Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 27 Mar 2008, 19:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So just out of curiosity then will that tomix and others with the same design will they work on a dcc track as I am seriusly tempted at that price.

The instructions say it should not be used with DCC but I tried it and it seemed to work fine, though obviously no control over motor speed. There is a bridge rectifier on the circuit board so the motor works on AC (but I presume its main purpose is to ensure it runs the same way on DC whatever the polarity).

It is quite a bit higher than other British N gauge stock so may not be able to go under bridges or tunnels where it is most needed.

I fitted a cheap decoder (Digitrax DZ123) by modifying the PCB and removing part of the interior weight to put the decoder at the end of the vehicle nearest the motor. I also got rid of the selector switch on the roof, which shaves a mm or so off the height. Since then I found out about the adaptor board which uses a similar decoder position, but needs a 6-pin decoder which tend to be the more sophisticated and costly models.

Incidentally there is also an Atlas track cleaner, which I haven't seen in the flesh but appears to be the same item with different colour and branding. No UK stockists though as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 28 Mar 2008, 06:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just out of interest, how much taller than standard N gauge height is it ???

I just knew somebody would ask that. I think it was pretty much exact scale OHLE height which would make it around 32mm but I'll check it when I'm back at home and post again if this is wrong, unless someone else beats me to it. That's a total height not an excess over standard!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I haven't seen these Dapol instructions before, hopefully they will post a new set when they get a DCC ready board to photograph as using the old one is a bit confusing. However with the cost of the extra board and the hassle/risk of bending the pins, if I had to do another one I'd be tempted just to forget the special board and just hard-wire the decoder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.