Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Model Rail Forum roving reporters have just returned from the Nürnberg toy Fair where we viewed and tried some fantastic new Model Rail products.

Over the next few days I will be sorting through my photos and catalogues to bring you some of the best news from the show. Dennis is there now as well and he will be also reporting when he gets to an Internet connection, either in Germany or a few days later when he gets home to California.

·
DT
4,794 Posts

Hornby at Nürnberg

Regarding British models, there was nothing on show. Hornby International with it's continental offerings was represented instead.

Just a note about their DCC offering. Their message was to bring simplicity to DCC. 'Digital' is the way forward with a collection of easy to use and intuative products that do away with acronyms and complicated concepts. Their main aim is to bring the hundreds of thousands of railway modelers into the Digital arena wich will benifit the hobby as a whole.

Hornby showed it's new concept DCC controllers. They were even controlling a couple of locos with a pre-production model (below) that was made from cast resin. The controllers looked a little chunky, but were very apealing to the touch and they did look good.

I think that with the right marketing and agressive pricing, they are onto a winner with this range. Lets hope that it's out for Christmas and then in 2007 there will be an even bigger demand for Digital products for the following years.

I'm not sure exactly what was shown in London from the Electrotren, Jouef, Lima, Rivarossi and Arnold ranges, but in Nürnberg, there was a good display on show.

Hornby International Products.

I'm not sure how Electrotren fits into the Hornby International scheme. There is no Electrotren section on the Hornby web site and it is not mentioned in the Hornby International catalogue, but it was on show at the stand.

Rivarossi was on show with it's fantastic american Big Boy 4-8-8-4 and Allegheny 2-6-6-6 locos. Their well known quality is still there and I'm sure the locos will do really well.

Some other Rivarossi items.

HR 2020 limited edition train set (Italy) - Wooden presentation box, 1870's 0-4-0 FNM loco and 2 coaches.

HR 2028 Steam locomotive Class Gr.740 - FS (1911-1922) 2-4-0. DCC ready and lights.

HR 2018 Diesel locomotive Class D.245 - FS (1965-1969) FS colours (green/yellow). DCC ready and lights.

HR 2025 Diesel locomotive Class D.250 - FS (orange/yellow). DCC ready and lights.

HR 2024 Diesel Railcar Class Aln.668 - FS. One motorised coach and one dummy coach. DCC ready and lights.

HR 2023 Electric Locomotive Class E.646 - FS. DCC ready and lights. Cantenary pickup option.

HR 2026 Electric Locomotive Class E.428 - FS (I-series). Built 1934-1943 I-series (squared), II-series (semi aerodynamic) and III-series (aerodynamic). DCC ready and lights. Cantenary pickup option.

HR 2019 Electric Locomotive Class E.428 - FS (III-series). Lights and cantenary pickup option.

HR 2021 Electric Locomotive Class E.652 - FS. 1989-1996. Lights and cantenary pickup option.

HR 2022 Electric Locomotive Class E.645 - FS. DCC ready and lights. Cantenary pickup option.

HR 4017 2nd Class Passenger Autocoach - FS

HR 4018 1st Class 'middle distance' Passenger car - FS

HR 4019 2nd Class middle distance' Passenger car - FS

The other models are available on the Hornby International website.

The Arnold Brand is back

MORE TO COME...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE Dennis is there now as well and he will be also reporting when he gets to an Internet connection, either in Germany or a few days later when he gets home to California.

...or in Orlando when I return to work!

I arrived at the show on Monday morning and following Doug´s instructions picked up my press pass at the Ost Entrance. I started in the Model Eisenbahn section, through the electronic model section (slot cars) through the model construction and various toy sections before I passed out in exhaustion. After a quick IV (Pils) I was as good as new and able to continue on. Did I tell you this place is big. Some of the displays must reach into the millions and there is usually a section in the back where they kick the crap out of you if you don't sell enough of their products. Having a press pass gave me access to everything that was free.
Unlike most computer shows they made you pay for any catalog and there wasn't any free caps, shirts, or pens that I could find.... and I came 8,000 miles for this?
. I've taken a few pictures but as Doug remarked many products are behind glass and I'm too lazy to ask people to remove a model from it's case. I'll do the best I can to report back my impressions.

One company's products that did impress me were those from Micro Metakit which claim to make museum quality locomotives. It's a claim they easily fulfill. Some of the most beautiful locomotives I have ever seen, most in HO. Their subject matter is heavily Bavarian and other Landerbahn but you'll find French Locomotives as well. There is a large market of collectors in Germany that mostly display their models probably within their castles! For them it seems price is no object and Marklin might be too pedestrian. Would not be such a bad thing to be in your library sitting in your leather chair while your layout is operating, gazing at your display cases filled with locomotives... no that wouldn't be such a bad thing at all.
I'm planning to cut out early tomorrow and visit the DB Museum as well so with that and the NRM I should be able to post a picture or two.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slot Diversion.

Who likes cars and trains? Who would like to have slotcars on a train layout?

SlotCars in HO scale!!!

Check it out: Faller Go-Kart race track

'Sinuous' two-lane kart track. Hand controllers (thumb) allow you to get involved and do some racing.

Further vehicles are available and buildings are supplied to match.

The circuit is about 42cm x 30cm. It runs on 16V DC current. I do believe that the price was about 150 Euros for the whole thing.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I like the hornby take on dcc to simplify the terminology which is confusing to say the least. As with most computer geek stuff the peoplr who develop these things seem to derive an equally great pleasure in ensuring the jargon is in a language all of its own. The controllers do look good but i have to say i aren't a fan of the twiddly knob thing they use for a power regulator, my bachmann one is ok until you go back to a loco having adjusted the power to a different loco then as soon as you touch the dial the damn thing either slows to a crawl or shoots off like a startled hare.

Continental railways aren't my thing but as this is the biggie for the european markets i was wondering how it compares to the events held over here in terms of size and exhibits. I suppose as a toy fair as opposed to something like Warley there is a wider range of interests on show.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Not really easy to compare as this was strictly a trade show but according to their listing there were 108 exhibitors listed under model railroad and accessories. 95% were manufacturers of one kind or another and I understand there were a few distributors.

Now as far as exhibits there is no comparison unless you would like to compare a trading table to an actual booth made up to resemble a store with meeting rooms as some of the exhibits were quite extensive including an actual locomotive brought into the LGB booth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did Heljan announce their new releases for 2006 at Nurnberg? - I've not seen any news about their UK or European plans yet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Heljan announced their 2006 plans at the Warley Show - It goes along the lines of :

OO
~ IWS Cargowagons (About £25 - £30 each) - 2 in each livery (4 liveries, 1 of which is weathered)
~ Class 26 (About £79 each) - 2 in BR Green and 2 in BR Blue
~ Class 27 (About £79 each) - 1 in BR Green and 3 in BR Blue

Other hightlights are:
~ Motoroized turntable in N and HO (More continental, but looks good) (About £170)
~ DCC Container Crance - FULLY WORKING (To us lot thats £390!)

No clue on the european releases as i only have the UK brochure in front of me.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Have just posted some pictures from the fair. Hey I know it was a month ago but I have just now posted pictures from my trip to China in October.

If you're interested you can see them here ...

Will have more commentary next week. If you like to travel like me you may want to check out some more pictures on this site: A Long Desire

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Dennis for the link. Great photos indeed. You have me wrong about the scenery

Some incredible scenes. How about this one (refugees):

And this (double roundhouse):

Interesting how the Germans model. They quite often weather their locos and scenery, but they do so in an unrealistic way. They keep the weathering 'clean'. It still looks pristine and neat and sometimes toy-like. Sure there are exceptions, but this is the sort of thing that I'm getting at:

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 28 Mar 11:08)Interesting how the Germans model. They quite often weather their locos and scenery, but they do so in an unrealistic way. They keep the weathering 'clean'. It still looks pristine and neat and sometimes toy-like.
Don't forget that these are lay-outs from manufacturers. I think they don't care if it is totally realistic weathering. Probably it is even unwanted, as they would like to show their models. So they don't build an high-standard exhibition-lay-out, but a lay-out to show their products.

There are 'clean' weathered (exhibition)lay-outs in Germany, but i don't think that's a typically German thing.

QUOTE (Dennis David @ 29 Mar 2006, 14:21)Actually the Kato girl is more my style.

I totally agree. I will check if she is at the Lemke/Kato-stand next week at Intermodellbau in Dortmund

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Hi Dennis,

I really enjoyed the pictures of Nurnberg too. While I agree that this site is mainly British prototype, I think it benefits everybody that other areas are covered too as many people model British, American and Continental. I model all of these and am interested in all of them. I'm sure many others appreciate this info as we could not make it to the show ourselves. So thanks for posting the link to these pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Dennis, for goodness' sake don't stop the flow! I, for one, have very Catholic tastes and even if I don't model Continental outline I still keep an eager eye on what is happening in Europe and the US. The funny thing is that I remember voting for the De Glehn compound in Fleishmann's beauty contest and what do they release? The De Glehn!! I hear there are moves to repatriate the De Glehn compound on the Nene Valley - it'd be great to see that back on its old stamping grounds....

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I am considering going to the 2007 Nürnberg Fair but have a few questions first! How close to the city is the toy fair? IS there a good range of accommodation near by?

I appreciate that there is much more going on than model railways, but would the amount of railway stands be more or less than Warley?

Many thanks,

Rob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts