Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the voltage from the ECoS is a little high for n-scale and that there is a voucher for exchange in Germany for a lower voltage unit.
Has anybody had the experience?

If so, how long does it take?
Does the unit provide A/C or D/C?
If D/C is the PSU a standard unit similar to a laptop or other PSU and so can a suitable alternative be used, even in a different form?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Donone @ 2 Oct 2008, 23:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I understand that the voltage from the ECoS is a little high for n-scale and that there is a voucher for exchange in Germany for a lower voltage unit.
Has anybody had the experience?

If so, how long does it take?
Does the unit provide A/C or D/C?
If D/C is the PSU a standard unit similar to a laptop or other PSU and so can a suitable alternative be used, even in a different form?

***A 15v laptop power supply will work fine, as will a couple of opposed diode strings between PSU and ECOS to lower the input voltage - a dozen low cost diodes are far less expensive than post cost for returning the Power supply too!

Richard

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Donone and welcome to the MRF.

I'll vouch for Richard's advice.

He gave me the same advice when I was facing the same dilema and I bought a universal laptop power supply which has variable output voltage of between 12v and 24v. I found the 15v setting to be ideal for N Gauge.

Richard also advised that the replacement ESU power supply is still a little high for N Gauge.

Cheers,

Expat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for that and the welcome Expat, I expect to spend much time here. I need all the advice I can get, it's free, it's good, it's from experience, what more could one want?
Do Richard's trains fall of the track?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well actually Expat I just felt a wave of stupidity come over me; in the northern hemisphere everything is the 'right' way up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts