Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello firstly i'm new to the forums so hello

I'm planning a new N gauge layout in a 9ft by 7ft area and was thinking about going DCC.

Most of my loco's will be farish steam engines and i know these are a pita to fit decoders to.

i've had a look through the forums but couldn't see anyone mention anything about a company or person who will fit N gauge dcc decoders.

I would have a go myself but i've not found a suitable guide as such and also it looks very tricky. If its going to cost a small fortune then i'll forget all about dcc however i'd like to explore this avenue before i dis-miss it altogether.

Its a shame non of the farish loco's are Dcc ready.

so does anyone provide the service? and if so do you know there contact details e-mail preferd.

Regards.

Nic.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I've had Tony's Train Exchange install decoders in the tender of steam locomotives and Diesel/Electric locomotives has go to be easier than that. With the decoder the price can be around $100 each. can't say I know anything about Farish locomotives though. Why don't they supply DCC versions? Minitrix and Fleischmann do ... sorry forget I asked that question.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
It all depends on the loco and the space available inside.

Remember that Arnold had a full range of N-gauge locos ready for DCC and their decoders were bigger that the Lenz Gold HO decoders. They just made sure that there was some space to fit them.

The Arnold decodes were also rated at 1.8amps so I have about 15 sitting in some of my HO locos.

If Farish locos are not DCC ready, you may find that no thought has gone into making space available for a decoder. You may have to install it in a coach or wagon pulled behind the loco.

·
Registered
827 Posts
QUOTE (narthur @ 12 Dec 2006, 01:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello firstly i'm new to the forums so hello

I'm planning a new N gauge layout in a 9ft by 7ft area and was thinking about going DCC.

Most of my loco's will be farish steam engines and i know these are a pita to fit decoders to.
Some at least are not half as bad as some people would have you believe.

The 4MT for instance, requires only a plasticard shim between the chassis and the pickups and a clearance hole drilling in one pickup. There are photos and instructions in the files area of the DCCUK Yahoo group. This was certainly easier than the first Farish diesel I did.

I assume at least some of the others are similar if not the same.

Andrew Crosland

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies.. so i guess the next question is where do i go from here?

I've a farish Duchess class and castle class that i'm willing to attempt to fit a decoder I guess all i need is a bit of guidance .. step by step would be prefered, oh and some ideas of which decoders to fit. I live in the uk so anything readily available here would be better.

I'll check out the DCCUK yahoo group and see if they have a guide however its amazing that with so many N guage people out there that i can't find more on the subject or anyone who provides the service.

Regards.

Nic

·
DT
4,794 Posts
You need to open up the loco and see what space you have.

See where you decoder would fit. If you have little space, perhaps then get a smaller decoder.

Look at our reviews section. See how we have installed decoders into other locomotives.

- For the non DCC ready locos, you have to find the wires or terminals that connect to the track. Connect the red and black decoder wires to the wheel pickups.

- You then have to find the wires or terminals on the motor. Make sure that the motor is isolated from the chassis or any other metal bits. Connect the orange and grey decoder wires to the motor terminals.

- Connect the white and yellow decoder wires to the front and back lights (if you have them) and use the blue decoder wire as the common return for them.

- If the loco runs in reverse and you expect it to go forwards, switch around the orange and grey motor wires.

- Configure your decoder with the loco number and you're set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 12 Dec 2006, 14:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You need to open up the loco and see what space you have.

See where you decoder would fit. If you have little space, perhaps then get a smaller decoder.

Look at our reviews section. See how we have installed decoders into other locomotives.

- For the non DCC ready locos, you have to find the wires or terminals that connect to the track. Connect the red and black decoder wires to the wheel pickups.

- You then have to find the wires or terminals on the motor. Make sure that the motor is isolated from the chassis or any other metal bits. Connect the orange and grey decoder wires to the motor terminals.

- Connect the white and yellow decoder wires to the front and back lights (if you have them) and use the blue decoder wire as the common return for them.

- If the loco runs in reverse and you expect it to go forwards, switch around the orange and grey motor wires.

- Configure your decoder with the loco number and you're set.

THanks doug very helpful i'll have a go and see what i can come up with.. most of my engines have tenders so maybe i can locate the chip there but we'll see.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am in the process of setting up a DCC controlled N gauge layout myself. Although not on the scale of yours unfortunately

Galaxy models will supply Farrish locos with decoders fitted for the price of the decoder and a fitting kit if needed.

Digitrains will fit decoders for I think sixteen pounds plus the cost of the decoder. They did a thoroughly excellent job on a Dapol 14XX and a 45 XX that I sent them.

Both of these firms have given me excellent service and I would highly recommend either. There is another firm advertising in the magazines and on the internet that they will fit decoders. Unfortunately as it looks like I am going to have to resort to criminal proceedings against them I will refrain from mentioning their name here but will happily advise you of it and the reason for my dissatisfaction if you wish to PM me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am in the process of fitting my entire N gauge fleet with decoders. I have so far only tackled diesels, Grafar 33 (old chassis), Grafar 47/57/37 new chassis, grafar HST new chassis, grafar 66 DCC ready.

I am yet to tackle the steamers!

Took me a while to pluck up the courage to dismantle the grafar split chassis and modifying the casing around the motor contacts, but once I had done it I felt much better. Takes me about an hour a loco. The hornby decoder has been used to fit in all the above. However, even this is not small enough for perhaps some of the locos (without major hacking of the chassis to make room inside the body).

Once I have had a bash at my steam fleet I'll let you know how I got on.

PS Just looked at my Dapol 73 and 66 - hmmm, I might leave these until later

·
Registered
47 Posts
After six frustrating weeks and numerous unanswered messages left on an answer machine, plus emails, and a recorded delivery letter I have finally managed to get my two locomotives returned from DCC Supplies.

Despite having my locos all that time they had not even unwrapped them from my original packaging let alone fitted the decoders that were supposed to be fitted within ten days back in November. Says it all about this particular firm I think.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
DCC Supplies were at the Warley show running a demo of the new Ecos console. The guys on the stand were very friendly. Sometimes companies do have IT issues (I have myself in the last 4 months and it is very hard to make this seamless when it happens and the resulting work arounds did put my business back about 4 weeks). Why not contact them directly on 01299 896198 and see what they say?

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts