Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of ordering some Fox nameplates for BR locos and was wondering what is the correct nameplate for the period depicted by the loco. Fox list etched nameplates with either a red or black background, What would be the correct background for the two BR totems ie the the "Cycling Lion" and the "Dart Board" or were the colour backgrounds a regional taste.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
Charles,

Both totems were applied direct to the body colour paintwork. For the vast majority of the loco stock that paintwork was black. The usual alternative was BR's middle chrome green mainly used for express classes, although BR(WR) eventually began applying it to every loco they could. The 'cycling lion' was also found on class 8 express power when that bore the short lived blue livery very early in BR's existence, and the 'ferret and dartboard' on maroon painted BR(LMR) class 8 power. There were other exceptions, BR(ER) for example had some station pilot duty allocated small shunters turned out in pre-grouping liveries, but these were rarities.

As for nameplate background colour, BR standard was officially black from inception in 1948. Coloured backgrounds never completely went away judging by what photographic record is available, and subsequently crept back on many classes. Although red was the usual alternative, BoB pacifics had RAF blue. Personally I would go with the attitude that if you feel it enhances the loco, go for it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 34C. I'll most likely order a few with black backgrounds and go with that.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (34C @ 18 Mar 2009, 19:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Charles,

Both totems were applied direct to the body colour paintwork. For the vast majority of the loco stock that paintwork was black. The usual alternative was BR's middle chrome green mainly used for express classes, although BR(WR) eventually began applying it to every loco they could. The 'cycling lion' was also found on class 8 express power when that bore the short lived blue livery very early in BR's existence, and the 'ferret and dartboard' on maroon painted BR(LMR) class 8 power. There were other exceptions, BR(ER) for example had some station pilot duty allocated small shunters turned out in pre-grouping liveries, but these were rarities.

As for nameplate background colour, BR standard was officially black from inception in 1948. Coloured backgrounds never completely went away judging by what photographic record is available, and subsequently crept back on many classes. Although red was the usual alternative, BoB pacifics had RAF blue. Personally I would go with the attitude that if you feel it enhances the loco, go for it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Charles the nameplates of BR mixed traffic black liveried loco's were red, and black was for the green liveried ones. At nationalisation after experimental liveries were sorted out the top link loco's were green and the secondary express loco's i.e. GW halls,manors etc were black. It depends on which emblem you are going to use as all named loco's were green with the later emblem.
Regards bizerba

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
Bizerba,

Sorry, but some of that is simply not universally true on BR.

There were black named mixed traffic locos running on BR with the later emblem, and the nameplate background in black. The named Thompson B1s being a prime example, and I suspect the named Stanier black 5s as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts