Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
HI

A very short while ago, the issue of loco's having their lights and sound turned off by the revised NCE software in the Procab via the function refresh function which happenned automatically in version 1.28 of the PowerCab...

There was some discussion of this on MRF which some forum members, Ian among them, then also took and presented very well to the NCE Yahoo list. The issue was actually one that had not surfaced before and not seen as a problem by most US modellers, however some patient explaination got the message through very well indeed.

One of NCE's more sensible and helpful "bet a testers" picked up the issue, did some checking and corresponded off lists to myself and Ian, carefully quantifying the issue and making sure it was clearly understood. He then took it to NCE who have, in the period of only a few weeks, already taken action!

Here is the email I (and Ian) recently received from him on the subject.

I've just received my Feb 2 2008 EPROM to beta test and that problem that Ian was having with the sound and headlights going OFF when re-selecting a loco, has been changed by giving the user an option in the Command Station Setup, called "SEL LOCO REFRESH" - Enable Yes or No. Select "No" and the sound and lights do NOT reset. Just what Ian wanted.[/color] The trouble is, this is in the Power Pro. I am sure NCE will implement this into the Power Cab, but I'll have to wait for the code for the Power Cab and they are different EPROMs. Anyway NCE is listening to users wishes.

I should emphasise that:
* We were really lucky that we hit the timing just right for this change and presented it well so it could be quickly understood and taken on board as the new EPROM was already under development....

* This is the first test of the new 2008 EPROM upgrade that will be created for both Powerhouse Pro and PowerCab.

* It will take some time for testing to be complete, and then NCE will announce its availability - this could be several months as every bit of the new code has to be 100% proven before new chips are available to all NCE owners.

* Please be patient and don't hassle NCE or your dealer for a quicker answer - as soon as its available, one way or another, you will be quickly find out and / or be advised.

For the information of those that do not own NCE they produce a new up-rated chip for all their systems regularly so no matter how long ago you bought it, your NCE will always be up to date, and in 2008, NCE can again be totally refreshed to "new spec" by every owner as replacement is easily done by any careful modeller and its not expensive at all....

Well done NCE, and well done Ian and other MRF members for taking a good subject, presenting it well and getting the attention of a major DCC manufacturer!

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Marvellous news - good stuff all round from the forum members and NCE themselves.

It seems to be the best "starter plus" system out there, but this little niggle put me off buying one. When they filter through to the shops with this mod then I'll get the credit card out.

2 week old baby boy taking up all modelling time at the moment !!

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
Richard,

You give me too much credit!!

It is fantastic news though!
Just goes to show that some manufacturers do actually want to keep their customers, shame this sort of service isn't always offered by many of them.

Look forward to the new software when it arrives with any other improvements that maybe implemented!

Good old NCE!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I can confirm that there is a new version for the PowerCab (1.28b) - I have had it and been testing it for about 10 days now and it works fine and in the same way as described above for the PowerPro EPROM. In fact I had a long discussion with NCE and they modified the chip over the weekend and sent it to me within 5 days of the original discussion. I would like to see some of the other DCC manufacturers respond in this timescale!

As Richard says, let NCE work out the strategy for making this resouce more widely available. It might well be that they will add more functionality to any final release - I have already given them a couple of things to add!!

Regards

John Russell
Bromsgrove Models

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats great news Richard, well done and a big thanks to NCE for listening to it's customers. I wish other companies would follow their example.

What sort of other things did you ask them to add John?

Bruce.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for this John. Can I be a bit cheeky ? Any chance you can PM me when the "new" upgraded Powercabs start to ship ? I realise it won't be in the near future, but please keep me updated.

I'm genuinely impressed with the way that NCE have responded here. It takes some balls to actually listen to comments and take things on board, and admit that there was a problem. Okay, they didn't get it right, but they didn't foresee the problem, and their speed in implementing a fix is excellent . Its probably only a minor code amendment, but these things still need to be tested to make sure other things don't creep in.....and that can't be rushed through.

Another thread on this (or another website) comments on how useful the internet and forums like this are in highlighting prolems and getting them resolved.

How the dickens would we have fathomed this out - so quickly too - without the internet !!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Our delivery of NCE PowerCabs, received yesterday, have the latest version of the EPROM 1.28b.

I also have a VERY small number of 1.28b EPROMS at £2.50 each (incl. VAT and P&P to UK postal addresses) if there are existing PowerCab users who would like the new EPROM, which will provide the ability to keep lights and sounds on when locos are out of the stack. Please email initially to check we have some left and I will provide payment details.

Regards

John R
Bromsgrove Models

1 - 8 of 8 Posts