Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I recently started using the woodland scenic cement to glue down my ballast.

I've done a small test section of around 8cm of track first to see the results. I've been waiting for around 4 hours and the ballast is still not set. I was wondering if anyone has used this before and knows how long it takes for the cement on the gravel to set solid?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I'm afraid 1 day for solid rock hardness.

Also depends on the cement/water ratio.

I use 1 part cement to 4 parts water and wee bit of washing detergent.

Baykal

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the information, im not that bothered about the curing time of the cement; im just glad i now know how long it'll take for it to dry solid.

much appreciated

steamrailuk

·
Registered
116 Posts
You may well find that you have to apply the scenic cement more than once - possibly several times. It depends on what ballast you are using; different types vary in their readiness to stick together.

The Scenic Cement, though excellent stuff for many purposes, is not the stickiest fluid. It is also expensive. It is basically an acrylic varnish. I have found ordinary matt acrylic varnish (I have a tin of Ronseal at present) more economical and better at sticking ballast. I apply a pretty strong solution if the ballast is reluctant to stick. As it dries clear it is not like the commonly used PVA, which turns the ballast white if administered insufficiently diluted.

I find that Carr's ballast is the easiest to make set, probably because it is made from wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts