Administrator
9,942 Posts
Simple question:

Are you going to motorise the points?

David

·
Administrator
9,942 Posts
I am not a great fan of that particular Peco switch. It is stiff in operation and consists of little more than a copper coated strip sliding back and forth. If you don't fancy going the whole hog for the more sophisticated Peco microswitch contraption (cost ~ £5) it occurs to me that you could mount one of this switches type next to the tie bar so that it gets flipped when the switch changes over. Peco do sell these switches in pairs (part number PL33) I think for about £3.00.

I had intended to fit motorise my points with Peco motors and the twin microswitch but the thought of cutting all those holes does not appeal, works out quite expensive and has a very "snappy" action. I spotted a Fulgurex motor in the model shop I frequent and noticed that when you add in the cost of the microswitches, it works out a little cheaper. It only needs one small hole through the base board, has a slow action and comes with two SPDT switches as standard. The only downside is fitting it since you have to bend the activating wire "just so" under the baseboard. This, I have not yet attempted, so I don't know whether I am going to prefer it or not.

David

·
Administrator
9,942 Posts
Has any one here got Fulgurex style motors controlled via DCC? I gather it is not quite as straight forward as solenoids because of the continuous current. I know that you can buy a "Hare" control for a "Tortoise". Visit C&L Finescale. Purveyors of Tortoise and Hare. for details, but the size of that hare would feed a family for a week!

David

·
Administrator
9,942 Posts
>The other makes above also require you to remove the spring in the Peco points
I was thinking that might be necessary. At least the points I have don't have those little springy slider contacts underneath.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts