Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I've got an N gauge layout with a Dapol GWR 14xx 0-4-2 and a Graham Farish GWR Castle 4-6-0 "Powderham Castle". I would like to know whether or not I can convert them into DCC and if so which chips and controllers do I use? I think the 14xx is DCC converatble as there is info about it on the Dapol website but I don't know anything about the Castle. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The GF can be done, but you need to insulate the brush gear from the chassis block. There are commercial kits which have insulated brush gear components for GF chassis. A decent DCC retailer with N gauge experience should be able to offer a suitable selection of bits.

Neither loco is so small as to create fundamental problems in fitting a decoder.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (homingpigeon @ 21 Jan 2008, 18:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, I'm new to this forum and I've got an N gauge layout with a Dapol GWR 14xx 0-4-2 and a Graham Farish GWR Castle 4-6-0 "Powderham Castle". I would like to know whether or not I can convert them into DCC and if so which chips and controllers do I use? I think the 14xx is DCC converatble as there is info about it on the Dapol website but I don't know anything about the Castle. Can anyone help?

Hi homingpigeon,

I'm a newbie too but I can definitely confirm that it is possible to convert both of these locos to DCC. I was not confident enough to try it myself so I had them done by Digitrains. If you give Chris a call on 01526 328633 or drop him an e-mail on [email protected] I am sure he will be able to help. As I also bought my ESU Controller from Digitrains they installed compatible chips (I have had 12 locos done all together) which were mainly either TCS M1 s, CTelektronik DCX74 s or DCX74z s. The latter are very small and will even fit some Z Gauge locos.

Hope this helps.

Trevor aka Expat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts