Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im re-furbishing an old hornby dublo 2-6-4 tank loco running number 80054 i have stripped back the old paint work, made some minor repairs to the casting and have primed, and given it a matt black colour finish, but now im not sure how to approach the next operation, i want to keep the smoke box in matt black, along with the coal, but want the rest of the loco to be in a satin finish, i thought of using a spray varnish to acheive this, and masking theareas as required, but is this the right way to do it, and what spray varnishes are available / should i use?, and where best to get them.?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
276 Posts
QUOTE (Thunder @ 4 Oct 2007, 20:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im re-furbishing an old hornby dublo 2-6-4 tank loco running number 80054 i have stripped back the old paint work, made some minor repairs to the casting and have primed, and given it a matt black colour finish, but now im not sure how to approach the next operation, i want to keep the smoke box in matt black, along with the coal, but want the rest of the loco to be in a satin finish, i thought of using a spray varnish to acheive this, and masking theareas as required, but is this the right way to do it, and what spray varnishes are available / should i use?, and where best to get them.?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I'd spray a thin gloss varnish, apply the lining, then overspray satin. All the appropriate varnishes are available,gloss,satin, or matt- but I also add thinned dirty black to 'dull down', as my locos have that used look, but not over-weathered as many are tempted to, I also prefer a red-oxide primer, and let a little of it show thro' in areas where rust might show.
Paul M.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Hello thunder.

What livery is it going to be in?
Decals need a gloss serface to adhear to.
My next step would be to line the loco (if you are doing this buy hand then the matt finish is much easier to line.) next comes a light coat of gloss varnish then your decals.
You should really give it another light coat of gloss varnish to hide the decal carrier film. but personally i do tend to skip this step and go straight to the satin varnish. i would actually put satin all over the loco and then mask off the areas you dont want in matt. then spray the matt varnish.

Take a close look at coal. its not matt. if its clean (and alot of coal is because it has been washed) then its actually quite glossy. its difficult to do this on a model so i would recommend that you get a piece of real coal and crush it up and glue and sprinkle some onto the coal bunker. it should look fine.

On the other hand the Coke for your wagons IS matt.

I wouldnt do ti with a spray can. do it with an airbrush.

If you dont have one you are more than welcome to pop down and we can tacke the project together. i am only at kings cross. its only a short hop down from luton to st pancras. and about a 3 minute walk from there to my home.

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts