Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'll second Ozzie21 on the Tortoise point motors. They are very good.

Solanoid type motors like Peco, Seep and Hornby etc; are a bit crude in my opinion.
The "SNAP" action is rather toy like and un-prototypical.

However, many modellers are happy to use them, even when they are sticklers for detail and accurracy elsewhere on their layouts.

I guess it's what you want or will put up with.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Average prices for Tortoise motors in the UK are £12 to £13 inc. VAT, but if you shop around you should pay no more than £10 (and less for multiple purchases).
US prices are about the equivalent of £7.50 I think.

They have two switched outputs for signals, frog switching, control panel lights or whatever.

Expensive? yes!
Peco plus switches are cheaper but you are getting a lot more with the tortoise.
Plus no CDU required, saving some money.
Not much more expensive for a much better product (just my opinion).
As they say, "Yer pays yer money and yer makes yer choice!"

Other slow action point motors include kit made designs, Fulgurex, and a number of Continental European brands. I would like to explore some of these options myself.

For the "experimentor" there's Memory Wire; "stealth technology"
now that could be fun??

If solenoids are acceptable, then Seep make a good alternative to Peco.

If you want cheap prices, then you generally get cheap products.
More important to me is "value for money", so let's be thankful we have a range of options open to us.

The Viessmann range of products intrigues me. I have often wondered if I could employ some of their electronic modules. There's not much help online as they are largely unknown to UK modellers.
And yes, they are pricey!

As for control of points/switches/turnouts and route setting, I too would prefer the software approach using a PC and something like RailRoad & Co, but for now, that's a long distance aim.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts