Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking at going digital on an N gauge layout that I have in planning at the moment, and would like to have lights in my coaches. I don't particularly want to drill through my coaches to link them together, as they will have to be uncoupled a lot for storage etc, so I am going down the route of a decoder per coach with each rake in an MU or consist setup so that each coach in the rake responds to the same MU decoder address, rather than switching on coach lights individually.
I will most likely be using a Lenz 100 system.

The problem is that there doesn't appear to be a cheap decoder around that is suitable for N Gauge, providing lighting only. I have looked at the TCS FL decoder, but that is specified as HO only, and seems to be a little too wide for N Gauge coaching stock. It appears that I will therefore have to use a locomotive decoder, but used for function only, which seems to be a bit over the top.

Can anyone recommend a cheap, small decoder that can be used for coach lighting? I don't need an all singing/dancing decoder; only one or two functions at the most, just to provide coach lighting, and headlights/tail lights on DMU's where necessary.

Thanks in advance
Martin

·
Registered
205 Posts
You don't have to use a decoder for lighting, try the circuit below, it's considerably cheaper than a decoder! The only advantage a decoder has over this circuit is the ability to turn the lights off/on, where as they are always on with this circuit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts