Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

A few people have ask that i post up the pics as i build an N gauge Stroudley Terrier as no one seems to make one. So here goes.........

Making a start - I cut out the basic footplate shape.

Two cut out cab sides and matched all parts to the plan. Here you can also see the tiny motor i am going to use.

Cab Sides , back and front put together.

adding the back of the coal store on - here i used a larger sheet of plastic heat shaped to fit then when glue was dry cut and filed it to fit.

Added the corner posts to strengthen the back of the cab section.

fitting the cab to the footplate.

Roof and Bar across back of the coal store added. Hand rails cut and fitted.
The roof though simple still requires 6 pieces cut for it.

Close up on handrails before side is filed and sanded.

Boiler added made from one of my old Lipliner pen tubes. - This is the perfect size for this
boiler and being made from plastic as well is very easy to work with and fit into place. The chimney end was made from a brass locating pip for O gauge wagon wheels and the chimney itself was carved from a single piece of plastic.

First parts of the tanks added. This is a tricky section to get right and involves a lot of trail and error to get the shape right.

tanks fitted and boiler band added.

Dome made by forcing hot plastic sheet over wooden former - all other metal fittings made by hand at this point. The pipe to the top of the dome is made from a staple that has been filed down to as round as was possible.

So far - Unpainted and still to have some little bits carefully filed flat, essentially this is the top for the Stroudley Terrier.

I will post the chassis as soon as i have started it but i am still working out the best way to make it . This is one of five i will be building over the next few months. Each one takes me on average about 14 hours to build which may seem a long time but now i have made the first one this will be greatly decreased.

Nikki

·
Registered
268 Posts
Very nice work, especially considering the scale. However, may I point out that the "pipe to the top of the dome" is in fact part of the spring balance safety valve and there should be two of them, parallel and not splayed as some people have modelled them.
I look forward to seeing how you manage the chassis, tight enough in 4mm as it is. I assume it is going to be DCC Fitted with sound

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Nick Holliday @ 9 Apr 2008, 07:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice work, especially considering the scale. However, may I point out that the "pipe to the top of the dome" is in fact part of the spring balance safety valve and there should be two of them, parallel and not splayed as some people have modelled them.
I look forward to seeing how you manage the chassis, tight enough in 4mm as it is. I assume it is going to be DCC Fitted with sound

Yep i noticed the other day that there should be two bits off the dome - I also noticed that there should be a long pipe from the front of the locomotive to the back that i forgot to add !! still once ive changed them that should be okay!! I have made allowances to fit a really small DCC Chip but i think sound will be impossible !! I have had a few little problems with the chassis design but i think i might have managed to iron them out now!!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Nice work Nikki! I cut my teeth on Terriers in my early preservation days and have a very soft spot for them. I see you are modelling the A1 version - what period is your layout? You really need to have photos of the prototype to hand because there were so many detail variations between members of the class!

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 9 Apr 2008, 18:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yep i noticed the other day that there should be two bits off the dome - I also noticed that there should be a long pipe from the front of the locomotive to the back that i forgot to add !! still once ive changed them that should be okay!! I have made allowances to fit a really small DCC Chip but i think sound will be impossible !! I have had a few little problems with the chassis design but i think i might have managed to iron them out now!!

***Lovely stuff Nikki - you've done the most important thing and captured the charachter of the loco, and that is no easy thing to do "from the flat sheet".

With your skills you should also perhaps try the same process in 5 and 10 thou brass - given your excellent ability in styrene, with very little extra effort I think you'd be OK with brass and a soldering iron, and it'll let you refine the parts thickness a little, creating a masterpiece indeed.

I look forward to seeing more as the project progresses.

Richard

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brass does sound like a good idea - having never worked with it before i will probably have to practice that for a quite a while!! Thankyou so much for your comments they really mean a lot to me. I am also wondering if anyone would have some drawings of the leader as i would like to build that next in N gauge but information on it is very very hard to find. My layout is to be southern and set about 1960 - 1965 and will be Newhaven ( east Sussex ) town station , swing bridge and harbour ( with all the engine sheds etc ). I am building that with my Husband as it is such a big project!! We are at the second part of the planning stage at the moment and he is about to start building the base board so i can start to lay out the track etc and get the basic scenery forms laid down. Still got a lot of locomotives to build as we also need an SR E1 , E4 and some 1960s Passenger electric stock ( making the third rail section scares me a little ). I will post pictures on here as we build it. We are also holding a Model Railway Exhibition in October and hope it will be there even if its only part finished!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you mean 36001 Leader, the abandoned Bulleid disaster engine, then yes! From Wikipedia:

HERE

Very good article on there and that drawing is in the public domain so should be available at better resolution elsewhere with a bit of searching.... perhaps an e-mail to the NRM would get more info??

·
Registered
59 Posts
More for you! Just found an article about a gu called Kevan Ayling who has built a 5" guage version of the Leader and has the drawings! Article here as well as another on the same site about the original locos:

ClickyThingy

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankyou Screwy for all your searching for me !!! They are very interesting websites and im definately wanting to make one!! rounding the sides looks like it might be a little difficyult without warping the plastic - might be a good idea to start working in brass now !!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Looks great. Your pictures are also very helpful in giving me ideas on how to start building the little loco I need to build.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thankyou - if you need any help on building it please feel free to email me and i will help all i can - i also have a vast library of drawings , plans and photographs from most of the UK railways right back to broad gauge up to modern image. ( An awful lot of SR, LBSCR, KESR and GWR)

Nikki

·
Registered
415 Posts
All I can say is wow, that is one hell of a nice job you have done there i build locos, scratch and not so scratch built out of plasticard but thats in OO, and that terrier in N gauge you have built is something else! Great stuff and well done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts