Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE Dennis is there now as well and he will be also reporting when he gets to an Internet connection, either in Germany or a few days later when he gets home to California.

...or in Orlando when I return to work!

I arrived at the show on Monday morning and following Doug´s instructions picked up my press pass at the Ost Entrance. I started in the Model Eisenbahn section, through the electronic model section (slot cars) through the model construction and various toy sections before I passed out in exhaustion. After a quick IV (Pils) I was as good as new and able to continue on. Did I tell you this place is big. Some of the displays must reach into the millions and there is usually a section in the back where they kick the crap out of you if you don't sell enough of their products. Having a press pass gave me access to everything that was free.
Unlike most computer shows they made you pay for any catalog and there wasn't any free caps, shirts, or pens that I could find.... and I came 8,000 miles for this?
. I've taken a few pictures but as Doug remarked many products are behind glass and I'm too lazy to ask people to remove a model from it's case. I'll do the best I can to report back my impressions.

One company's products that did impress me were those from Micro Metakit which claim to make museum quality locomotives. It's a claim they easily fulfill. Some of the most beautiful locomotives I have ever seen, most in HO. Their subject matter is heavily Bavarian and other Landerbahn but you'll find French Locomotives as well. There is a large market of collectors in Germany that mostly display their models probably within their castles! For them it seems price is no object and Marklin might be too pedestrian. Would not be such a bad thing to be in your library sitting in your leather chair while your layout is operating, gazing at your display cases filled with locomotives... no that wouldn't be such a bad thing at all.
I'm planning to cut out early tomorrow and visit the DB Museum as well so with that and the NRM I should be able to post a picture or two.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Not really easy to compare as this was strictly a trade show but according to their listing there were 108 exhibitors listed under model railroad and accessories. 95% were manufacturers of one kind or another and I understand there were a few distributors.

Now as far as exhibits there is no comparison unless you would like to compare a trading table to an actual booth made up to resemble a store with meeting rooms as some of the exhibits were quite extensive including an actual locomotive brought into the LGB booth.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Have just posted some pictures from the fair. Hey I know it was a month ago but I have just now posted pictures from my trip to China in October.

If you're interested you can see them here ...

Will have more commentary next week. If you like to travel like me you may want to check out some more pictures on this site: A Long Desire

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
There is nothing for sale actually at the show. It's used by the trade to show their wares and for retailers to place their yearly orders. Size wise I think Warley would disappear within the vastness of the Toy Fair but then again there is a lot more there than just model railroads. Go to their site if you want to learn more and don't forget to look at my report. It's a once in a lifetime experience.

2006 Toy Fair

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.