Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All
I have only room enough for a 40" by 64" layout, I'm interested in a freight yard layout with Small to Medium sized Locomotives and cars.

I would like a few switches for two loops and a few sidings. Is this possible with a 40" by 64" layout?

Does anyone have any plans they can share for such a layout?

I have one problem with RTS, I can figure out how to make the grid that size, it shows a 4' by 8' layout and I don't see or understand how to rescale it to size. When I place the tracks on it, it shows the tracks out of scale. How do you resizs the scale of the grid and the tracks to fit in the grid?

Ron:)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi Ron. Providing you're not intending to run long trains, you should be manage to get a good size yard into a 40" x 64" layout. Also if you go for dual leveling, you should be able to work in a a loop or two for continous running.
Would I be right in thinking you'll be modelling American railroad? If so I notices a few nicely detailed layouts in the Continental Modeller from a few months back.

What period are you thinking of building?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Al
I'm building an HO layout, USA raillines.

QUOTE (Al @ 31 Dec 2007, 14:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ron. Providing you're not intending to run long trains, you should be manage to get a good size yard into a 40" x 64" layout. Also if you go for dual leveling, you should be able to work in a a loop or two for continous running.
Would I be right in thinking you'll be modelling American railroad? If so I notices a few nicely detailed layouts in the Continental Modeller from a few months back.

What period are you thinking of building?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, alastairq
Thanks, I'll look into those websites.

Ron:)

QUOTE (alastairq @ 31 Dec 2007, 15:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>http://www.carendt.us/scrapbook/linkindex/index.html
and

http://www.carendt.us/index.html

might throw up some good ideas?
what scale are you using?

with over 5 foot of length, you COULD build a 'timesaver' switching layout....but would only need about 12 to 18 inches of width?
This would be for HO.

If using N scale, then there is plenty of width for a continuous run......
but have you thought about TT gauge?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts