Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Hello Harkins,

There is also the Kato 'vacuum cleaner' wagon and spinning cleaning wheel wagon, which being Japanese must work perfectly or someone in QA would have committed suicide? It is also possible to fit locomotive decoders to these wagons and control the cleaning wheel speed or suction with the motor output!

I would also recommend using a cleaning agent in addition to a cloth around a block of wood under a wagon instead of just relying on abrasion which will create a 'patina' (like on expensive cutlery when you use it and the scratches are rebranded as a selling point!) on the rail surface which will trap more dirt.

It is possible to build up an entire train of cleaning wagons whose combined power must be enough for anything!

e.g. on the PPB each wagon in the train has a cleaning function:

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE Did you mean the Tomix vacuum cleaner wagon goedel?
Whoops!
Yes, that is the one!

It\'s available from Japan for only £20 plus postage according to ebay! Cleaning discs are changeable and comes with 1x vacuum fan disc, 3x dry-type disc and 3x moist-type disc (vacuum fan disc is attached to the car). So to operate cleaning and sucking at same time one would need two of them, but would be more effective?

Anyway, the picture I embedded above doesn't allow it, so just follow this link to see what I mean about a whole cleaning train!

http://www.ppb-modellbahn.ch/images/rollma...inigungszug.jpg (Follow the link, if you get an error message then just press ENTER with cursor at the end of the web address in the address bar and it will appear. The lengths some people go to stop linking of their website's information is bizarre, like disabling right click etc.; - it's all pointless and there is always a simple way around...whether getting the image address from the html source code (go to Page > View Source in IE7) or just copying the image from your Temporary Internet Files directory (and stupid microsoft try to hide this folder too! Why?!) Just navigate to here...

C:\Documents and Settings\######\Local Settings

where ##### is your user/computer name and add "\Temporary Internet Files" to the address and behold the contents of your internet cache including all those images people don't want you to save a copy of for some reason!

If you don't want people to have a copy of your file then don't put it on the internet!! Simple.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 8 May 2008, 18:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Right ok guys I have taken the plunge and bought myself one of the tomix variants which is the atlas maintenance of way track cleaning wagon ( it is basically the same as the Tomix one apart from it being orange in colour).

It looks exactly the same but what I want to know is that the dcc conversion plate they sell for around £9.00 is that plate going to fit the cleaner itself seeing as on the bottom of the cleaner unit it has Atlas/Tomix written on the bottom so it is a case of the 2 units are basically the same there for the plug in chip board will also fit the Atlas unit as it does on the tomix unit.

Any help is always welcome.
I think it will be exactly the same but for the colour of the bodyshell / name on the side. I guess Americans want to buy nominally American 'Atlas' and Europeans prefer nominally Japanese 'Kato' but I wonder where it's actually made? China!? Perhaps take the cover off and check to see it is looks like it is set up for a 'circuit board swap' before ordering?

I'm sure I've seen a review of somone installing a decoder with wires and not using a conversion plate but I can't think where! Anyway a full blown locomotive decoder (accessory decoders only provide small outputs for lights) would be far more expensive than £9 so the conversion plate sounds a good idea to me!

Do let us know how you get on with it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.