Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys as you know I am recuperating from surgery so the shed is a no go area. What I am thinking of doing is to detail at least 1 end of my Farish and Dapol locomotives with the accessories including airpipes hooks and the other bits that come with each loco.

What I am wanting to know is what kind of paint is best to paint the ends of the pipes like they are real real life, i.e. red and yellow ends on the pipes. I know that using humbrol enamel paints won't work as they are either too thick or thin what would people suggest to make my locos look right. what can I use to make the joints look right in colour.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Harkins,

Have you considered acrylics - they can be thinned down with water and I have found that they flow much easier.

Regards

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Britho,

no I hadn't considered acrylics.

I have uploaded what my attempts of trying to paint an orange jacket onto my small figures. the paint was thoroughly mixed and again it was humbrol enamel but it didn't come out as expected. The colour on top of the blue was supposed to be a neon orange for the high res vest. As you can see it didn't come out how I wanted it. This was my 3rd try with it.

With acrylics is that like the kind of paints that artists use on canvases? If so I have some of them and I will give em a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (ben100 @ 2 Jun 2008, 18:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Acrylics are what artists use but model ones are slightly different to art ones.
Ben

Ok thanks for clearing that up ben. I think I will try what I have so far in acrylics and let you know how I get on. As you will appreciate the parts are very small so I will try and do the best I can.

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 2 Jun 2008, 18:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..................I have uploaded what my attempts of trying to paint an orange jacket onto my small figures. the paint was thoroughly mixed and again it was humbrol enamel but it didn't come out as expected. The colour on top of the blue was supposed to be a neon orange for the high res vest. As you can see it didn't come out how I wanted it. This was my 3rd try with it.........................

It's a long time since I dabbled with neon/fluorescent type paints but don't you normally need to use a special light coloured undercoat?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Acrylics are much easier to clean up if you have a spillage, but because they are water based the first coat on some plastics may not take fully. Also light colours may need an undercoat to go on top of dark colours.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would using artists oil paints be ok as they are thicker and come out like kids poster paints and I do have a few spare tubes of the stuff lying around which are doing nothing special. I've had a look and I have the right colours for the ends of the pipes. i.e. yellow and red. I know it will take a little longer to dry but they will give me a good bright colour for the pipes and it also means I don't need to go and buy paints that I will only really need a few drops off to do all the locos I am wanting to do.

I mean I am strapped at the moment with being off work and now being on half pay so I am trying to find cheap and easy ways of getting round problems without having to spend money that I don't have.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi

Not surprising that you are having trouble getting the orange to cover - both orange and yellow are "weak" colours and often need a light base coat to get the best coverage. I had the same problem when painting the road workers on St Laurent - it took about three coats! (and I'm still not that happy with a couple of them)

On the subject of the red you need: See if SWMBO has any red nail varnish - it may do the job.

Keep up the good work

Regards

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that Britho I didn't think of that the only thing I can think would be a problem is that swmbo might think I want it for another reason...lol.

I've tried the oils on my mainline class 60 pipes and although it will take a while to set it should look ok although not as neat as doing them in OO due to the size of em. I will take some pics of my first attempt so far once they have dried a little. I know they aren't perfect but it does look more prototypical than just basic black plastic. I just need to work out now how to put the snowploughs on now and also be able to have the nem coupling. The actual snowploughs are that small an fiddly that I cannot work out how to make such fine cuts without warping it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok here is my first attempt at doing the pipes. I needed to slightly open the holes with an ultra small drill bit so that the pipes would fit in and I know that there is some paint on the snowplough area but once the glue has dried on it I will be going over the snowplough with a damp bud so that I can remove the overspill of the oil paint.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/uploa...1_60_102570.jpg

As I say remember this is N gauge and it is ultra fiddly and small and my experiance is still novice but I'll still have a go at something at least once.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Looks OK to me mate!

Regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts