Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys since I have been off on the sick I have not had much chance to run my locos due to the inclement weather and the pain I have been in (thanks to you all for the support).

The one thing I found when I went into the shed was that the track has got grim,dirt and the locos run very poorly on dcc. I am limited as to how far I can reach on my layout and was wondering if there is anything I can run on my layout that would clean the track but also not have any problems with the dcc system.

I have tried making a wagon with some kind of pad underneath it to clean the track in the past and it hasn't worked mainly due to the fact that I cannot get a lot of weight into the wagon to be able to put any pressure on the rails to make any difference.

I know the relco/gaugemaster high frequency track cleaners won't work on dcc so is there anything else I can do or is it a case of getting someone to rig up some pulleys so I can be lifted over the inaccessable areas of the track (i.e. Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So just out of curiosity then will that tomix and others with the same design will they work on a dcc track as I am seriusly tempted at that price.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right ok guys I have taken the plunge and bought myself one of the tomix variants which is the atlas maintenance of way track cleaning wagon ( it is basically the same as the Tomix one apart from it being orange in colour).

It looks exactly the same but what I want to know is that the dcc conversion plate they sell for around £9.00 is that plate going to fit the cleaner itself seeing as on the bottom of the cleaner unit it has Atlas/Tomix written on the bottom so it is a case of the 2 units are basically the same there for the plug in chip board will also fit the Atlas unit as it does on the tomix unit.

Any help is always welcome.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for that poliss I had seen that link before and it confused me a little. I have seen the board that is on the dapol site in which there is no need to do all that wiring as when the 6 pin chip is plugged into the board all the wiring of it will effectivly be done for me.

The only thing I have been told is that if I go for the dapol option I am going to have to bend the pins on the chip to a 90 degree angle so that it won't fowl the body when put back together. The way of being able to bend the pins though is my main concern as I don't want to break the chip or splay the pins out and risk damaging the chip before i even get the unit put back together.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I must admit it is a shame they did't have all the parts when they released the how to do it instructions as it would have been helpfull for them to explain how to bend the pins. But yes poliss you are right and I am going to phone Dapol on Monday as I phoned today and they said Dave the man in the know is off now until then as he worked last weekend.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well with help from Upnick I have followed his insrtructions on how he has wired his tomix track cleaner and I am glad to say that it has also worked with the Atlas track cleaner as well. Not only that I have also changed the speed steps as well to 128 so the revving of the motor upto the required speed is easy to get upto speed so that it doesn't give me a banging headache with the high pitched whine at full tilt.

I ended up using a lenz mini silver (wired version) in it and there was no need to cut the board in order to make the chip fit snuggly so that the roof of the unit fits like a glove.

The one thing I did find that at first the hoover attachment was struggling to move but once coaxed to move once it has since been ok from starting up so the little fiddling I did with it seems to have worked without impeding the tracks or points.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.