Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Sol @ 13 Jul 2007, 08:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bachmann all have NEM pockets & have different heights between locos, coaches & goods. Why the difference in heights?
No good excuse, I don't think. Mainly two different ways of putting a chasis together. It's just annoying they do this.

QUOTE (Sol @ 13 Jul 2007, 08:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dapol none fitted - why not?
OO is not Dapol's core business any more, but they keep it going with mainly special-order private owner wagons and repeats of the same bodies in different liveries. I guess in that low-cost strategy, there is no room to retool their chasis.

It's quite astonishing that no retooling of non-standard chasis is done, especially if you consider how very little different coach bogies and wagon chasis there actually are.

I'm sure it's continually reported to them too - but they must have decided it's not a good return on investment.

I guess unless they have proof that it will up their sales, they're not going to move.

Walter

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Nozomi @ 17 Jul 2007, 18:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have converted all my rolling stock [non-continental] with ROCO couplers [adjustable/standard types] as I was sick to death of all various UK makers couplers non-compatability with each other and I wanted to standardize.

Cheers,

Bryan.

Hi Bryan,

I'd quite like to see a couple of photos of how you've done this.

I guess the UK makers assume that either you are happy with the hotch-potch of couplings and won't change anything, or you're a keen DIY-er who is going to hack them all off anyway and fit Kadee No5s, Sprat & Winkle, etc... Rightly or wrongly, they seem to think there is no middle ground and no-one who wants to swap one NEM compatible coupling with another NEM compatible coupling.

Bachmann on occasion use something else - they have a continental style coupling between the units of their 108 DMU for instance, and I think they look a lot better than the tension lock ones.

Thx,

Walter

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.