
The annoying ads are really bugging me now so i will have to shut down the freewebs site and find another website host. One question, do youb know of any free website host [if so can you give me the URL].
Cheers Steve

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The images on the fotopic site have been compressed and load almost in an instant.

Whats happened to the Virgin Class 06?

Its now owned by EWS.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have used this web hosting service for a couple of years and their advertising appears to be very discreet and related to what your site is about.
Have a look and see what you think.

Tripod

If you want to see the advertising in action then click on the link below for my web site.

Living The Dream

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Gary @ 14 Dec 2005, 20:48)Whats happened to the Virgin Class 06?

Its now owned by EWS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since Sevenacre Wood is set in South West London my Virgin 06 was not needed so i numbered it and applied two EWS logos, the picture of that model was just an edited photo to show people what it would look like [the model itself looks different from the pic.

Yeah i think i will use tripod for my website, thanks for that CeeDeeI.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts