Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi

I have been fitting directional lighting to some of my diesels for DCC, have managed to do 2 (one in a Hornby Hymek the other in a Hornby Class 25), Tried the third (a Lima Class 33), and have got no lighting! I have wired the same as the others except I added an extra LED on each function - but this shouldn't be a problem - I wouldn't have thought (i.e 1 white and 2 red at each end). I then went back to basics and tried to wire just one in - no luck. I then tried to wire it onto each of the other function outputs and still nothing. I have tested the LEDs and they all work independently of the Loco. (they all have resistors on long leg etc.). I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was a decoder problem (loco runs fine) or what else it could be? Could it be the blue common wire that is the problem?

The decoders are all the same - 4 function output NCE D13SRJ.

I have set up as they say in the manual: "If you use LEDs we recommend a 1K ohm 1/4 Watt series resistor in each function lead"

Thanks

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Locoman1 @ 13 Feb 2008, 03:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi

I have been fitting directional lighting to some of my diesels for DCC, have managed to do 2 (one in a Hornby Hymek the other in a Hornby Class 25), Tried the third (a Lima Class 33), and have got no lighting! I have wired the same as the others except I added an extra LED on each function - but this shouldn't be a problem - I wouldn't have thought (i.e 1 white and 2 red at each end). I then went back to basics and tried to wire just one in - no luck. I then tried to wire it onto each of the other function outputs and still nothing. I have tested the LEDs and they all work independently of the Loco. (they all have resistors on long leg etc.). I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was a decoder problem (loco runs fine) or what else it could be? Could it be the blue common wire that is the problem?

The decoders are all the same - 4 function output NCE D13SRJ.

I have set up as they say in the manual: "If you use LEDs we recommend a 1K ohm 1/4 Watt series resistor in each function lead"

Thanks

***Three possibilities: Forgive the fact that a couple are pretty basic.
(a) Have you used the appropriate function key to turn them on?
(
The Blue wire is the Positive wire - have you wired the LED's with positive to Blue (Long leg to Blue)?
© have you wired them in series (daisychain) instead of parallel (all short legs to one function wire, all long legs to blue).

One more thing you can do: Do a hard decoder reset (factory reset) as per NCE instructions then try again.

You ask if the Blue wire can be at fault: Unlikely that its the wire so to speak - if there is a decoder fault that affects the blue wire it will affect PCB components related to all functions.

But... you can check anyway - wire one side (short legs of LED) to the function wire and test by putting the other side of the LED circuit to track power - this will give half wave power but as it eliminates the Blue, it will at least tell you if the blue wire has a break in it.

Next step - try another decoder.

Richard
DCCconcepts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts