Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have bought a new NCE Power Cab from America and a second hand DCC Arnold Loco from Ebay and I have setup just a piece of straight track.

With the Loco I do not know what the Loco number is currently set at, is there a way to read this ?

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (MunichDave @ 16 Feb 2009, 16:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

I have bought a new NCE Power Cab from America and a second hand DCC Arnold Loco from Ebay and I have setup just a piece of straight track.

With the Loco I do not know what the Loco number is currently set at, is there a way to read this ?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum

Have your track connected and follow the instructions in your manual (Programming a loco address) press Prog/Esc four times to get the use prog track display then enter ...... place your loco on the track press 1 as long as you dont get a readback cant read cv press prog/esc until you get the display as page 1 of your manual ... press select loco put in 03 enter and try the loco if it runs it has been set back to factory settings, in this case you can go ahead and give the loco its address as detailed on page 2 of your manual i use the road number the loco has a good and easy way at a quick glance to know its address.

If the loco doesnt work on 03 try a decoder reset on your programme track pressing 2 then CV 8 ... enter 8 enter .... this should reset the decoder to allow the loco to run on address 03 keep us informed how you go on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upnick thanks

On Programming track

pressed prog 4 times then pressed enter.

Get the response Main Off cannot read CV

·
Registered
153 Posts
...and you've hit the point the manual lets you down.

Hi Dave, I've recently bought a PowerCab and the manual at this point simply tells you you have an unresponsive decoder - no advice on how to deal with it that I've ever found!

My response was the take the loco in question and get it looked at, the chip was malfunctioning.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (MunichDave @ 16 Feb 2009, 18:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Upnick thanks

On Programming track

pressed prog 4 times then pressed enter.

Get the response Main Off cannot read CV

Hi Dave,

Clean the track and the wheels of the locos and retry it could be a speck of dirt on the wheels/track, and retry the method above ..... this has solved it for me a few times.

Just a question is the loco definatley fitted with a decoder or DCC ready if this is the case when it is on the track it will buzz.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something strange,

On Program track.

after pressing enter twice after Main Off cannot read CV, the train moved on the program track, screen says :-

Active address: Long

setup Addr 1=yes

Is there some hope here ?

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (MunichDave @ 16 Feb 2009, 20:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Something strange,

On Program track.

after pressing enter twice after Main Off cannot read CV, the train moved on the program track, screen says :-

Active address: Long

setup Addr 1=yes

Is there some hope here ?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Will send you a PM

Edit .... PM sent

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts

You can shortcut that getting to programme track mode by pressing of the PGM button four times - Instead, just press PGM, the number 4 and enter.

Yes, you can now simply proceed and programme. If the decoder is good, it will take. If it doesn't, try the reset - try CV 8 to 8 and it should become #3 - if not try CV30 to 2 and retry at # 3.

Richard

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,

A big thank you for your advice, I bought the Loco as new from the Ebay dealer, I took it to my local MRS today and he tried it and had the same problem as I did.

After contacting the Ebay seller he has asked me to return it, as I didnt want to wreck 130 euros I have held off trying to program the loco as I would like it to work as intended, just unlucky with this first time out.

Thanks again

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (MunichDave @ 17 Feb 2009, 21:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Guys,

A big thank you for your advice, I bought the Loco as new from the Ebay dealer, I took it to my local MRS today and he tried it and had the same problem as I did.

After contacting the Ebay seller he has asked me to return it, as I didnt want to wreck 130 euros I have held off trying to program the loco as I would like it to work as intended, just unlucky with this first time out.

Thanks again

Dave

Hi Dave,

Glad you got the loco sorted out .....good luck with the next one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One week on and we now have success, My lovely wife took me to our local MRS and bought me a new Fleischmann 87077, we had it checked in the shop before we bought it home, and we tried it as is on our own layout, Arhh same problem as last time could not read the CV, I in between had done alot more manual reading and internet surfing and I came to the conclusion that our track bus wire might be just a bit to thick, we reduced it and way hey we started to read the CV on the program track, the loco started to move as it should, we had a few places where we had stalls but a few extra drop wires solved that.

So we have one engine that goes round the base level without a problem, next to start on level two.

Question; on the base level we will have six hidden points which will be under a mountain, I wanted to try out a Lenz LS 150, I get it to switch one way only to the branch, I have wired as per the Lenz manual, any ideas why it will not switch back to norm, I m using Arnold points?

Thanks

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Dave,

Your problems seem to down to the bus wire/droppers then ..... nice to have your loco going round and all well makes the work getting there worth while i'm sure you will agree.

Sorry cant help with the Lenz sure someone will have the answer soon ...... good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts