Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 17 Jan 2008, 13:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No it's clear, it's the same on mine even when I use the Smart Booster.
It's very easy to prove, just have ONE loco on the track turn the lights and or sound on and just leave it sitting there.
Now instead of using the recall button you just press SELECT LOCO and re enter the loco address above...which is what you would need to do if this was sitting in a siding and you were controlling 2 other locos.

As soon as you enter the address and press enter all of the functions to that loco will turn off, if it was running it would stop as well.

This is nothing to do with the decoders or the power requirement, the loco with sound is drawing less than 0.20amps it happens on ALL of my decoders.
This is a limitation in the PowerCab, the recall stack saves all of the information speed, direction and which functions are on or off.
If you need to reselect the address without using the recall button then the above will happen.

I still have the old firmware chip so I will fit that back in and try again as I'm sure that with the old version if you did use the SELECT LOCO button then the loco wouldn't stop, not sure if functions stay on or not as I din't have any functions on my locos at that time.

HTH

Ian - can you let me know how you get on with the old firmware chip before I put my Powercab on Ebay? (Have just ordered a Dynamis which doesnt have this annoying "all functions off when you select a loco whether you like it or not" facility!!) I concur with you that its NOT the decoders or the power draw - with 4 locos all with lights on and one with sound on I am still only registering 0.5 amps max and the problem is there with all my decoders too: NCE, Bachmann, TCS and LokSound - seems most odd (and very frustrating) given that there are several entry level systems out there that do not have this rather fundamental issue - the Dynamis being one of them.

Have e-mailed NCE several times regarding this, but no joy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 17 Jan 2008, 13:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***No, all compliant systems are equally compliant.
Compliance simply indicates ability to act and react properly irrespective of brand.

Operating features beyond those mandated in the NMRA standards are totally at the choice of the manufacturer.

Its a real problem I do understand, but there will always be some compromises in a starter priced system. NCE chooses to give far more than most in the areas of programming and direct control...

Having said that, the way to get anything like this changed is to write a polite letter to the Mfr. NCE releases regular software upgrades and if you see this as a disadvantage then you should explain why and also explain what you'd like to see to them. You might just be surprised how receptive they are to positive suggestions.

If you'd prefer, then call them direct - Its always a better idea anyway: Larry is the Service manager and troubleshooter, Jim scorse is the No1 man and he is also happy to talk.

Having said all that:

(1) have you checked whether the sound decoders/anything from esu (not sure about all brands, but some others also have this choice in the software) have functions set as persistent?
(2) have U considered just the smart booster addition - this is quite well priced and will increase the stack to the level you want. It will also give you useful added power & full walkaround ability so it has other advantages too....

Food for thought - this is genuinely the first time I've seen this comment re the lighting & powercab and I've been selling powercab since it was released..... so its certainly not an issue many are seeing...

However, I have more arriving soon and I will try to both reproduce your problem and see if I can find a resolution when they arrive. I can tell you now that any "limits" of PowerCab disappear when the PowerCab is plugged into the PowerPro base station or smart booster.... more will have to await my tests.

I'm sorry U are frustrated... but I have no other direct answer to your problem.

Richard
DCCconcepts

Richard - thanks for that - it sounds like the NCE Smart Booster may be the most economical answer - can you confirm that it increases the size of the recall stack beyond 2 locos and if so, to what number of locos?
Many thanks, Phil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (dieselweasel @ 17 Jan 2008, 14:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Richard - yes Ive emailed them a polite email, and stated that a purchase depends on a satisfactory response.

Looking forward to wiggys response with his older firmware.....

Can you let me know what NCE say to you when/if they get back to you? I went for the Powercab instead of the Dynamis (same price) not thinking that something as fudamental (in my opinion) as this would be an issue. However given Richard's latest post it does seem odd, given that as he says, US modellers do like their lights!!
Thanks, Phil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sadly turning on "FUNCTION REFRESH" doesn't solve this problem - tried that last night - I believe the default function is function refresh "off" however. The problem also happens with NCE decoders and judging by the response I have just had from NCE (see below) this is simply a limitation of the Powercab system - and a fairly fundamental one in my view, given that the Hornby DCC systems and the Dynamis do not suffer from this and they also cost less. The issue is that when you select a third loco it will default to all functions off no matter how the decoder is set - this is a Powercab issue not a decoder issue - I can set my LokSound decoder to keep all functions on and if there is a power outage or if its loses power over points, sure enough it will remember the function settings and restore all functions when power is restored and even restore sound where it left off - but when I try to select it as a third loco with the Powercab, all functions switch off, end of story:

"Dr. Porter,

That is the way the low cost Power Cab works. If you select loco 1 then press RECALL, then select loco 2 then press RECALL, then press select loco 3, the first 2 will continue to run until you select loco 1 again. This will stop loco 1.

We had to minimized SOME of the functionality of the Power Cab to make it sellable at $189.95.

If you add an optional cab you can increase your constant running of locos to 1 more with the Cab04p and 2 more with the Pro Cab."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have to say that I agree with you - if I had known this before I wouldnt have gone for the Powercab and will now be selling mine or sending it back to the supplier for a trade-in. Have ordered a Bachmann Dynamis (which doesnt have the "everything off when loco number 3 is selected" function!) but very annoyed that I will almost certainly be losing money here. Why has this issue never appeared in any of the reviews?

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 17 Jan 2008, 19:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I upgraded because it fixed some bugs and added new functions...oh and it was new firmware!!

I was very happy with it, the olny major issue was if you had a short circuit, the screen would turn back on all scrambled with lots of different characters on it.
You had to switch the power on/off to clear the screen back to normal mode, I got used to this, but also fitted a few light bulbs in series with the supply so that these lit up and stopped the screen from crashing.
This has been fixed with the new firmware.

I have sent Larry an email at NCE and asked if I could buy a replacement chip with the new features and bug fixes but with the old way of switching to different locos.

You can try John at Bromsgrove to see if he has any of the old chips, the old version is V1.10 the new one is V1.28.

Will let you know what the reply is.
It seems as though they have had complaints that the locos were still running so have stopped this in the new firmware, problem now is lots of us have quite a few locos with functions on that we want to keep running, which way do they go?
Sorry I don't agree with that at all!
The PowerCab is more than capable or running 4-5 locos I would say 3 with functions switched on.
Your saying spend another £150 ontop of the £95 I spent when I first bought the PowerCab...£250 to run more than 2 locos...I think not!!

Horses for courses we all have our own opinions and we can go round in circles ending up like the oosalam bird
, the point is we have found a solution to the problem, lets see if NCE can provide the V1.28 firmware but with the old loco control.
I believe that will make many people very happy with the PowerCab as I think this is about the only major negative issue that has been found with it.
Oh just read through the posts......The Smart Booster doesn't increase the amount of locos in the recall stack!!!

It gives 3amps to the track, allows a further 3 cabs to be connected and allows the cabs to be completely removed and plugged in somewhere else true walkabout.

I have to agree with you here - if NCE can resolve this problem then it is an excellent entry level system in every other respect. I don't agree however with the suggestion posted earlier that this is an acceptable omission from an entry level system. Yes, one cant expect everything for 90 quid - far from it - many of the advanced features of DCC I do not want and do not need at this stage in my modelling, hence my decision to opt for the Powercab rather than a Lenz 100 or one of the other higher spec systems - you do indeed get what you pay for.

But as I have stated earlier, in my personal opinion one of the great attractions of DCC is the ability to stable and run locos with lights permanently on - I can draw my train into a station with lights ablaze and engine ticking over (and I'm glad I went DCC because my lights stay on even though the train is now stationary); while my imaginary passengers are boarding I can then shunt a couple of locos in the yard, and once thats done I go back to my passenger train to realistically pull away with my headlights still blazing and my engine ticking over - and that to me is one of the major attractions of DCC - but if I try to perform this task using my Powercab it wont work as we have discovered. Maybe I'm being too picky here, but I would have thought this sort of function control in my train playing scenario would be standard on all systems, entry level or otherwise? I'm not going to say any more on this and just hope that NCE will take heed of the various e-mails and correct this issue, which will then leave them with what is probably the best entry level DCC system on the market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.